What’s so great about 6.5 ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    It has been my experience that a can screwed on the end of a barrel turns a good load into a great load.
    Maybe it’s more mass at the end of the barrel to help tune it. Or, maybe it’s the human element with the shooter having less recoil and noise allowing him to focus more on the shot.
    Helps me shoot better for sure

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It has been my experience that a can screwed on the end of a barrel turns a good load into a great load.
    Maybe it’s more mass at the end of the barrel to help tune it. Or, maybe it’s the human element with the shooter having less recoil and noise allowing him to focus more on the shot.
    I’ve always found the suppressor part of this conversation interesting. Depending on who you talk to a suppressor will either be like screwing some magical wiz bang device onto your gun that turns it into a sub moa tac driver. Then the other half will swear that a suppressor will turn a sub moa gun into a barley acceptable “combat accuracy” only type of gun. So which is it? Do we have data that would prove one statement truer than the other?

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I’ve always found the suppressor part of this conversation interesting. Depending on who you talk to a suppressor will either be like screwing some magical wiz bang device onto your gun that turns it into a sub moa tac driver. Then the other half will swear that a suppressor will turn a sub moa gun into a barley acceptable “combat accuracy” only type of gun. So which is it? Do we have data that would prove one statement truer than the other?
    Data on paper, no. Only can tell you what I have observed with a lot of time behind a bolt gun shooting competitively over 10 years.

The only thing I generally keep is load development target groups (with varying charge increments and distance from the lands) of when I first get a new barrel screwed on an action. If I’m going to be shooting that particular rifle suppressed, I’ll do load development with a can. But generally, my observation has been what I stated above.
    I have seen a suppressor make a rifle shoot considerably worse though. In that case it was an AAC SDN6 on a .308. Lockup in the QD on those cans are terrible and definitely do not belong on a precision rifle.

Last edited:

gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    The 6.5 is the hot caliber. The .308 is the old school tried and true caliber. Both are excellent calibers. The .308 will deliver more energy at point of impact. The 6.5 has better potential accuracy at long range. I say potential, because no one shot is the same as the next shot. The one consistent negative I have heard about 6.5 is that the round is so fast, that it often does not do as much internal tissue damage as the .308. With the 6.5, shot placement may be more critical. For me, hunting in south Mississippi, I would choose the .308. Most shots are relatively close (under 300 yards).

geeck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    SE Louisiana
    6.5 CM is like the new shiny fishing lure, that are designed to catch fishermen not fish. It's amazing what a few well placed stories in gun magazines can do for what amounts to a retreaded 6.5 Swede

Attachments

• full-17127-25734-65_meme.jpg.366064d315f4585262c28d104094d85f.jpg
      full-17127-25734-65_meme.jpg.366064d315f4585262c28d104094d85f.jpg
      36.4 KB · Views: 24
    Top Bottom