Want to start fresh with my crawfish setup, need assistance on gear

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    So I used to live in an apartment complex but moved into a nice house last year. I haven't boiled or had the equipment in at least 3-4 years. Looking to buy new equipment and want to go quality.

I remember I had a WalMart pot/burner that was cheap and sucked. Was hard to control the temp of the burner, didn't have a basket on the inside, I want to spend better money this time around and get what's right. I have a garage I can store it in when not in use so not worried about someone stealing it.

What do you guys suggest? I need the whole setup. Burner, Pot, Basket, I'm guessing hampers to put the crawfish in, stirring stick, something to walk the crawfish on, etc.

shroom14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    prairieville ,la
    Bayou Classic makes double jet burner that works really well. I never used their regulators and a good regulator is important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I built my own burner but if I had to start over I'd get the bayou classic super duty double jet burner. I have their 80qt aluminum pot that boils one sack at a time I guess the stainless would be an upgrade but I don't know if its worth it. I also have a basket hook that I picked up somewhere that is a must have.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Yea I did some research and found their burners to be pretty decent. Was looking at this one - http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sp1_propane_jet_burner.htm

As far as pots go, I was thinking an 80 quart so I could do a sack in 1 go. Does it matter if I go aluminum or stainless steel? It's $155 vs $185 at the same site. I'll spend $30 more for something easier to clean just not sure if there are any downsides. http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/1182_stainless_steel_stock_pot.htm

Would just need to find the accessories from elsewhere... Having trouble thinking of everything else I would need but these 2 pieces would get me started. Thoughts?

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I built my own burner but if I had to start over I'd get the bayou classic super duty double jet burner. I have their 80qt aluminum pot that boils one sack at a time I guess the stainless would be an upgrade but I don't know if its worth it. I also have a basket hook that I picked up somewhere that is a must have.

Double jet? Never used one of those. Does it use double propane? I'm a patient man I don't need it to be cooked in a super hurry. I imagine this is the one you're talking about? http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sp2-double-jet-propane-burner.htm

shroom14

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    prairieville ,la

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    I highly recommend Bluebugboilers.com. Pricey but a very nice setup. I like cooking outside so I built a frame from 1"x3" tubing and put a large low pressure burner at stove top level for cooking rice and gravy or jambalaya and a jet burner about 18" high for boiling or gumbo. I put some wheels on one end and made handles on the other and put a piece of 2" square tubing at the bottom that goes into my receiver hitch to bring it with me to south Texas. I'll see about posting pics later if interested. If looking to go a less expensive route then Bayou Classic is the way to go. Not sure where you located but Rice Belt in Crowley has some nice burner setups.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Bosco I think you should INVEST in Stainless Steel.

This way, you can also invest in those fancy jet burners. I say that b/c
    some of those jet burners WILL MELT Aluminum Pots.

If you're boiling for 2-6 people on average, I'd go with a One-Sack pot size.(no less than 80qt)
    It's not that you won't be cooking more than that,
    but have you ever tried to lift two-sacks of BOILING Crawfish out of a pot at one time? Not easy.

But if you're looking at boiling for 6-8 Adults and kids on average(like me)-Average 12 total per boil-
    better go with the 120 Qt. However my suggestion would be to build you a stand to put near the pot or
    a stationary place for the pot to sit in where you can get over some leverage.
    Lifting 2 sacks of boiling crawfish is not exactly a one arm swing ;)

Also take the time to either shop, have one made, or make your own-preferred- (Stirring Paddle).
    This is crucial b/c you will use it time and time again in learning how to Boil your Crawfish,
    exactly how you want it.

You do this by making notches on your paddle to measure how much water you are using.
    It's easier to adjust 'Spiciness' by always using the same amount of seasoning,
    but adjusting how much water is in your pot. Dilution being the solution.

Remember, Stainless is an investment.
    Buy Stainless, and your grand-kids will be fighting over that pot long after you're gone ;)

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What makes one burner better than another?

Efficiency. Allowing you to boil water faster.
    Air Mixture and Nozzle design of jet burners allow for higher heat.
    Jet Burners are best for 80+quart pots.

Cast burners are much like the burners on your range. The maximum output is 54,000 BTUs through the 4" burners. Jet burners mix the propane and air in a venturi tube and exhaust the mixture in a single flame "jet". A Jet Burner can generate up to 110,000 BTUs. Link

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You CAN go to a Restaurant supply store and get the thicker quality stock pot types of aluminum pots for about the same or just a bit more. That is IF you go with aluminum. They do sell SS too if that's what you want.
    You can even order online and get better prices sometimes.

Top Bottom