What air rifle to buy ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtchb

8 mag
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Kenner La.
    I'm looking for a pellet rifle to shoot the possums in my backyard, to many houses around for the old .22 but don't want to spend a fortune on one.
    Thanks Dutch

Trickasabrick

older than dirt
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Prairieville
    I could be wrong but I don't think there are many, if any reasonably priced air rifles that will be effective against possums. You may scare and hurt them, and one might die later of complications, but they are pretty tough. Got a bow?

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I have a turkish made Daisy crack barrel .177 fires at 1000 fps with a plastic stock it will kill a Opossum quick!! I bought it for 59.00 it will do the job, but I should have spent 40 more bucks and got the Crosman XT Storm, same mechanics but with a nice wood stock

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    What is your price limit?
    1. I agree that you should go with .22 over .177. I have seen a squirrel take two .177 shots in the torso and continue trying to crawl away.
    2. Springer or gas ram would probably be the way to go with your budget. I think you can get some pretty nice stuff for $100 bucks if you shop around.
    3. Stick with a solid brand. Crosman, Beeman, benjamin, RWS and maybe Gamo. It will be easier to find parts, fixes and advice on popular brands and models. I have heard alot of negative feedback on Gamo customer service and there appears to be some difficulty finding parts for them. There is definitely no such issue with the Crosman family of airguns.
    4. Don't pay more for a gun with a scope. The cheap scopes that come with the guns are terrible.
    5. Check http://www.pyramydair.com/

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I agree on the Crosman XT Storm. Paid right around $100 for it at Wally World and I've killed many, many rats with mine. Opossums may be a different story though. :dunno:

I'm definitely no expert on air rifles, but I do have a Gamo Whisper as well that cost almost 3x as much and I prefer the Crosman.

HRBR1800

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    I agree on the Crosman XT Storm. Paid right around $100 for it at Wally World and I've killed many, many rats with mine. Opossums may be a different story though. :dunno:

I'm definitely no expert on air rifles, but I do have a Gamo Whisper as well that cost almost 3x as much and I prefer the Crosman.

Shot a possum several times with a .177 and he was still alive for a little while.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I shot a possum, on top of a fence, in the head with a crossman pump air pistol (1377 IIRC) from about 6 feet. The possum shook his head a few times but didn't even fall off the fence. Those things are tough. Bow works great though.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    It depends on how much you want to spend. I have had a bunch of spring piston guns, but have been working with new Benjamin Nito Piston rifle in .177 lately. I am now conviced that the Nito Piston is the way to go. The recoil is much smoother than any spring piston gun, and the power is awsome. Cocking effort is strong, but consistant throughout the stroke. I may have to get one in .22 which should work on bigger critters such as possum with head shots. Possums do take an awful lot of killing. Sometimes they just don't know they should be dead.

Bobcat32

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lake Charles
    No gun,,Big HAMMER,,preferably 28 oz stanley works gr8,,,Possums are what they are named,,They play possum when you get close enough,,SPotlight them,get on them,,slam the ham..DONE :),,Silent and deadly,,Now you may receive blood stains,,but thas all part of the war on [possum dudes,,,,,,

But if you need gun,,Benjamin is great .177 ..Ive seen a few around for $100,,SOme just need the seals redone,,I think seals are like $35-45...:)

Last edited:

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    My two sons and I all have one of those $25 crack barrel 177 pump air guns and one night there was a huge 'possum in my Talla tree, about 10 ft up. We each put at least 6-8 shots into his head and torso before he fell to the ground where Mr. Shovel turned out his lights for good.

I agree with the .22 CB for big critters like coons and 'possums.

Last edited:

dww

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Grayson
    I've taken 3 or 4 of them with my Benjamin .20 cal with domed pellets. Just get within 10 or 12 feet and make it a head shot, it'll knock the snot out of them. I had to clean up with another shot on two of them but they didn't go anywhere after the first shot. I have a Beeman .22 cal that I haven't shot anything with but it would work I'm pretty sure, comparing the power to the Benjamin.

Top Bottom