Want to get better at long range shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishimani

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2023
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Hello everyone!

Like the title says, I'm looking to get better at "long range"(arbitrary but I think dime groupings at 100 yds is where I want to start) shooting. I've got a decent amount of time behind a rifle but it was navy training many years ago, and hell, I wasn't able to score above sharpshooter back then and that was an m16 with iron sights. I'd still consider myself a novice compared to many on here. My current plan is to get a .22lr caliber rifle so I can spend days and days at the range without needing a second morgtage for ammo and combing youtube and lurking on forums. Is this a good route? I shoot at sherburne wma public range because I'm cheap. Anyone know of a long range range near Lafayette? Gun reccomendations? Is this the right track? Thank you in advance for any tips and/or advice.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    If you are starting with a .22lr it’s imperative that you find what ammo the rifle likes. When I put together a precision 10/22 I probably tested 15 different cartridges while I was trying to determine which one worked best with my rifle.

Abu Josh

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Mandeville
    Hello everyone!

Like the title says, I'm looking to get better at "long range"(arbitrary but I think dime groupings at 100 yds is where I want to start) shooting. I've got a decent amount of time behind a rifle but it was navy training many years ago, and hell, I wasn't able to score above sharpshooter back then and that was an m16 with iron sights. I'd still consider myself a novice compared to many on here. My current plan is to get a .22lr caliber rifle so I can spend days and days at the range without needing a second morgtage for ammo and combing youtube and lurking on forums. Is this a good route? I shoot at sherburne wma public range because I'm cheap. Anyone know of a long range range near Lafayette? Gun reccomendations? Is this the right track? Thank you in advance for any tips and/or advice.
    Good Morning Shipmate,
    This is what you're looking for: https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?locationid=687&eventid=10130
    It's the BEST investment in training you'll make. They teach all of the basics to become proficient at out to 500 yards. https://appleseedinfo.org/programs/
    All you need is a Ruger 10/22, a USGI web sling, and around 400 rounds of ammo.
    Regards,
    Abu Josh

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    When I wanted to get into long range shooting I started going to the Palo Alto FPR Field Precision Rifle matches which are 600 yard prone shooting matches. I was using a 24 inch bull barrel AR I built specifically for this type of shooting. The longer the range you want to shoot the higher the quality of your gear needs to be to be very accurate. I found also that hand loading and load recipe was essential and took lots of time and effort to get it right for my particular rifle. I had some help with guys trained to do this sort of thing and they were a big help. But in the long run the amount of time/money I needed to get really good at this wasn't justified in my book. I did learn alot and glad I did it, but to improve beyond my current skill level would have too costly in time/money. I spent many weekends having a handful of different loads to try out, drove to a friends property before sunrise while the wind was calm, set up targets @ 100-200 yards which was all I could. Shoot each load and evaluate it for accuracy, sometimes 6 different loads. If I wasn't happy with them I had to got back and do it all over again.

I like the idea of using a good quality .22lr rifle to start and learn the basic's, but like 3fifty7 says you will need to do a lot of testing with your particular rifle to find the best ammo for it, then you can work on improving your skills. Good luck.

fishimani

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2023
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    First of all thank you all so much for your replies!

Here's how it's going so far:

-Traded my fn 509c pistol for a rifle albeit it wasn't what I was after. I currently am equipped with a weatherby vanguard in 7mm with a bushnell 6-24×40 scope.

-Watched youtube videos on how to use scopes and adjust them from nothing.

-eyeball boresighted my rifle by removing bolt and looking through barrel.

-tightened down the torx without loctite since I knew id be adjusting it.

-Went out and bought 2 boxes of ammo for it (at a ridiculous 2 bucks + a round) and headed off to the range today. Was going to Sherburne but it's closed Monday I guess. Ended up at the Franklin Sheriff Office Range.

-Bought a shooting stand so that I could be somewhat accurate sighting it in.

- attempted to sight in scope and ran out of clicks vertical elevation wise, rifle was shooting precisely but high and right at 100yds. Figured out the right part by adjusting those base screws since initially ran out of windage. Tonight i shimmed the rear scope ring with a piece of soda can in hopes of bringing the elevation within range of the scope.

Will continue to watch videos and practice with what I have until I can make a swap for a smaller caliber rifle. (Apparently stock, then optics is what I'll be upgrading so I don't spend all my piggy bank)

fishimani

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2023
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Good Morning Shipmate,
    This is what you're looking for: https://appleseedinfo.org/location/?locationid=687&eventid=10130
    It's the BEST investment in training you'll make. They teach all of the basics to become proficient at out to 500 yards. https://appleseedinfo.org/programs/
    All you need is a Ruger 10/22, a USGI web sling, and around 400 rounds of ammo.
    Regards,
    Abu Josh
    I really want to do this if work permits. Damn offshore work is sporadic so it's tough to plan for events like this but if I get the equipment this will be on my agenda for sure! Thank you!

fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I currently am equipped with a weatherby vanguard in 7mm with a bushnell 6-24×40 scope.

- attempted to sight in scope and ran out of clicks vertical elevation wise, rifle was shooting precisely but high and right at 100yds.
    If I may say the 7mm is a very expensive round to shoot which to learn long range shooting you will have to shoot alot! And @ $2 @ round it's going to be a expensive lesson.
    If you ran out of vertical adjustment at only 100 yds something is wrong, you should not have to shim nothing on a rifle scope mount just to sight in at 100. Carefully examine the scope and mount for issues, then use a laser boresight (in low light conditions helps alot) to sight in quicker if available.
    Good luck!

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I'm biased but would recommend service rifle competitions. There is a monthly match at the sheriff's range behind Cabelas in Gonzales. Those matches are 200 yards for service rifle and 300 yards for f-class.

Service rifle shooters are a friendly group and are always willing to help a new shooter. Shooting in service rifle competitions would help remove a lot of guess work for the right ammo, rifle, range, windage, etc. as we gladly share knowledge.

Once you get a feel for the shorter matches, you can move to the 600 yard range at Palo Alto.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom