Want to start reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    I'm looking to get into reloading soon and would like any advice and/or if someone local(Northshore)could show me the ropes.I've done some research and am leaning toward the lee classic turret press kit from Kempfs.(From what i understand it can be used as single stage or progressive.)I want to reload for 223,270,270wsm,35whelen and eventually a pistol caliber or two.I am located in Lacombe and this rookie would appreciate the help from some of you pros.

johnnyj28

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    metairie
    yea!! I wanna learn also... there should be a club devoted to reloading!! I dont have the space to setup shop.. Im in metairie...
    but would love to get the learning done!! and get some reloaded.... not so I can save money... so I can SHOOT more!!

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    A heads-up about reloading rifle cartridges with the auto-index feature, you can't really use it with longer cartridges.

I have the four hole turret press and reload for 223 and 308 as well as a few pistol calibers. Now I am no means a master but am proficient enough that I trust myself to reload for my guns. When I am reloading for the 223 I can use the auto-index but for 308 the case is just long enough to catch a little on the de-priming pin and after seating the bullet, the OAL is such that the cartridge cannot get out of the die before it starts to index.

I don't have any experience with the calibers that you stated other than the 223 to know how long they are but it is something that I wish I would have found out beforehand. Probably would not have changed my mind on getting the press but at least I would have know going in.

This is not to mention the rifle charging die that you need to get the powder dropper to use with rifle cartridges and the riser die that you need to get high enough to be able to use the auto-prime with the press.

Like I said, I like the press and don't mind not having the auto-index for the 308 or the other things, just wish I would have known before I started. Like always YMMV.

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    yea!! I wanna learn also... there should be a club devoted to reloading!! I dont have the space to setup shop.. Im in metairie...
    but would love to get the learning done!! and get some reloaded.... not so I can save money... so I can SHOOT more!!

I read on this site there was a class i think back in November.It would be nice to go to one but i think i could learn a lot faster and easier if someone would show me there setup and walk me thru the steps.I'm not really wanting to save money either by reloading,if it so happens great,i'm also looking to shoot more and gain the accuracy for my hunting rifles.I also just like to learn any new skills i can.

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    A heads-up about reloading rifle cartridges with the auto-index feature, you can't really use it with longer cartridges.

I have the four hole turret press and reload for 223 and 308 as well as a few pistol calibers. Now I am no means a master but am proficient enough that I trust myself to reload for my guns. When I am reloading for the 223 I can use the auto-index but for 308 the case is just long enough to catch a little on the de-priming pin and after seating the bullet, the OAL is such that the cartridge cannot get out of the die before it starts to index.

I don't have any experience with the calibers that you stated other than the 223 to know how long they are but it is something that I wish I would have found out beforehand. Probably would not have changed my mind on getting the press but at least I would have know going in.

This is not to mention the rifle charging die that you need to get the powder dropper to use with rifle cartridges and the riser die that you need to get high enough to be able to use the auto-prime with the press.

Like I said, I like the press and don't mind not having the auto-index for the 308 or the other things, just wish I would have known before I started. Like always YMMV.

I didn't know about the longer cases affecting the auto index.I'm assuming from what i read it's a lot more detailed procedure to load rifle for accuracy so this may not be an issue.But thats why im asking the questions.

The first press i was looking at was the Rock Chucker kit by RCBS but after reading about the Lee and it's versatility i thought it would be a better choice.I'm not dead set on anything thats why id like to try and see a few setups run and try to figure out whats best for me.

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    Are u looking to produce large amounts in a short time or looking for the best round u can make more on precision end.from wut u say u plan to reload u want a precision load.i currently use a Lyman turret press and have no complaints.for my target 308 rifle it on a good day can produce one hole 5 shot groups on the day I'm on my game.i reload for other calibers also.and for pistol.as for pistol a turret is slower going than say a dillon progressive.but In my opinion the turret or rock chucker is a good starting press to learn d ropes.biggest thing or simplest way to make a round or gun accurate is concistancy.not to say that powder or bullet your gun just mite not like.i use Sierra.bullets r realtivly cheap and good qc.and the cut holes.im just not satisfied with a load if it don't cut.reloading is like anything else in the world u can get into it to your hearts disire.but a good turret is a damn good starting point.make sure u get a book read n understand the info.trim all your brass to specs.deburrr flash holes and I ream primer pockets.after u trim run the through a full length die point of it is your keeping everything the same iliminating variance.and make a dummy round just brass and bullet no primer no powder to see how it chambers.once u select a powder start on the bottom end of the powder charge and work up looking for pressure signs on your primer and brass as well as group size.reloading is def a rewarding hobby knowing u made it preform the way it does.this is just my kinda way in a overall term not getting very in depth.its def not and not mentto be the bible to reloading.just a overveiw

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    Thanks for the info so far guys.right now I've just started to read The ABC's of reloading and can't wait to start on a new
    hobby.
    I will definatly check the links and research all advice.
    As far a what kind of reloading-I want to do both quantity for my ar's & pistols and quality for hunting rifles.thats whats making me lean toward the lee classic turret.is the lee a good choice because of the versatility or am I missing anything that could be a better.Maybe seperate presses(quality/quantity)that would probly be to expensive but I don't want to spend on something that isn't going to work.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    boutdoors i load for 223, 7mm-08(same case as 308), and 270wsm. the 223 and 7-08 aren't as picky but the 270wsm is a bit picky with the resizing. ive read over and over of people having issues properly resizing the wsm cases.when i size the wsm cases the dies have to be setup so that you get every bit of cam over out of the press. partial full length sizing or neck sizing doesn't seem to get it with these cases. ive not used a lee turret but ive read that they tend to have a bit of flex in them which is probably fine for lighter/smaller cases. but when you start shoving the fat wsm case in there your gonna want something that is solid. get you a good solid single stage press for the rifle rounds and then once you get the hang of things look into a progressive for volume 223 and pistol calibers. either the rock chucker or the lee classic cast should give you the results you are looking for. or if you are dead set on a turret maybe check out the redding t7 as they are supposed to be pretty stout but they are a bit more expensive you could probably purchase the lee classic cast and the lee turret for what you would spend on the redding iirc.

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    Thanks SKS I've seen other post about trouble with 270wsm.I figured I would work my way up to loading them but that is my favorite hunting gun.I may do just what you're saying and buy both lees to start on.
    I know I can load 35 whelen from 30-06 cases but does it take special dies.30-06 brass is easy to aquire 35 whelen not so much.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Reloading gear (like everything else) will eventually evolve around the TYPE and method of your shooting. Determine that first and then you can really focus on what you need to buy once. Decide how accurate you want you rounds to be, how many of them you plan to shoot in a year, what sports or disciplines you plan to shoot in, and what your first expenditure budget is. That will dictate what level of equipment you need to start looking at.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central

you can get the lee handprime if you are short on space. your whole loading setup will fit in a large shoe box.

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    Yes i read the sticky a while back along with a lot of the threads.I've done a lot of reading but that can get confusing to me.I learn a lot better from hands on then the knowledge from reading starts to sink in.I was really hoping someone would invite me to see their setup and show me the steps. I called LA Reloading and they are doing another class.I'm calling tomorrow to find out the details.
    I keep reading about being able to duplicating factory ammo this is confusing because i thought you could produce far more accurate ammo by reloading not just try real hard and only achieve factory results?

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I keep reading about being able to duplicating factory ammo this is confusing because i thought you could produce far more accurate ammo by reloading not just try real hard and only achieve factory results?

You can do either. This goes back to my post above. I highly suggest talking to Lanny at LA Reloading and taking their class if you get the chance.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    Just talked to Lanny at LA Reloading and the next class will be on a sat. from 9:30-12ish.Cost will be $30 and the date will be set soon within the next few weeks he said.I left him my ph.# so i guess if you want to take the class too you could call and leave you're #.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Are u looking to produce large amounts in a short time or looking for the best round u can make more on precision end.from wut u say u plan to reload u want a precision load.i currently use a Lyman turret press and have no complaints.for my target 308 rifle it on a good day can produce one hole 5 shot groups on the day I'm on my game.i reload for other calibers also.and for pistol.as for pistol a turret is slower going than say a dillon progressive.but In my opinion the turret or rock chucker is a good starting press to learn d ropes.biggest thing or simplest way to make a round or gun accurate is concistancy.not to say that powder or bullet your gun just mite not like.i use Sierra.bullets r realtivly cheap and good qc.and the cut holes.im just not satisfied with a load if it don't cut.reloading is like anything else in the world u can get into it to your hearts disire.but a good turret is a damn good starting point.make sure u get a book read n understand the info.trim all your brass to specs.deburrr flash holes and I ream primer pockets.after u trim run the through a full length die point of it is your keeping everything the same iliminating variance.and make a dummy round just brass and bullet no primer no powder to see how it chambers.once u select a powder start on the bottom end of the powder charge and work up looking for pressure signs on your primer and brass as well as group size.reloading is def a rewarding hobby knowing u made it preform the way it does.this is just my kinda way in a overall term not getting very in depth.its def not and not mentto be the bible to reloading.just a overveiw

I appreciate that you wish to add to this dialog, but a solid block of misspelled words without punctuation, and nonsensical contractions does NOT add to the dialog, but instead presents an unreadable mess. Not attacking you, but encouraging you to take an extra few moments when composing a response, and craft something that others will read.

Top Bottom