Well this could sucks for those of us who set up a trust...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Not at all. The primary reason I set up a trust is so I'm not committing a felony when I leave my SBR at home with my wife.

That's fine but now every person in the trust has to go through the NFA process with fingerprinting and photos and then forward the forms to the CLEO.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    That's fine but now every person in the trust has to go through the NFA process with fingerprinting and photos and then forward the forms to the CLEO.

Do I now have to pay an additional $200 stamp for that? Since now 2 people are being cleared? That would be utter BS.

And what about a successor Trustee? Do they have to apply as well? When are these changes supposed to take place?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Thankfully, from what I can tell, the changes only seem to be proposed at this time so it may not be a problem at all. We will see.

As I JUST paid for my trust and have yet to submit my paperwork, this could be a HUGE problem if it gets passed in the middle of my application process. FFS...

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Sugarbug,

Wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Most of these things are done on grandfather status; imagine what insanity the ATF would face if they made it retroactive so all trust transfers had to comply.
    But I heavily suggest that you get your items as soon as you can.
    Louisiana requires a LSP form to be approved prior to sending in your Form 4, and recently that has been taking a month or more to get.
    My guess is that if your paperwork is in the process that it won't affect you.
    Disclaimer- I am not an attorney and this is my opinion only. YMMV.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Sugarbug,

Wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Most of these things are done on grandfather status; imagine what insanity the ATF would face if they made it retroactive so all trust transfers had to comply.
    But I heavily suggest that you get your items as soon as you can.
    Louisiana requires a LSP form to be approved prior to sending in your Form 4, and recently that has been taking a month or more to get.
    My guess is that if your paperwork is in the process that it won't affect you.
    Disclaimer- I am not an attorney and this is my opinion only. YMMV.

Yeah. At this point I can only submit what I need to and hope for the best. Should have the trust in a couple weeks once I sign and have it notarized.

I can only imagine at what the current wait is, though, given the current state of affairs.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Form 4, once it goes pending, 5-7 months.
    This is NOT once the check is cashed- after cashing, it usually goes pending in a month or so.

Recent times for me have been 1 month for LSP to approve and return paperwork, then you can send in your Form 4 and begin to embrace the suck.
    I have heard that some new NFA examiners have been hired but do not remember how many.
    In any event, the only examiner for Louisiana is Jason Bowers, who has all of region IV which includes NE, IA, KS, MO, OK, AR and LA.
    Here's the assignment map:
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/053012-nfa-assignement-map-2012.pdf
    But I believe there are more examiners now- looks like the map may be a bit outdated.
    Imagine this guy's caseload... hope they pay him enough.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    This is NOT once the check is cashed- after cashing, it usually goes pending in a month or so.

Recent times for me have been 1 month for LSP to approve and return paperwork, then you can send in your Form 4 and begin to embrace the suck.
    I have heard that some new NFA examiners have been hired but do not remember how many.
    In any event, the only examiner for Louisiana is Jason Bowers, who has all of region IV which includes NE, IA, KS, MO, OK, AR and LA.
    But I believe there are more examiners now- looks like the map may be a bit outdated.

Geez!

Don't envy him. Especially with everyone freaking out and probably flooding his office with new forms. Imagine if they make all existing AR's NFA weapons. I'd quit that job, I think. Lol.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm told these rules have been proposed for over a year, so I'm clueless as to what the timeline for their enaction may be, if they approve them.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm told these rules have been proposed for over a year, so I'm clueless as to what the timeline for their enaction may be, if they approve them.

Ah. I had heard a rumor that they were going to take the CLEO requirement off of it, but figured this was something new. Oh well. I'll just go about business as usual.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Don't get me wrong, I think we're both in the exact same place. I /just/ got it writ up by a lawyer, and mailed off a couple copies to a trustee I chose, to get him to sign and notarize it so I can get it back and start tax stamp application.

I'm a little aggravated, and will be if those rules pass, but I'm reserving outrage for now.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Don't get me wrong, I think we're both in the exact same place. I /just/ got it writ up by a lawyer, and mailed off a couple copies to a trustee I chose, to get him to sign and notarize it so I can get it back and start tax stamp application.

I'm a little aggravated, and will be if those rules pass, but I'm reserving outrage for now.

I just spoke with mouthpiece and he said that it is likely any application submitted before the new laws go into effect (if ever) would be grandfathered in. Otherwise they $200 check would have to be returned to each applicant and it would (hopefully) be too much of a bother to do.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Mouthpiece is a phenomenal lawyer. His trusts are beyond reproach and I value his opinion on such matters to the extreme.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I just spoke with mouthpiece and he said that it is likely any application submitted before the new laws go into effect (if ever) would be grandfathered in. Otherwise they $200 check would have to be returned to each applicant and it would (hopefully) be too much of a bother to do.
    hope he is right

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA

. Bowers got canned a couple months ago.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    This is why I went the corporate route. When I first wanted to get into NFA items, trusts were a sore subject with the BATFE. Looks like they still are!

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    I cant find the link at the moment, but the rule included Trusts, corporations and other legal entities. Also, it was eliminating the CLEO sign-off.....just have to do fingerprints and photos of the owners/trustees/beneficiaries. We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom