What Are You Using For The "Primitve" Season?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    The Martini-Henry is chambered in .577/450. It's a honking big round, but it's subsonic, so the noise isn't so bad. That one came out of the Nepal cache.

That gun in that caliber is legal for the primitive season my-rifle.

The regulations says;

Single shot, breech loading rifles, .38 caliber or larger of a kind or type manufactured prior to 1900 and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of that type rifle having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern
    smokeless powder. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.

The .577/450 Martini-Henry is pre-1900.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    The damn bill is so vague that it may allow a Ruger No. 1. I think we will need to see what happens with the DWLF's regs.

The handi-rifle route ain't happening here.
    Dont be a rifle snob Dan, they are actually very accurate. In fact you should check out Mike Belms page on the recent quality control problems coming out of TC since S&W bought them, crooked chambers, offset chambers, oversize holes, etc.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    Oops! You're right highstandard40. No exposed hammer = not legal.

It just goes to show you how dumb that regulation is. I can use my Browning 1885 45-70 made in 1976 with its 2x7 Leupold scope that shoots hot loaded 300 grain JHP bullets into three inch groups at 200 yards. But my-rifle can't use an original iron sighted Martini-Henry with lead bullets at something around 1400 fps. Pure silliness!

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    What has me confused is the wording of the regulation:

Single shot, breech loading rifles, .38 caliber or larger of a kind or type manufactured prior to 1900 and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of that type rifle having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder.

Technically this appears to mean that reproductions of the rifles need to have exposed hammers. I could always take one of my Martinis and cut a hole in the receiver, so the hammer is visible :)

Alternately I guess I could use one of my Sniders. The Snider was a P1853 musket with the butt-end of the barrel cut off and replaced with a steel rod parallel to the bore that pivots up and out of the way for loading. There's no extractor on the Snider, and again you have to make your own ammo.

PA274086.jpg

PA274099.jpg

Last edited:

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    Good point my-rifle. You could make a good (and I believe valid) argument that your gun fits the basic description by being manufactured prior to 1900, and the "exposed hammer" provision applies to reproductions and reintroductions. A sympathetic WL agent would likely give you a pass. But a jerk could really give you grief and probably confiscate the gun in the bargain. You would likely win in court, but who has the time, money and energy for that sort of fight.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I use my 45-70 singel shot H&R I load all of my Ammo, curently I use 300 grain JHP, at 2200 FPS, workes great...
    I hunt Louisiana Area 1, with a 12 November opening day for the "primitive" weapons season. I know the season is already open for you guys hunting some other areas.

There are ten guys in our club, eight will be using muzzle loaders and two will be using 45-70 single shots. I'll be sitting in a box overlooking a food plot with either my .45 caliber Renegade or .50 TC Omega X7 (haven't decided which one yet).

So, what do you use during the primitive season?

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    myrifle, that Snyder looks to be in darn good shape. It must be a hoot to shoot. Those are smoothbores aren't they? Do you load a hollow base bullet in the cartridge case? What kind of accuracy do you get with it?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    myrifle, that Snyder looks to be in darn good shape. It must be a hoot to shoot. Those are smoothbores aren't they? Do you load a hollow base bullet in the cartridge case? What kind of accuracy do you get with it?

Actually they're rifles as were the P53s they were made from. The rifling in mine is really beautiful, as it is in all the guns I bought out of the Nepal cache.

Red Jacket

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 4, 2007
    Brown Bess cut back to 28 inchs and a N.W. Trade gun in .62 . Working on a bow for next year .

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    This is what I used last year for LA PW. It's a 209x45 Contender. I use a 357 Max Contender carbine in MS. Sure wish I could use handguns in MS or Contenders in LA so I could use one or the other for both states.

TC002.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom