We'll Have to File Bankruptcy! Wah! Wah! Wah! Yeah; Right!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I went to trade school and make more than many of my college graduate classmates that I know, and never worry about having work. Unless my children were going to college for engineering or medical, I would try to steer them toward a trade.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Some people who are smarter than me put the pencil to the paper on this bogus student fee crap. There are 30,000 students who pay 200 dollars a semester which comes out to 12 million a year. At this rate it would take about 7 years to save up for the lazy river. We all know that not 100 percent of the student fees would go to this project so it will take a long time to pay for this. Also who will pay for the upkeep? I could care less about the lazy river if LSU was not crying about going broke. I love all of the success stories from the other members who posted earlier. I tell all of my sons that just because you have a degree doesn't mean they will part the sea for you and hire you. We have people apply at my work with masters degrees all the time for a job that starts out at 25000 dollars. If you are willing to learn a skill, then work hard you can still do well in America without a degree. I also tell them that they don't have to be the smartest person in the world, just smarter than who they are competing with for a job. With all the dumbasses out there I figure they have about 85% of the people beat from the start.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    $85 Million in cookies? Yea... Right..

But they weren't just any ole cookies! :love:
    iu

And they weren't being sold by just any ole students!
    iu

Do you dare doubt the financial integrity of LSU?

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This is the recruiting class targeted by adding the Lazy river etc. The athletes and brainy children coming in addition will be because of this recruiting technique.

Who do you think they went to first to look over the blueprints?

This project, my boy; was LF approved!
    iu

And,

"Lazy River? F..kin A! I'll be there!"
    iu

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I found a trade after dropping from LSU. I honestly wish I could go through with engineering there, but life won't allow that. Even back when I was there off and on between 2006 and 2009, I wondered where the hell all the money from the students and football games was going. I have to think a few people are getting incredibly rich or they're just extremely wasteful.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't profess to have any special insight or knowledge, but I have a few observations which I believe to be true.

- the money LSU football makes goes to paying the coaches, operating a very expensive program, and funding most, if not all, of the other sports that don't turn a profit.
    - when i was in college there was much less technology. No pc's, networks, laptops, 3d printers, gps, etc. the IT department was a fraction of what it is today because there was one computer and it was only capable of doing a fraction of what machines do today. Now you have hundreds/thousands of pieces of technology on a campus. The stuff is no more reliable today than it was then.
    - when I was in college there was very little compliance law affecting university's and businesses. FERPA, HIPAA, GLBA, FISMA, etc. didn't exist. Companies have a whole staff of expensive people on staff just to keep them from being sued or fined.
    - the helicopter parents of today require a lot more "services" for their kids than they did when I was in school. I got myself admitted to college, got myself there, got my grades, got my diploma, and got my first job without my parents lifting a finger. Today, parents want a school that will cater to every need their child may have and make sure they're safe. I know this because I followed my wife around with our kids and watched her do it. :-)

I'm not saying these things are definitively the cause or that waste and greed may not play a role. Just saying it's not that simple. I've been through trade school and college and I've enjoyed every job I've ever had including digging ditches. I don't see a big difference between working with head or hands from the perspective of value to society. I value any job that has a skill set that must be learned or is tedious/strenuous. I chose my job path based on what I felt I could be happy doing for 30 plus years and would best pay the bills and I've encouraged anyone who's asked me to do the same.

Not saying I have the answers; that's just the way I see it from my rock.

Oh well, off the soapbox, and it's harder typing on an iPad than a typewriter. :-)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't profess to have any special insight or knowledge, but I have a few observations which I believe to be true.

- the money LSU football makes goes to paying the coaches, operating a very expensive program, and funding most, if not all, of the other sports that don't turn a profit.
    - when i was in college there was much less technology. No pc's, networks, laptops, 3d printers, gps, etc. the IT department was a fraction of what it is today because there was one computer and it was only capable of doing a fraction of what machines do today. Now you have hundreds/thousands of pieces of technology on a campus. The stuff is no more reliable today than it was then.
    - when I was in college there was very little compliance law affecting university's and businesses. FERPA, HIPAA, GLBA, FISMA, etc. didn't exist. Companies have a whole staff of expensive people on staff just to keep them from being sued or fined.
    - the helicopter parents of today require a lot more "services" for their kids than they did when I was in school. I got myself admitted to college, got myself there, got my grades, got my diploma, and got my first job without my parents lifting a finger. Today, parents want a school that will cater to every need their child may have and make sure they're safe. I know this because I followed my wife around with our kids and watched her do it. :-)

I'm not saying these things are definitively the cause or that waste and greed may not play a role. Just saying it's not that simple. I've been through trade school and college and I've enjoyed every job I've ever had including digging ditches. I don't see a big difference between working with head or hands from the perspective of value to society. I value any job that has a skill set that must be learned or is tedious/strenuous. I chose my job path based on what I felt I could be happy doing for 30 plus years and would best pay the bills and I've encouraged anyone who's asked me to do the same.

Not saying I have the answers; that's just the way I see it from my rock.

Oh well, off the soapbox, and it's harder typing on an iPad than a typewriter. :-)

I believe that higher education is important in some areas. And you make valid arguments for some of the spending, but I am going to have go by the first hand accounts by personal friends that work there 6 days a week, of what goes on there everyday. The place is employee heavy at almost every state job level. The point I made about maintenance is true, and only one small part of the issue.

People getting rich? Yeah, I'd say so. Without going on the internet, I bet no one on BS can name all of the boards, regents, and bureaucrats over there that are being paid for something; nor can anyone tell me what important role they play.

This thread is meant to trail off into comedy, but the fact remains, LSU spending $85 million dollars on a swimming pool while crying about cutting academic services is pathetic. And no one ever follows these stories and/or accusations to a truthful end. A sound bite here, and there, and it's swept under the carpet. The LSU system, along with TAF, is like the child molester uncle no one in the family wants to talk about. I think the whole university should be investigated quite frankly. See, I am a tax payer that is tired of getting my pocket picked, first, and an LSU Sports fan second.

When the money really does runs out one day; we'll see who is stealing and who is not.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    LSU athletics is self supporting plus it gives money to academics, how academics spends it is an academics problem not an athletics problem. I also contend in both athletics and academics the high rollers are in a pissing mach with the high rollers at other SEC schools to out do each other on facilities.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    LSU athletics is self supporting plus it gives money to academics, how academics spends it is an academics problem not an athletics problem. I also contend in both athletics and academics the high rollers are in a pissing mach with the high rollers at other SEC schools to out do each other on facilities.

That is a big part of the problem. If they want all that glitzy BS, that's fine! Stop begging for tax money all the time by saying that you are broke! After all, if they can generate their own working capital, they damn sure should!

If your science department doesn't have glass beakers; don't buy a f'n $85 million dollar pool! If your mathematics department has broken abacus' don't buy a f'n $85 million dollar pool! If your engineering department is low on drafting pencils, don't buy a f'n $85 million dollar pool and so on. It's SCHOOL! Not Atlantis!

As for athletics? If there are any athletics that cannot support themselves over there, then they better not be giving full scholarships to play them. This mentality that because it is the flagship university that they are impervious to budget accountability is absurd.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cherry-Bandit
    Top Bottom