Went to Jim's today out of desperation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    Count me in the group who has been there once. I think the $45 box of .380 FMJ sealed the deal for me.

That actually was what sucked me in the 2nd time at Donovans (.380 ammo).

They posted "we have. 380 ammo in stock" on their sign, so I stopped and went in (back when. 380 ammo was completely unavailable and I had a craving to shoot my Walther PPK-S)

They won't get me a third time. I'm slow and stupid, but eventually I can be taught.

Last edited:

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    My only problem with Jim's is the prices on used guns, which are absurd with zero/near-nil negotiation (but my solution is not to buy). New prices (for what I have looked at) have been reasonable. Some things have been on the high side of market value, but not scandalous.

In terms of experience, I wonder if some posters caught someone on a bad day, or the other half of the story explains why the salesman acted accordingly. I have never had attitude, or unprofessional service. When I bought a Colt WWI Repro (one of their two remaining ones), I was permitted to buy pistol A with the grips from pistol B on it upon request (Colt in it amazing consistency installed ambi-notched stocks on one). Moreover, the gunsmith (Scott, the tall, younger smith) has always been personable and helpful. He adjusted my front sight at no charge in an Inglis Hi-power, and helped me before rummaging through their parts bin. Once, Jim himself took my Remington Rand and restaked a loose plunger in 10 min while I waited, and charged about $15 or $20 (I think $15), which was fair IMO based on time and convenience.

I am a bargain hunter. If Bowie, Hebert. or LA Reloading has X for $50 less, I'm there with cash. If I want a Colt that I can actually inspect before buying (I was burned on a Bud's Guns lemon before -no fault of Bud's), then Jim's is useful (hence my purchase of a Delta and WWI). I consider Jims a decent, if not good establishment, with a great selection (particualrly for a place that doesn't make 75% of its revenue on kayaks and fishing rods). What holds it back from being a "great" store IMO is the unwillingness to work w. the customer on price and the absurdly-priced used guns, but that won't keep me from setting foot there or cause me to curse their name.

Last edited:

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    My only problem with Jim's is the prices on used guns, which are absurd with zero/near-nil negotiation (but my solution is not to buy). New prices (for what I have looked at) have been reasonable. Some things have been on the high side of market value, but not scandalous.

In terms of experience, I wonder if some posters caught someone on a bad day, or the other half of the story explains why the salesman acted accordingly. I have never had attitude, or unprofessional service. When I bought a Colt WWI Repro (one of their two remaining ones), I was permitted to buy pistol A with the grips from pistol B on it upon request (Colt in it amazing consistency installed ambi-notched stocks on one). Moreover, the gunsmith (Scott, the tall, younger smith) has always been personable and helpful. He adjusted my front sight at no charge in an Inglis Hi-power, and helped me before rummaging through their parts bin. Once, Jim himself took my Remington Rand and restaked a loose plunger in 10 min while I waited, and charged about $15 or $20 (I think $15), which was fair IMO based on time and convenience.

I am a bargain hunter. If Bowie, Hebert. or LA Reloading has X for $50 less, I'm there with cash. If I want a Colt that I can actually inspect before buying (I was burned on a Bud's Guns lemon before -no fault of Bud's), then Jim's is useful (hence my purchase of a Delta and WWI). I consider Jims a decent, if not good establishment, with a great selection (particualrly for a place that doesn't make 75% of its revenue on kayaks and fishing rods). What holds it back from being a "great" store IMO is the unwillingness to work w. the customer on price and the absurdly-priced used guns, but that won't keep me from setting foot there or cause me to curse their name.
    Pawn shop prices..........High as Giraffe ass on used guns !!!

Last edited:

matholley

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Denham Springs
    The Jim's experience I had may not compare to some of yours but none the less drove me to 1.) never shop there and 2.) tell anyone that will listen about it.

I was home on leave from my 3rd overseas deployment and in Jim's to spend some of my hard earned money. Without asking, I had a kid (approx 21y/o) start telling me about how much of a bad ass he was and what his job in the military was. To my amazement, it was the exact job I had and had just conducted on my 3rd combat deployment. Being a little skeptical about this young mans experience, I began asking questions about his qualifications. None of his answers were even close to accurate. I was standing face to face with a fraud. I explained with as much restraint as possible that I knew he was completely full of s**t and turned my back on him and Jim's.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The Jim's experience I had may not compare to some of yours but none the less drove me to 1.) never shop there and 2.) tell anyone that will listen about it.

I was home on leave from my 3rd overseas deployment and in Jim's to spend some of my hard earned money. Without asking, I had a kid (approx 21y/o) start telling me about how much of a bad ass he was and what his job in the military was. To my amazement, it was the exact job I had and had just conducted on my 3rd combat deployment. Being a little skeptical about this young mans experience, I began asking questions about his qualifications. None of his answers were even close to accurate. I was standing face to face with a fraud. I explained with as much restraint as possible that I knew he was completely full of s**t and turned my back on him and Jim's.

That's hardly a reason to hold something against Jim. Personally I would have told him about it directly.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Stopped by there yesterday. I needed a grip screw for my EMP. Handed it off to a guy behind the counter who in turned handed it to the smith. Had a friendly chat about carry weapons, etc, and was out the door in a couple minutes. No complaints as of yet. Staying open minded.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T

I was standing face to face with a fraud. I explained with as much restraint as possible that I knew he was completely full of s**t and turned my back on him and Jim's.

Thank you for sharing your experence after Visiting Jim's. I have recieved the exact type of treatment during my last and final visit a couple of years ago.

But most of all thank you for your service to our country allowing me to be free and enjoy the freedom of speech some take for granted.

Jim did not want to hear my complaint back then and you Sir confirm my thoughts that that crappy service continues.

Thanks again for helping me confirm I made a good decision not to trade with Jims

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    The few times that i went to Jim's, Mr. Mac was in and they treated me like I was their only customer. I shot with Mr. Mac regularly. If Jim is anything like his dad, he can't have a bad bone in his body.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    The few times that i went to Jim's, Mr. Mac was in and they treated me like I was their only customer. I shot with Mr. Mac regularly. If Jim is anything like his dad, he can't have a bad bone in his body.

Mac did my first CHP renewal class. We are about the same age and he spent some time in Connecticut so we had a lot to talk about.

Did he retire from the Army a full bird? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    :eh:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Mac did my first CHP renewal class. We are about the same age and he spent some time in Connecticut so we had a lot to talk about.

Did he retire from the Army a full bird? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    :eh:
    That question, I can't answer. I am much younger than Mac. We shared the passion of competitive pistol shooting. He did a fine job of shooting the bull too. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom