Went to Barney's this weekend

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    In Lafayette.

Cost a couple more bucks than my normal indoor range in Bossier. Here's the thing, I read the extensive list of rules (such as no pregnant women allowed and no steel casings). I then began shooting alongside some friends.

After double-tapping my way through two mags, I looked at my friends lane to see how he was doing. There was a sign taped in his lane that read: NO RAPID FIRE.

My ears turned red and I feared the swift justice of getting booted out for breaking the rules. Nothing happened.

My advice to Barney's is to put ALL of the rules onto the main rules board. My shooting lane didn't have the "rapid fire" rule taped to it.

Has there been an issue with people shooting themselves or others with rapid semi-auto fire at ranges like that? I'm happy to report that my double taps all hit paper, but there was one pesky stray that hit just over the silhouette shoulder.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    Im going this week to try out my new LSP! Last year some white guys with backwards hats and Tupac shirts were shooting some glocks and XD's, when one of them emptied a 6 or 7 round mag as fast as he could(which was really fast) When he was done there was some pieces of ceiling material falling and he shot out one of the clamps that hold the target in place,way up near the top so it could not be easily repaired, well the intercom came on and told them not to do it. So I understand why they have that rule, but Ive allways double tapped and others have too without being pointed out are kicked out.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't think they care how fast you shoot so long as you're doing it in a controlled manner and keeping your rounds on target. It would also not hurt to ask the range supervisor (if there's even someone in there) what's verbotten and what's not.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Their "rules" is the reasson why I stopped going, I got jumped by the manager for double tapping (on target) I was practicing malfunction drills w double tap and they claimed it was unsafe since there were other people using the lanes, I also got jumped when i questioned their no steel/no aluminum rule and their response was that "owner" didnt like it when in reality they sell the buckets of brass and they dont want to have to sort out your steel/aluminum casings, which is pretty dumb if you pick up after yourself. I also complained to them that if I had to pay $17 for a bay I would like for it to be at least clean of casings on the floor which to me was far much more unsafe creating slip hazards than my double taps and he said they had brooms available if I wanted one by the bay, great costumer relations they have.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Their "rules" is the reasson why I stopped going, I got jumped by the manager for double tapping (on target) I was practicing malfunction drills w double tap and they claimed it was unsafe since there were other people using the lanes, I also got jumped when i questioned their no steel/no aluminum rule and their response was that "owner" didnt like it when in reality they sell the buckets of brass and they dont want to have to sort out your steel/aluminum casings, which is pretty dumb if you pick up after yourself. I also complained to them that if I had to pay $17 for a bay I would like for it to be at least clean of casings on the floor which to me was far much more unsafe creating slip hazards than my double taps and he said they had brooms available if I wanted one by the bay, great costumer relations they have.

Well, I'll likely not be back as I live up here and like Shooters USA better (as far as indoor ranges go)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Unfurtunetly its the only one in the area as far as indoor range goes, few outdoor that are only open on saturdays since they are for the Sheriff and a few private ones, soooo wish somebody would invest some money to build another one but its a Big Ole Wish.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    Unfurtunetly its the only one in the area as far as indoor range goes, few outdoor that are only open on saturdays since they are for the Sheriff and a few private ones, soooo wish somebody would invest some money to build another one but its a Big Ole Wish.

HAve you made it to the franklin range yet?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Yeah sure did it was actually pretty nice, a lil on the wet side since it had just rained and the RO was kinna looking at me a lil crazy when I asked him if I could practice stress drills, he asked all kind of questions wanting to know what agency I was with, etc, etc. Once the range cleared and I was the only one there he seemed to be ok with my crazines, specially once we started doing some gun talk and he got to play with my XD with a CMore on it, I didnt got to shoot much since I just mainly wanted to sight in the DOT but overall the range was prob a 8 out of 10.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Not my favorite place to shoot but like others have said, it is the only indoor range in the area. I've been there where guys have bitched about rapid fire and some days, rapid fire was the norm. The shell deal is very stupid. They're getting paid to pick up the brass. Minus well sort it out. Many people prefer to buy cheaper ammo to plink with. I see no harm in shooting steel or aluminum casing.

I've thought about the idea and have looked online for info about the remote possibility of starting an indoor range but the cost/labor/legal matters are too much for an indoor range. Ventilation, traps, cleanup, red tape, etc. Hard to get your money back at 10-20 bucks a pop. That's why Barney's has gun sales and tailors to LE.

There are really only a few gripes I have:

1. FIX VENTILATION! On a busy day, it gets extremely smokey in there.
    2. We should shoot whatever the hell we want.
    3. Fix the damn cameras. The tv's are there but no cameras. I'd have to waste time and bring the target back in if I'm shooting at 25 yds. Rather give the customer some option since it's there.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    LOL I have shoot at Barneys for the past probably 4 years and I am yet to remember 1 time when the "cameras" were working, sometimes you are lucky if the damm light in the bay comes on, and I agree with you on the smoke part sometimes is like a death chamber in there but once again we stuck forever with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom