Well doc chewed my tail friday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I weighted in at 276 at 27 and I'm 5'6. I gotta drop some of this and I'm so out of shape I need a decent workout that will work. I'm trying to stay away from the diet pills and all that stuff.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I weighted in at 276 at 27 and I'm 5'6. I gotta drop some of this and I'm so out of shape I need a decent workout that will work. I'm trying to stay away from the diet pills and all that stuff.

Usually, most folks who are generally inactive can start by the old eat-less-move-atound-more program. After that you can choose your goals and modify your program.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    If you drink any kind of coke stop that no diet drinks either, drink water you will feel so much better and drop some weight.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Absolutely zero soft drinks, beer, etc. just water. Sports drinks have calories too so you really don't need that either. Try cutting out fast foods and foods with lots of preservatives. Eat smaller portions, use smaller plates if it'll help you portion well.

Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    He said nomore cokes or beer. Told me if ya must drink there's vodka or whiskey but advised against it. I'm only eating once a day and I work outside all day. Drinking alot more water now though

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    He said nomore cokes or beer. Told me if ya must drink there's vodka or whiskey but advised against it. I'm only eating once a day and I work outside all day. Drinking alot more water now though

Been there done DAT!

Sounds like you have a good DR.

Congrats in advance on your journey to health:}

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville

Eat a huge breakfast with complex carbs, monounsaturated fats, and a great deal of protein, snack on nuts a couple of hours after that, a good chicken breast spinach and fruit for lunch, more nuts two hours after that, and dinner should be really good lean protein and dark vegetables. Do not eat after 8pm, anything. Prior to eating chow, guzzle a bottle/glass of water and eat slow. Don't eat while driving or watching tv.

Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Eat a huge breakfast with complex carbs, monounsaturated fats, and a great deal of protein, snack on nuts a couple of hours after that, a good chicken breast spinach and fruit for lunch, more nuts two hours after that, and dinner should be really good lean protein and dark vegetables. Do not eat after 8pm, anything. Prior to eating chow, guzzle a bottle/glass of water and eat slow. Don't eat while driving or watching tv.

+1 EXACTLY WHAT I DID! Uh Doing still...

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Eating once a day is horrible for you. Your body goes into starvation mode and immediately squirrels away everything it can. Eat numerous small portions a day. Also, chewing slowly and thoroughly is not only good for digestion, it also gives your body a chance to realize it is full. When you wolf food down, you overeat and feel bloated afterward. Stay away from white bread, eat lots of grains and vegetables, and drink LOTS of water.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Pull your phone out and one of these apps

1. weight watchers, stupid easy, $20 a month
    2. loseit! $40 a year for premium, which lets you link it to exercise apps, wifi scale, etc... free to use and track food
    3. myfitnesspal completely free, I don't care for it, database to look up food is way to large since anyone can add to it so you have 5 entries for the same thing and have to find the correct one. but lots of people do like it and it links to endomondo, withings etc at no cost.
    4. spark people, $4 for the app website is free, but I find it cluttered,.

I like the weight watchers and loseit apps the best. They all will figure out what calorie range you should be in for 1-2lbs a week weight loss. I've been using WW them since may 1st and am down about 25lbs. Been tracking in loseit as well the past couple of weeks and they are both really close, so plan to drop the WW once my 3 month trial is up.

Other apps to get would be fooducate, then there's several out there with large databases of the nutritional info for most chain restaurants. Also like endomondo or mapmyfitness for exercise tracking. and Spark recipies, lots of healthy recipies with the nutritional information (free).

The apps basically teach you not to eat like ****, if you start you'll be surprised how much so called healthy looking stuff is really high calorie (granola for example).

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales

I was doing the same thing before. Did some research and turns out only eating once a day causes a slower metabolism due to the brain's subconscious basically thinking that there is a famine going on and not sure when it will get more food, since one meal a day is it. I started eating a good breakfast (meat, eggs, etc) try to limit the amount of sugar (Krispy Kreme, Mary Lee's, and Southern Maid doughnuts all have A LOT (bastards) and snack frequently through the day on healthy stuff (fruits, vegetables, peanuts, pistachios, etc) and drink a ton of water, especially before a meal. Made a world of difference, though I still have a ways to go to get where I want to be at, good luck on your journey!!!

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    I am 42 yrs old, 5'7" and down from 270 to 190 in 1 year. From a size 44 to size 34. I generally do a protein shake in the morning, eat smaller meals, stay away from processed foods ( fast foods), and started eating more vegetables. Also started a moderate exercise routine including crunches and push-ups. Worked for me.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

^^ Best advice in this thread so far. I would like throw in there that two glasses of water with breakfast is better than one / none. Also, drinking water throughout the day is what you want to do as well. In addition to eating healthy, you need to burn more calories. Try doing some pushups every other day in the evening if you do not have time to hit up a strict workout routine. If you are hungry during the day, snack on some nuts or a small serving of lean meat. This will help keep your metabolism at near 100% all day.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Crossfit!

(sorry I'm addicted)

Absolutely zero soft drinks, beer, etc. just water. Sports drinks have calories too so you really don't need that either. Try cutting out fast foods and foods with lots of preservatives. Eat smaller portions, use smaller plates if it'll help you portion well.

This.

And you're only eating once a day? I'm sorry but in my personal and non-professional opinion that's that healthy. I eat a plant-based diet with added proteins such as chicken and egg whites. Quit drinking after my birthday in March. No soft drinks since 2010.

It's not as hard as everyone may think it is.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I am 42 yrs old, 5'7" and down from 270 to 190 in 1 year. From a size 44 to size 34. I generally do a protein shake in the morning, eat smaller meals, stay away from processed foods ( fast foods), and started eating more vegetables. Also started a moderate exercise routine including crunches and push-ups. Worked for me.

That is absolutely impressive. Bravo to you. I gained 25 getting out of the service/getting married. Time to start running again!!

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Eat less (and quality) and move more.

Can't get much simpler than this. Going from sedentary to doing anything will show marked improvements. And don't get caught up in fad diets that get impossible to maintain. Just find a way to cut back your consumption and find healthier options you enjoy eating, making it a lifestyle change rather than a temporary gauntlet. Also, people vastly underestimate the amount of calories you can cut out by going to a water-coffee-tea only routine. High-calorie liquids have a tendency to fly under the radar as to just how bad they are.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom