Want to by a 9mm...need suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Snooping around on the interenet, I came across some used imported CZ75's...looks like a great deal at a little over $300. Does anyone know if these are SA only or DA/SA?

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    All the Glocks and M&Ps are great choices. If you don't plan to ever use it for concealed carry, I suggest the fullsize in either. I'm not a fan of the longslide for a house gun. It wll make a nice target shooter, but that extra sight radius isn't nearly as helpful inside your house.

I only use glocks for carry. The M&Ps are just as good and you might actually find them to be a bit more comfortable ergonomically. But keep in mind that if you want a nice crisp trigger, you'll probably end up wanting to get the apex trigger kit. I like that the Glocks come with a good trigger out of the box, because I don't like the idea of aftermarket internals on my HD guns.

ryan572

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Monroe, LA
    CZ 75 B. If you can find one with the Omega trigger, then get it. I have one and find it VERY accurate. The feel of the trigger is great also.
    2011-04-24_17-00-46_776.jpg

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    Tried a CZ75 single action, beretta 92, and g34. So far the G34fits the best. Think I'm spoiled to the trigger pull...consistent and quick reset. Really want to try the M&P to see how it compares.

Last edited:

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I like the others and shot them well, but I think I have to much time behind the G17. It wd take a while to score good hits on the first shot w the beretta...trigger pull is way long in DA. The CZ shot nice, just not crazy about the SA only. Was this made in a DAO?

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The CZ75B SA is not a typical configuration. I use one for Limited 10 Division in USPSA. It's an excellent firearm. The typical CZ75 is DA first then SA next. The CZ85 had a decocker but most didn't. If you wanted it DA so you wouldn't have a safety to fumble around with you'd have to pull the trigger on a live round and carefully lower the hammer. Otherwise it was SA from the start. The CZ85 for example had a decocker so that you could lower the hammer with the decocker and not pull the trigger on a live round. I have not read too much about the new Omega trigger so I'm not sure how it works. If you like the CZ75 you can also look at the Baby Eagle from Magnum Research. It's a copy of the Jerico pistol (which is a copy of the CZ75) from Israel and is also an excellent handgun. EAA imports Tangfoglio handguns which copies of the CZ design and have MANY different flavors. The 9mm Luger chambered handgun market is vast and wide with many quality choices. The GLOCK, M&P, CZ, Sig, XM, H&K etc all have very good reliable, accurate handguns made in that caliber. Honestly it'd be hard to go too wrong with any of them. That's why I suggest shooting as many as you can and see which one you like the best.

Dave

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I think I'm leaning toward a pistol with a glock-like trigger...one action. Anyone try the Sig DAK or the HK LEM? Besides these and the M&P and the XD, what other DAO pistol w similar triggers am I missing?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I think I'm leaning toward a pistol with a glock-like trigger...one action. Anyone try the Sig DAK or the HK LEM? Besides these and the M&P and the XD, what other DAO pistol w similar triggers am I missing?

Bayou Shooter members could supply almost any 9mm pistol you would want to try if you made a trip to Precision in Baton Rouge on a Monday evening.

ryan572

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Monroe, LA
    I have also heard stories, hopefully true, that Steyr will soon be bringing the M9-A1 back over. After shooting the M40-A1, I would only hope the the M9-A1 is at least half as good.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

The DAK is... different. You ought to try one for yourself, as I've discovered using words to describe it seems to fall short.

I have to admit that the LEM has grown on me quite a bit in recent months. Not my cup of tea really, but I do admit it's a pretty nice feel.

Keep in mind that striker fired pistols and true DAO are going to produce very different feels-- and even two different guns with the same trigger style can vary greatly as well. If you're really into the Glock style, you might not like anything different. (As always, give them a try first.)

You are leaving out Walthers, that have varying trigger options that produce varying feels. The P99QA is the most like a Glock-style pull in that group. Also, Kahrs and some Taurus pistols-- but... avoid them. :ninja:

Top Bottom