Want oopinions on Savage 17 HMR rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Anyone had experience with the Savage 17 HMR bolt action rifle and can advise me if they are good guns. Is the 17 HMR caliber a flat shootin' round? What would be its maximum effective range, etc. Appreciate any info yall can provide. Thinking about one that is being offered to me in a trade, it has a 3x9x50 scope on it and a heavy target barrel. What would it be worth in yalls opinion?

Last edited:

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    I have one... bought it new from Cabela's... She can keep a 5 shot group inside a dime at 100yards... as long as their is no wind.... ONE accurate little rifle!! very accurate!! you wont be sorry... Mine shoots best with the cci FMJ...

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Have one for a few years, great shooter, love mine. Like to blow up crows especially through the suppressor. Make sure you get a good scope to really see what this rifle can do.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I set one up for my neighbor, he bough the Stainless Steel with the spiral flutted barrel and the thumb hole stock, he topped it off with a Millet TRS-1, its a tack driver and super fun to shoot, it was an expensive toy BUT def worth the money IMO super flat shooting

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I set one up for my neighbor, he bough the Stainless Steel with the spiral flutted barrel and the thumb hole stock, he topped it off with a Millet TRS-1, its a tack driver and super fun to shoot, it was an expensive toy BUT def worth the money IMO super flat shooting

I have got basically the same gun but I haven't got a scope on it yet... What do you recommend?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I was very impressed by the TRS-1 to tell you the truth, other with more experience will chime in BUT I thought it was well worth the price eventhough its not one of the TOP budget buys or brands in the market, Osprey is also NOT bad for something like that.

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    It's very accurate. Very little drop on that round. The rifle is nice also, can't find any complaints about it. My father-in-law got one for Christmas awhile back and I got the chance to shoot it a few times. I'd take the .17 over a .22 for the purpose of the rifle, which is either target or varmint. If you scoped one, I'd guess this could be accurate up to about 200 yards, then it'll probably run out of oomph. But I'm not a pro on the topic, I just know I like the round. Perfect for rabbit, squirrel or any other small varmint...and of course that ever elusive paper bullseye.

~rc~

Oneadam12

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Liberty, MS
    Great little rifle, especially out to 100 yards. I haven't shot it past that, but I suspect it will hold up to around 200 with no problem.

Lone Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have a .17 hmr in a CZ 453 rifle. I really love the set trigger on it. Puts them in the same hole @ 100 yards. Have not shot it @ 200, but I see no problem doing so. Would love to shoot a coyote with it.

Top Bottom