Want to build an AR. All opinions welcomed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilSVT

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Lafayette
    Me and my son were looking to build an AR 15. I don't want to buy an already built out-of-the-box weapon. The reason is, I want to make sure all the parts that are put in it are to my specifications. I don't mind spending a little bit of money, but I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money. This weapon will have high use, but also wanted to be very accurate and last a long time. I'm looking for the best bang for your buck build. I'd like to know what's the best twist rate and who makes a good upper, lower, and what parts are a must not skimp part. All opinions are greatly welcomed and will be appreciated.

I know a good deal about pistols but I don't know much about the at platform other than our use an m16 and m4 in the military. I also would like to keep the weapon in a carbine setting

I'm not concerned with optics at this point and I'm also not concerned with accessories at this point. I do however, want to flattop with no fixed sites and no carry handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    What caliber, and what do you want to use if for?

I am not an AR expert, but I would buy the upper, and build the lower.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Buy a Colt 6920, take it apart and put it back together. :p

Really though that's about the best bang for the buck for a properly spec'd rifle. If you really want to build, the barrel and BCG are the heart and soul of the rifle. I'd start with a BCM or DD barrel, 16" 1:7 midlength. BCM or LMT BCG.

Uppers, lowers and other components are much less a factor and there's a ton out there to choose from that will get the job done. BCM, Aero Precision, DD, Colt all make good stuff just to name a few.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    Me and my son were looking to build an AR 15. I don't want to buy an already built out-of-the-box weapon. The reason is, I want to make sure all the parts that are put in it are to my specifications. I don't mind spending a little bit of money, but I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money. This weapon will have high use, but also wanted to be very accurate and last a long time. I'm looking for the best bang for your buck build. I'd like to know what's the best twist rate and who makes a good upper, lower, and what parts are a must not skimp part. All opinions are greatly welcomed and will be appreciated.

I know a good deal about pistols but I don't know much about the at platform other than our use an m16 and m4 in the military. I also would like to keep the weapon in a carbine setting

I'm not concerned with optics at this point and I'm also not concerned with accessories at this point. I do however, want to flattop with no fixed sites and no carry handle

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are looking to build a 223?

If I could choose any pieces to assemble for a precision gun:

Upper Receiver: SCR-11 Upper Receiver. Machined 7075-T6 billet aluminum side charge upper receiver
    Lower Receiver: SCR-11 Lower Receiver Machined 7075-T6 billet aluminum lower receiver
    Receiver Finish: Matte Black Receiver Color Matte black anodized receiver set and hand guard.
    Caliber: 223 wylde
    Barrel: 22" .223/5.56 NATO JP Supermatch cryogenically treated stainless steel barrel 22" length ● 1:8 twist ● medium contour
    Barrel/Comp Finish: Black Teflon, Black Teflon on barrel and muzzle treatment to give matte black finish
    Muzzle Treatment: JPTRE-412 JP Standard-Profile Compensator 1" x 2.25" .281 Exit Matte Black
    Comp Attachment method: Blended attachment The muzzle treatment is attached to the barrel via thread, timed and blended for seamless transition. No welding or pinning is used.
    Hand Guard: JPHG-6M JP Modular Hand Guard, Extra Length (15.5* OAL). Requires minimized gas block.
    Gas System: JPGS-8 JP Adjustable Gas System Low profile .936" bore Black Aluminum
    Heat Sink: Red JP Thermal Dissipator, long for JP .650" contour barrels. The JP Thermal Dissipator far exceeds traditional fluting for transferring heat from the barrel.
    Buttstock: Magpul PRS, Black Magpul Precision Rifle Stock
    Operating System: JPBC-2 JP Full Mass Stainless Carrier with JP Enhanced Bolt
    Operating Spring: JPSCS-AR15 AR-15 Silent Captured Spring
    Trigger: 3.0-pound JP competition trigger
    Grip: Hogue grip, Black
    JP Tactical Rail for 12:00 position, 12" rifle length (just incase i want to mount a night vision converter)
    JP Tactical Rail Kit, 2" Section (6:00 position to mount an Atlas)

Then I would buy all of the BlackHills remanufactured 75gr ammo I could and go to town.

Although take the DDM4V9, throw in a Geissele and replace the stock with a prs, and that would be a cheaper alternative :)

Last edited:

EvilSVT

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Lafayette
    Yes. .223/5.56. Intended for 100m to 300m engagements. Used for Range and home/land protection. No competition

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I recently built my own AR, for very very cheap, built if for just under 500, so rewarding to build yourself...

lattin1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    I'd go big when purchasing the barrel, the upper receiver and the BCG. Everything else just use bargain brands. DPMS or Anderson lower and a lower parts kit, gas block/tube, and a stock. Done

squirrels2k

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Alexandria
    Evry time I build an ar for someone the question I ask them repeatedly throughout the process is "what specifically do you want to use it for ?" By answering that question you can base every item on the rifles around it. If your wanting adjustability and manuverability, precision, the distance you want that precision at... The types of hunting and shooting you will do most....

You can also get real good quality parts at decent prices if you take your time. But always keep that first question in mind.

I can recommend companies like mega for receiver sets, rainier arms for barrels and handgaurds, rra was having a great deal on their two stage nm lower parts kits the other day....

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I love mechanical projects but sadly don't know enough about them to even begin this task. So, I bought mine instead. It'd be pretty cool to put one together- I say do it if you've got the know-how.

may start reading up on this... it'd be good fun.

1911arkain

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    NOLA
    Before I started even pricing out the parts, I went looking on youtube for videos about building one. Let me recommend sootch00's channel. He has an AR video section all about building and maintaining them. Even has quite a few review videos on different AR parts.

Built my AR with PSA blem lower and parts kit, ambi safety and charge handle (I'm a lefty), Surplus Arms and Ammo pre-built upper (comes with flat top, Magpul handgaurd, and gasblock with rail top and bottom) ((guy sent me a magpul gen3 mag and kershaw knife as well)). All is well with the gun and she shoots like a dream.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Watch a youtube video.

I love mechanical projects but sadly don't know enough about them to even begin this task. So, I bought mine instead. It'd be pretty cool to put one together- I say do it if you've got the know-how.

may start reading up on this... it'd be good fun.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    AR's are simple to put together, they are like big kid lego's! The only thing you need special tools for is if you assemble the upper from scratch, lowers are simple

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Also if you want good mags and dont want to spend a fortune, Academy carries CAA mags without the window, the ones the Israeli military uses now, for 10 bucks...

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    First problem I ran into was realizing that the AR I bought was not the AR I wanted. Light vs heavy barrel, what length, etc. Shoot a bunch of them before spending money...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom