Weird twist on a scam - anyone ever heard of this?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My buddies Grandmother is in the middle of what he thinks is a scam. Its a variation on the "sweepstakes scam" but with a strange twist.

She got a call a few weeks ago that she won a $3 million sweepstakes. From what he learned from her, the guy on the phone told her that all these retailers (like Sears, Walmart, etc) put in money to a pool and everyone that pays their bills on time gets their name put into it. Strike one. Walmart bills?

Anyway, of course, she has to pay the taxes and fees for this money. Here is the twist though, from what the grandmother said, the guy has sent her cash money for her to Western Union to Canada. The fist envelope contained $2000 in $100 bills. The second envelope he was unsure of the amount but its cash money, always $100 bills and delivered in an envelope via the post office. She is told to Western Union the money to Canada each time.

Now the guy is telling her everything is set and he is coming out to visit her so that they can take the "winnings" to the bank and deposit it. Conveniently, the private jet he was going to fly down in had transmission problems so he couldnt come down last week like he wanted but he is coming this week apparently. His grandmother was very specific about the transmission problems and apparently he went into great detail explaining it.

Hes worried about this guy just showing up since he does have her address and they have spoken on the phone in great detail quite a few times. Hes also worried about the information she has given. Apparently they spoke about him and what he did for a living. Typical small talk you would have with someone that you knew, although he is a total stranger. From what he has gathered, none of the money she has transferred was hers. Its all been the cash money he (or his associates) have mailed to her.

Has anyone heard of such a scam? I've heard of the "grandparents scam", the "sweepstakes scam" and the "lottery scam" but never something like this. Any ideas?

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    May be a variation, they send money to earn trust first and then tell the victim they have to pay taxes up front on the winnings, they show up or otherwise call in the tax money and disappear. It also may be someone she knows even if distantly. I'd call the "authorities". It makes me glad for my grandmother's mean streak, she tends to curse these guys out. There are some nigerian scam forums, some of these people have successfully milked the scammers for good chunks of money through similar set ups only they don't transfer the money they just keep the cash. May want to search for them.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Very odd. I have never heard of the scammers actually sending real money. My guess is that one of a couple of options will happen. They could be trying to build up trust and then mail her $1500 and tell her to wire $2500 to their account and that the other $1000 is on the way. Another possibility is they will mail her a check for her to do the exact same with. Either way, you should talk to her bank and get their security department involved in case they try to start taking her money. After that, you should talk to the police and let them know what is going on. I think in this case the FBI would handle it. Scammers nowadays are mighty crafty and I see old people almost weekly getting scammed out of some amount of money.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    A lot of the online scams involve unwitting middle people to send the money around. It sounds like she might be one of these people. Scammer rips off person A, has him send money to person B, person B sends the money to person C, who then sends the money to the scammer. The further apart the scammer can keep himself from the people he rips off the better.

I'd guess the money isn't actually coming from him to begin with. Probably from other people that he's ripped off.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Perhaps the $100 bills are counterfeit and she's helping them launder them inadvertently.

Apparently she was leery enough in the beginning that she had some of the bills checked at the bank and they came back good. This is just blowing my mind. Why would a scammer send that kind of cash to a person he doesn't even know? I'm at a loss.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A frame up? They claim they paid her for an illegal job? There are deposits to match? Then they con her out of more money to keep from being turned in? Its a stretch but its all I've got.

Can you back check the phone numbers? I'm betting the locations don't match what they've told her.
    I'd involve some feds on this one. Out of state wire fraud should put it in the FBI's area.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Western Union.
    That's the hitch.
    Never heard of Western Union being used for a legitimate endeavor involving larger sums of money.
    A favorite of 419 scammers.

Try this site:

http://www.419eater.com/

May just have the scam you're looking for; barring that, it's fairly entertaining reading.

Top Bottom