What are your reasons to OC?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    needing entertainment today?

Actually, I'm doing this with the best intentions. I want to make sure I'm not missing something with it. I'm trying to learn more about it, and just gathering info from other people's perspectives, and reasoning why they do it.

I have parades for entertainment today....yuck.

JR1572

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Actually, I'm doing this with the best intentions. I want to make sure I'm not missing something with it. I'm trying to learn more about it, and just gathering info from other people's perspectives, and reasoning why they do it.

I have parades for entertainment today....yuck.

JR157/

Try being stuck in dispatch as part of FTO for two weeks in the middle of parade season. :squint:

God help me.

Back on topic, I don't OC either. :D

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    needing entertainment today?

+1 This Horse is dead. Do a seach if you want info. There are several threads where this exact issue was tied to the whipping post. But if you must atleast refer to it properly and call it Open Carry not OC for the following reason.

You may have noticed that I continue to use the term "open-carry" rather than "OC." This is avoid confusion with Oleoresin Capsicum, a Latin phrase meaning "Give me some water, bitch. This sh*t is melting my eyeballs."

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    +1 This Horse is dead. Do a seach if you want info. There are several threads where this exact issue was tied to the whipping post. But if you must atleast refer to it properly and call it Open Carry not OC for the following reason.

What was I thinking? You are right, I bet no one's opinions/views have changed in time? I have no intention of making this an OC bashing post/dead horse beat down.

And the OC joke about confusing it with pepper spay is sophomoric.

JR1572

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As mentioned B4 its simply more comfotable , eventhough I dont fully open carry, I do wear an OWB leather holster that is covered by a shirt or jacket (when weather allows) very frequently at 3 oclock, when in need of full concealment its Apendix carry for me most of the time.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Comfort and convience. Simple as that. Pick up gun belt. Swing it on and snap buckle. Adjust were everything is and go. When I'm ready to take everything off just unbuckle gun belt, place it next to bed or car trunk or whereever, and move on whatever I'm doing.
    steveinyardfeb2011a.jpg

steveinyardfeb2011b.jpg

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Comfort and convience. Simple as that. Pick up gun belt. Swing it on and snap buckle. Adjust were everything is and go. When I'm ready to take everything off just unbuckle gun belt, place it next to bed or car trunk or whereever, and move on whatever I'm doing.
    steveinyardfeb2011a.jpg

steveinyardfeb2011b.jpg

What's that radio thing on your left side?

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I'm interested in why people do it. I don't.

JR1572

I prefer not to. Seems like you'r just asking for attention, good or bad. We get enough bad press without making others uncomfortable. On the rare occasions where I had to take my coat off exposing my handgun, no one approached me at all. But I don't like to broadcast the fact that I am armed. To me it's just asking for a confrontation.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    What's that radio thing on your left side?
    Kenwood TM-K2 VHF ht with speaker mike. One of 2 HTs I regularly carry. The other is a often a Pro-204 V/Uhf dualbander.
    catscanhts.jpg

Here's a photo with one of my babies checking them out. 204 on Left and K2 on right.

Last edited:

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    I would caution those that OC to consider you might give up a lot more than you gain, even in comfort and convenience.

"I can" doesn't always equate to "I should", and my take on it has nothing to do with rights. We can all agree we have the right to self defense.

It is about not drawing unnecessary and unwanted attention to myself, from LE, bad people, and sheeple. I just want to live my life and be able to defend my life or family should I be forced to - I do not want to alert the world I am armed.

You are right. That is why I rarely open carry but I still do. Mostly it's concealed because I don't want the attention either.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I prefer not to. Seems like you'r just asking for attention, good or bad. We get enough bad press without making others uncomfortable. On the rare occasions where I had to take my coat off exposing my handgun, no one approached me at all. But I don't like to broadcast the fact that I am armed. To me it's just asking for a confrontation.

I feel it should make no more difference that you have the pistol on your belt than if you have your cellphone on your belt or a Minimag flashlight in a belt pouch. No body has caused a confontation because they had a belt case for their reading glasses or their iphone. The Ruger should be no different. I consider it just another peice of gear I daily carry on my belt instead of my pockets.

Last edited:

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Kenwood TM-K2 VHF ht with speaker mike. One of 2 HTs I regularly carry. The other is a often a Pro-204 V/Uhf dualbander.
    catscanhts.jpg

Here's a photo with one of my babies checking them out. 204 on Left and K2 on right.

Is that like a CB radio or something? Do you carry it all the time? What do you use it for?

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Way more comfortable to open C ( new designation, not confused with that other stuff )

I like Open C anywhere it doesn't attract attention, like Walmarks

I don't buy that swing on a gun belt thing tho, if I try to use a 2 in duty belt over another belt w/o at least one keeper it's a belt rodeo on my 6. Plus if I added all them radio thingys on an Open C belt it have to be tactical suspenders time.

Open c on my pants belt is the simplest , @ 4 of the clock ( still avoiding that OC glitch )

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    My holster tends to stay in place pretty well so no Rodeo problems here but I know what you mean. I like the easy on, easy off with all my stuff on my belt. I have my radio, my OC (not to be confused woth Open C) , my mag case with spare mag and voice recorder, etc.....
    Open c on my pants belt is the simplest , @ 4 of the clock ( still avoiding that OC glitch )
    On the pants belt is OK sometimes too.
    I have a belt slide holster but I don't use it as much as I used to. Sometimes when I'm just hanging around the house like making dinner.
    stevecookingfeb2011.jpg

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    I do not open carry. I do conceal carry every day. I like knowing if my gun was somehow showing, I would not be charged with open carry.

I am glad the option exists. If someone suddenly needed to carry and didnt have a permit, they have a legal option. New residents being a great example.

A few OCers carry with an agenda. Thats not for me. But still, I think the people who call 911 for OC are morons.

Top Bottom