Warning light on dash

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Will an " airbag " light prevent a vehicle from passing inspection ? Yes , I know I need to have that looked at but time is an issue right now , and not having a vehicle for a day is an even bigger issue .

Heartless

I get off on the pain.
    Sep 8, 2012
    Marrero, LA
    Two things, first, disconnect your battery for about 5 minutes before you go in. Sometimes it takes a while for the sensor to go off. Second I had a jetta with the same issue, I never had problems with inspection or emissions but when I wrapped the jetta around a tree the airbag didn't go off and I got had a concussion with loss of conscientiousness.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I used to drive a Dodge Stratus about 3 years ago that had the airbag light on 24/7. Never had an issue getting an inspection sticker. If you do, just go to another shop :dunno: There are places where they are really really strict and other places where they just give you the sticker and tell you to put it on yourself without even getting up from their desk.

alcopone1

oil slinger
    Jan 14, 2012
    Houma , La
    Do not unhook youre battery before u go ! If there is no history in memory of
    Vechs computer u will fail and have to go back after a few days.

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs

That is correct. You Basically start the onboard rediness test all over again.
    Could take a day or 2 before its finished.

WE can check your airbag. Honestly, I would fix it, because they do WORK.
    However when the light is on, the bags are disengaged and they will not fire off.

The Bags really dont just go off. They have even increased the dead blow mph for them too.

NOW if you wanna have some fun, we can take your airbag off, turn it upside down, and place a chair on it.
    You put on your helmet, gloves and body armor, and we will launch you in the air !
    YES, its gonna hurt. [ then again, Im not sure how much you weigh ]

Back in my Dealership days, since I was the shop foreman, I was the one to DEPLOY the airbags before returning them or discarding them.

THose things will shoot 30ft up in the air ! Freakin Crazy............

flamatrix99

Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La

That happened to my wife with our SSR. She had the battery replaced and then went to get a sticker on the way home. She failed and they told her to drive around for 20 minutes and come back. All was well after that.

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Now that I have some attention here,

I want you all to remember.
    If your check engine light comes on, and you just happen to bump your head, and go to Autozone for a Code Read, DO NOT ERASE the codes or memory.

First of all, Either of my stores will do a free code read for you. A CODE READ is NOT a Diagnostic test !

SECOND and probably the main reason is, MANY, MANY times, the code is NOT the actual problem.
    The problem effects something, which triggers the code. Yes there are a few codes that 90% of the time the code is the problem.
    Like a 02 sensor "HEATER"
    But when you erase the code, you will erase the stored data that I would have liked to look at to aid in Diagnostics.

Thankfully, we dont need a code to be set to check your car. The information that I can extract from your computer is 10 times more than your average shop [ or even dealership for that matter ]

We diagnose cars everyday without ANY code or even PENDING code trigger data.

I dont have a problem with people fixing their own cars. Just let us DIAGNOSE it properly FIRST. I will be able to tell you if you can do it at home.

The average Testing time/cost is usually $80 to $100 greenbacks.

Next note and the BIGGEST mistake people make:
    You get a code for a 02 sensor LEAN or Rich
    They sell you a 02 sensor.

The 02 sensor was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. Indicate a lean problem.
    Diagnosing the LEAN condition is your problem.

PLease dont run out and replace 02 sensors unless they are truly bad.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I love getting phone calls about a lean code from the O2's a week after someone installed a K&N and has already replaced all 4 sensors. It's amazing how a can of brake cleaner actually fixes the problem, the right way.

LNSvince

May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    Well its NOT a K&N filter story, But A Perfect EXAMPLE.
    The Bother of a regular Customer comes to me with his work van. [ TODAY !]
    He likes to do his own work, and says he has been working on it for weeks.
    he has been to Autozone 4 times getting diagnostics & buying parts. He says, "I am getting Lean codes on bank 1 and bank 2".
    I have Replaced 3 out of the 4 - 02 sensors and I am still getting the same codes.
    I figure that replacing the 4th is only gonna do the same thing.....................
    My Brother is laughing at me, because he told me to bring the van to you before I even started.
    I have spent more money GUESSING at the problem, when I could have brought it to you the whole time.

I had his van fixed in 15 minutes. A $2 piece if vacuum hose, Cleared the Adaptive strategy, then set him up for the REAL maintenance that he needs.
    Yes , I told him unless he brought back a "COLD" 12 back of beer, I would call his brother and rag him to no end.
    [ I still called his brother, Couldnt resist ! :beer:]

RyanW

Koch-head
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    An even better one, "the guy at the shop said it needed a new computer." Having worked in the automotive industry for as long as I have, I have yet to replace a single PCM that wasn't physically damaged due to either direct impact, water damage, or by "brother-in-law installing a stereo."

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom