Wanting to get started in USPSA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    I'm wanting to get started in shooting competitively. Currently I have a glock 23 as an EDC and have made some changes to it, such as extended slide lock and changed the sights to night sights and replaced the connector and trigger return spring, and I have a springfield armory mil-spec 1911 that I am getting a beaver tail put on now. My question is should I start out in production class and get either a glock 34 or 35, or start in a different class with something I already have?

I also have 9mm handguns so I wouldn't be getting into a new caliber going with the 34.

Thanks for your input.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I'm wanting to get started in shooting competitively. Currently I have a glock 23 as an EDC and have made some changes to it, such as extended slide lock and changed the sights to night sights and replaced the connector and trigger return spring, and I have a springfield armory mil-spec 1911 that I am getting a beaver tail put on now. My question is should I start out in production class and get either a glock 34 or 35, or start in a different class with something I already have?

I also have 9mm handguns so I wouldn't be getting into a new caliber going with the 34.

Thanks for your input.

Have you shot a match yet? If not I would suggest shooting your Glock 23 or your Springfield at a match just to see if you like it. While there is nothing wrong with a Glock 34 to start you may find your interest will take you to another division rather quickly.

mike45

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    LaPlace
    Come out to Amite Sunday and try it. If nothing else you can get alot of your questions answered. Hammer down around 9am. Bring a holster, mag holders and ammo. You will need 4 to 5 mags.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Your best bet is to start with the gun (.355 caliber projectile or higher) for which you have the most magazines and pouches. Like Whit said, give it a try with what you've got and you can figure out from there.

I promise, there's a Division for whatever you bring!

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I agree. Don't "get started" by purchasing a new gun. Go have fun with what you carry. Draw from concealment, pie corners, reload behind cover, shoot the stage the long way, shoot one-handed, etc... Compete against yourself. There will be people behind you saying "why is he doing that?". Ignore them and compete against yourself.

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    Thanks for the replies guys. I won't be able to make it this weekend but hopefully soon.

Now my next question is about the Serpa holster. I have one already and have read, not sure if it was on here or elsewhere, about them not being allowed at either classes or competitions. The question is would using the Serpa be allowed and if not what would be a decent not crazy expensive holster that would work well?

Thanks again for the help. I look forward to meeting you guys in the short future.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I won't be able to make it this weekend but hopefully soon.

Now my next question is about the Serpa holster. I have one already and have read, not sure if it was on here or elsewhere, about them not being allowed at either classes or competitions. The question is would using the Serpa be allowed and if not what would be a decent not crazy expensive holster that would work well?

Thanks again for the help. I look forward to meeting you guys in the short future.

The Serpa is USPSA legal; I used one for quite a while until I was ready to get on with the show.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

Serpa is legal for all divisions in uspsa

Top Bottom