Want to start reloading, need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    My father and I have some dies and some reloading supplies already. We also have about 50 pounds of lead. I want to get a reloading kit to start with. What kit would you recommend?
    Are there standardized sizes to the kits so that I can use the existing dies and items that I already have? In otherwords, are parts from different brands interchangeable?
    Any other tips or pointers that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    If you have no experience reloading, and you are interested in bullet casting as well, my best advice is to purchase a Lyman 49th edition loading manual and read it cover to cover............... then read it again.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    If you we're looking to get a single stage to learn the ropes on, Cabela's had one more RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reload kit for 349 when I got mine Saturday. They also have a $50 rebate going on right now. I didn't plan on buying it but they are going for $450+ online without rebate. I am very excited to start soon myself. Now I just need some lead!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    My suggestion for whatever it's worth.

For $120 get this kit. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

It has almost everything you need to start reloading, including one set of dies. If you want to reload for more than one caliber, and order more dies, don't forget bushings for those dies.

If you want to start casting, I suggest an old cast iron pot, a camping stove, or boiling burner and, . . . I have to know what caliber you intend to cast for.

I started with the Lee Breech Lock kit, and still use the press almost every day. I have three presses now, the Breech Lock, a Lee Loadmaster progressive and an RCBS single stage. I relegated the RCBS press to use with my Lee Sizing dies, as I prefer the Lee single stage over it.

I cast. I use a Lee bottom pour 10# electric pot with Lee molds in .358 and .452. I use their tumble lube molds with Lee Alox lube. No leading, no lubrisizer, no mess, no fuss.

As you can tell, I mostly reload low velocity straight walled pistol cases. I do reload for .30-30 as well, but only about 20 rounds a year. You really want to get advice from elsewhere if you plan to reload bottle necked rifle cases.

I hope I helped a bit.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Let me say first i apologize for any wrong terminology i may use. I'm interested in pursuing this as a hobby. dad has suggested it repeatedly and is interested as well. I wanted to look into reloading and casting. I'm thinking of looking into 9mm, 45, 223, 762x39 etc. I've got the space to do it, I think. All the input so far is great!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Let me say first i apologize for any wrong terminology i may use. I'm interested in pursuing this as a hobby. dad has suggested it repeatedly and is interested as well. I wanted to look into reloading and casting. I'm thinking of looking into 9mm, 45, 223, 762x39 etc. I've got the space to do it, I think. All the input so far is great!

I'd start with reloading for the pistol calibers, with casting for the .45acp, for reasons you'll discover later.

I'd buy jacketed projectiles for the rifle calibers. You can cast for them, but leading is a major problem.

Wish you were closer.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Of the calibers you listed, the pistol calibers are easy to cast for. You can also cast for the two rifle calipers as well but there is drastically different ways to load them with cast bullets. The LEE or RCBS are good kits to get started with.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I haven't decided if I am going to get away from my single stage and go progressive if I do I will give you a good deal on my hornady classic kit with the auto charge. I am about to get away from loading rifle and go with just 9mm.... If you are going to reload rifle cartridges for precision go with a quality press. It matters trust me.

Top Bottom