Well Water PSI ??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    We have well water and the PSI guage is saying its at 20. Is that normal?? i thought i remember it always being around 40 PSI. The tank says do not exceed 75psi. If the PSI is to low does it have any chance of breaking the pump?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    mine stays in the 60 PSI range, so not really sure what its suppose to be, I know when I loose pressure the gauge reads 15 PSI and I have to attach my neighbors water house to prime it back up

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    The points come pre -set to kick on the pump around 20psi and off 40-50 psi. Your gauge could be bad . The pump is made to run ,it's the kick off and on that wears it down. How is the pressure ( stream)in you house? Strong or weak?

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I dont think so... Amite pump and well told me 90 bucks just for them to come look at it... running low on cash.. any ideas on what I can try?... I have the fuse for the pump turned off no... idk if that low of PSI will burn the pump up

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Is it an air bladder tank ..? that could probably help eliminate the air lock theory

If it is, check this, there should be a pressure stem on top like on your car tire. The bladder is supposed to take up room in the tank so that pressure can be kept up longer. Just let a little air out of the stem. If air come out, you don't have a bladder leak, if water comes out, you do. Won't stop it from working but will mess up the pressure until you change the tank.
    Also, like someone said earlier, the switches are set to cut in the pump around 20 PSI and kick off from 40-50 psi. If it's not cycling, the switch is probably bad.
    The other possible problem (and the worst) is the foot valve at the bottom of the well has malfunctioned. The good news is this rarely happens except on olde wells.
    My guess would be the switch is bad. If you are fairly mechanically inclined, you should be able to change it yourself.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    We have well water and the PSI guage is saying its at 20. Is that normal?? i thought i remember it always being around 40 PSI. The tank says do not exceed 75psi. If the PSI is to low does it have any chance of breaking the pump?

Low pressure will not hurt the pump unless it cycles on a lot. This can cause it to overheat.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    take the cover off of the pressure switch. you will see how its made and you can push on it and it should kick the pump on. make sure and use something nonconductive so you dont get shocked. alot of times the contacts wear out on these, or even the springs. if it doesnt kick on you may want to check voltage and make sure that all of that looks good.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    We changed the water heater out because it had a leak somewhere... after we changed it... the pressure was never the same... idk if that has anything to do with it... it was about 3 days ago that i switched it out... thanks for all the help guys.... i'll check the pressure switch

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    take the cover off of the pressure switch. you will see how its made and you can push on it and it should kick the pump on. make sure and use something nonconductive so you dont get shocked. alot of times the contacts wear out on these, or even the springs. if it doesnt kick on you may want to check voltage and make sure that all of that looks good.

Look and listen , unless you understand how an electrial pump funtions don't do the above . Too much danger there for one who is in-expereniced with electral systems. I am in Franklinton not that far from AMITE.
    Do want my help ,it won't cost you anything unless you need parts.

Do you know whether it is a shallow well, deep well jet or a submursible pump. My tele 985 839 6326, a local call from Amite .
    BTW I was born and rasied in Amite so farily well famuliar hasn't canged that much in 60 yrs.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    ummm... not sure... its at my moms house i'll should be able to head over there tomorrow and try and troubleshoot some things.... if i cant fix it tomorrow i'll give you a call and set up a time. Thank you so much... i really appreciate it ! This site is awesome and full of good people!!

Last edited:

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    OK I should be at home all day. A shallow well pump is above ground, only pumps from about 25-30 feet below ground. A deep water jet pump is also above ground but has 2 (two) pipes running in the well. A submuriseable pump is down in the well the electrial wire also runs down into the well with a single pipe to send water to the tank . BTW; all have tanks where the pressure is created.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    If it is, check this, there should be a pressure stem on top like on your car tire. The bladder is supposed to take up room in the tank so that pressure can be kept up longer. Just let a little air out of the stem. If air come out, you don't have a bladder leak, if water comes out, you do. Won't stop it from working but will mess up the pressure until you change the tank.
    Also, like someone said earlier, the switches are set to cut in the pump around 20 PSI and kick off from 40-50 psi. If it's not cycling, the switch is probably bad.
    The other possible problem (and the worst) is the foot valve at the bottom of the well has malfunctioned. The good news is this rarely happens except on olde wells.
    My guess would be the switch is bad. If you are fairly mechanically inclined, you should be able to change it yourself.

Water came out .. :/

Top Bottom