What are the winters here like?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    I came to Louisiana in September of 2010 but I spent last winter in Afghanistan so I don't know what they're like down here.

How cold does it get?

Does it snow?

I'm from Chicago and on the cooler days, I don't see too many folks walking around in shorts and t-shirts like I have been... :eek3:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Here in New Orleans, it only snows about once in ten years; but I have been colder here in 40 degree weather than in a 12 degree blizzard in Utah. Cat can probably clue you in on snow frequency in the Ft. plk area. I doubt that you'll need Chicago-style cold weather gear, though.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I came to Louisiana in September of 2010 but I spent last winter in Afghanistan so I don't know what they're like down here.

How cold does it get?

Does it snow?

I'm from Chicago and on the cooler days, I don't see too many folks walking around in shorts and t-shirts like I have been... :eek3:

What is this winter you talk about. It gets cool and rainy in Jan and Feb, mid teens is usually the coldest few nights of the year.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    it's december and 70 outside... a couple days ago it was in the low 30's. that situation will randomly repeat itself until february or so

Our seasons consist of Crawfish, Shrimp, LSU Football, and King Cake

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    it's december and 70 outside... a couple days ago it was in the low 30's. that situation will randomly repeat itself until february or so

Our seasons consist of Crawfish, Shrimp, LSU Football, and King Cake

It didn't seem that cold a few days ago when it was in the 30's. We were still outside in shorts. I guess I'm just conditioned to the cold from living up north for so many years.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Yeah, I remember one summer when I was a teenager, my grandma paid for round-trip tickets for my brother and I to fly up and visit her in Vermont. When we got there, she had to buy us each a new fall wardrobe, since all we brought were shorts and t-shirts. It was freakin cold up there in July!!!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Our sled dawgs wear sunglasses and flip flops...does that help ??

I lived in Ohio and Ky for a couple years...came back here ( SW La ) in December and wore shorts and T Shirt

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    seasons here are football, duck and deer, crawfish and hurricane.

Winter has been great, was out at the camp last two days, moved it, got a little wet and didnt have to wear layers of sunscreen or winter clothes..

love it here..

Trey@IG

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Northshore of Chocolate City
    It didn't seem that cold a few days ago when it was in the 30's. We were still outside in shorts. I guess I'm just conditioned to the cold from living up north for so many years.

did you by any chance go to the chow hall at ft polk in shorts this past weekend? i was there at the range this past weekend with my unit and saw 3-4 guys in shorts walk into the chow hall thinking they were crazy because i was freezing even with my warming layers

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I'm from here, and I still walk outside in short sleeves, even when it's cold (according to LA standards).

August and September are my favorite months. High heat and humidity is how I like it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    However, we have 70%+ humidity, so our 40F feels like about 25F.

The good news is that if we get a freeze it'll cut down the number of mosquitoes for next year!

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    Stay here long enough, and I'm sure you'll be reconditioned to our "winter". Move back to Chicago after a few years, and you will be referred to as "The Wuss".

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla

It's a different cold in Jan/Feb. A deep penetrating wet cold so that makes a noticeable change. In many ways it's worse. I'd rather a minus zero dry snow than I would 35 degree rain.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    We have a saying up here in the NW corner, If you don't like the weather wait 30 minutes and it will change. That may explain why I see so many D A'S up here walking around in shorts wearing heavy coats.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    In the Baton Rouge area, we've had snow 2-3 times in the past five years...and that's more frequent than usual...two years ago it was actually as early as 12/13! Oddly, the past two winters have been colder for a little longer than normal also, once it got to late December we'd stay below 40F for a couple weeks at a time rather than a few days through February.

Generally speaking though, we may get nightime lows in the teens once or twice for a few consecutive days...other than that cold fronts wil have high/low of about 55/30 and after they pass we'll be back to 50/65. Like everyone mentioned though, the wet cold will chill you to the bone.

Top Bottom