Want to reload .223/5.56. What do I need?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    You realize that if you go to LA Gun and Reloading in BR you can buy a brand new 550b for $439? and that includes a caliber conversion kit which runs ~$45. The one on ebay does not include that caliber conversion kit.

I bought the last one they had from thier 2011 inventory for $429 back in Jan.

What is the difference between a caliber conversion kit and a die? I've googled it over and over trying to figure it out, but I'm coming up short.

cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    I would love to get into reloading, it seems like it would be fun but can someone tell me if I would actually save money? I was looking at the prices not only for all of the equipment but also the casings, bullets, powder and everything else that goes into it. It looks like I am better off buying bulk ammo. Can someone tell me how much it costs to make say 1000 rounds of quality .243/5.56 ammo not including the equipment? I am going to have to justify this to the wife! But man it seems like it would be something that I would enjoy.

Bookum

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Clinton La.
    Is not so much the cost savings as it is a hobby. You will save a bit of money, but it is more about make a better bullet that fits you gun or needs.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I would love to get into reloading, it seems like it would be fun but can someone tell me if I would actually save money? I was looking at the prices not only for all of the equipment but also the casings, bullets, powder and everything else that goes into it. It looks like I am better off buying bulk ammo. Can someone tell me how much it costs to make say 1000 rounds of quality .243/5.56 ammo not including the equipment? I am going to have to justify this to the wife! But man it seems like it would be something that I would enjoy.

From everything I have read and been told is that in reality you will not save money you might actually spend more. With that being said you will be able to shoot twice as much or more frequently. You will have a much lower cost per round that you shoot, that is about all.

If I am wrong someone will be along shortly to correct me.

:dunno:

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie

I'm at about 22 cents a round for the good stuff reloading .223 and I'm not buying those components in bulk yet.

Sent using Tapatalk

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    What is the difference between a caliber conversion kit and a die? I've googled it over and over trying to figure it out, but I'm coming up short.

As it relates to Dillon 550b...

Caliber conversion kits include, the shell plate, locator buttons and a powder funnel. The powder funnel slips inside the powder die and 'funnels' the powder from the powder drop into the case, on pistol cases it'll also bell the case mouth.

Dies... well dies are the dies.. Sizing/Decap, Powder, Seating, Crimping. or some combination thereof.

You need both the conversion kit and a set of dies for each caliber you load, although some calibers share the same shell plate/locator buttons.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Well I just got a Dillon 550b with case feeder, a scale, 9mm and 45acp and 38 conversion and dies, 40 die, an extra turret mount... some other stuff I'm forgetting... all for $650. Probably going to stay in my truck until a week or so after my wife's birthday (Monday) because I didn't get her a 650 gift. Lol.

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Egw makes a nice case gauge that has holes for all of those calibers. Saves a little on buying a case gauge for each individual caliber. Also I'd invest in the uniquetek powder micrometer knob. It's really handy if your using one powder measurer to do different calibers.

Sent using Tapatalk

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Sooo... unless I want a divorce I'm going to have to slow down on all this... Lol. Here's what I got so far (minus tumbler that wouldn't fit in the photo)

2012-03-19_09-21-05_576.jpg

cperron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Thanks for the answers guys. I would love to get into it but I may have to wait a little while and let the cost of the gun, optics, ammo and accesories settle down a little with the old lady! It looks like it would be a lot of fun!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Where are you from? If I end up moving into a house and setting up my shop I'll let you come out and mess around a bit on it once I've figured it out. I'll be in Slidell hopefully.

Last edited:

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Hornady 55 gr fmj with 22.5 gr of aa2230 using wolf primers. I pick up brass for free. Wideners has 6k Hornadys for $430 delivered. Local suppliers of powder have 8lb jugs of aa2230 for less than $140. The same goes for a 5k count case of primers.

Sent using Tapatalk

Conmo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    I still Have scale, believed I had passes away but can't find out them, press seperator.Will be running 9mm and 223, I am not sure how much experience you have side running, but typically...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom