Went shooting today, PTR91; AK74; etc,..

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    After a couple of hundred rounds the PTR barrel got hot. If you notice in the video after 2 seconds I open up my left hand and grip it just enough..

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Too bad we ain't closer...I am planning to shoot a 5 gal propane tank in front of a fire...need video help...Ms Dawg tries but she flinches some times...( imagine that )

It's expensive , at least for me, 40 bucks to buy a new one...I have a few but don't want to reduce that number

Those are really good shots all...good camera as to what I'm used to

Thanks for the post...outstanding

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Too bad we ain't closer...I am planning to shoot a 5 gal propane tank in front of a fire...need video help...Ms Dawg tries but she flinches some times...( imagine that )

It's expensive , at least for me, 40 bucks to buy a new one...I have a few but don't want to reduce that number

Those are really good shots all...good camera as to what I'm used to

Thanks for the post...outstanding

done it.

you have to have a large HOT fire or the chilled propane will smother the fire before it ignites, then you have to chuck a burning chunk of something into the area and get singed lol.

a road flare next to the fire will work as a secondary ignition source.

you can put the cylinder in the fire, it will take about 5 mins for the pop off to let go, so you have plenty of time to move back and shoot.

i also recommend a large caliber, and multiple holes to get a nice flash.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    done it.

you have to have a large HOT fire or the chilled propane will smother the fire before it ignites, then you have to chuck a burning chunk of something into the area and get singed lol.

you can put the cylinder in the fire, it will take about 5 mins for the pop off to let go, so you have plenty of time to move back and shoot.

Whooo Hoooo........thought I was the only one with that idea

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't have thought about the cold putting out the fire

AK or slug...slug or AK ...??

:bowdown:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Get a tripod for the camera, their cheap, where's Big woods, if your not to far you can use mine

We're on the other side... nearest town is Starks...few miles from Tex

I need to get one anyway ...long shots are hard without shaking

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I did a mapp gas canister (small) once, years ago. Very nice fireball. I set it on top of an old bbq pit someone dumped.

Nice guns.

My table is never that neat while shooting. I usually have brass everywhere, mags, tools, etc...

Last edited:

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    done it.

Exactly

Propane is a liquid inside the cylinder with a vapour space above it. When you open the valve and release said vapour, the propane in the tank boils to replace the vapour. As it boils, it expands ±300 times! Once the cylinder is shot inside a fire, the pressure in the cyl drops to atmospheric from ±200psi, the propane instantly boils as it escapes, expands and burns off rapidly! Timing the pop-off will be dependent on the amount of propane in the cyl + temperature of the fire + cyl wall thickness. I have seen them release in less than 5 minutes, but we were using old cyl's, about 1/3 full and in a nice bonfire.

A cylinder shot w/o an immediate ignition source will just leak and produce a very large cloud of vapour that may extinguish the fire (as mentioned above). If an ignition source is established post-shot, you could be in trouble depending on your location! A round (excluding incendiary) may or may not cause a spark as it passes through the steel cylinder.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I have some 7 62 tracer, I wonder if that would work

only if it stops in the cloud and burns there. it will pass thru too fast otherwise.

we used 12ga slugs when i did it. one actually took flight and started pinwheeling.

as a kid me and a buddy probably stole 30 of them.

Lewgee

USMC VET OIF * *
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    St Charles
    more pics.
    img0435p.jpg

img0197yg.jpg

My favorite shot of the day ^^
    Any shot with brass in it makes me happy!
    img0212x.jpg

Top Bottom