What brand is a mixed matched AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you have an upper from brand A and a lower from brand B, what brand is your AR? I've seen a few ads with a title that says they're selling a Brand whatever AR. But the description says only part of the rifle is that brand. So how much of the rifle needs to be from one brand to label the AR that brand?

This post may or may not lead to a spirited discussion. If it does, please keep it civil and on topic.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    If you have an upper from brand A and a lower from brand B, what brand is your AR? I've seen a few ads with a title that says they're selling a Brand whatever AR. But the description says only part of the rifle is that brand. So how much of the rifle needs to be from one brand to label the AR that brand?

This post may or may not lead to a spirited discussion. If it does, please keep it civil and on topic.
    Why not just message the person and have them fix it or delete the thread all together and have them re do it

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It should be listed how you bought/built it.

For example:
    Complete Noveske n4 rifle

Or
    Complete bcm upper on aero lower with cmmg parts kit

Or if it’s a ground up build

Noveske barrel, vltor upper, dd hand guard, on Seekins lower, seekins lpk with magpul furniture.

Unless it was a complete rifle from the factory or build using complete lower/upper from the same manufacturer. The individual parts should be listed unless some part was bought complete like an AAC 12.5 inch upper. From the factory it came with a nickel boron bolt carrier, and knights urx3 rail. That can be left out of the add Bc it would be understood it’s a factory upper

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It would be wise to list the parts unless it’s a factory rifle. Any modifications to a factory rifle should be listed.

In addition to the parts specification, it would also be helpful to list how and who assembled it, if it is a non-factory assembled rifle.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My first AR is a Colt. Several more followed until I bought a Armalite. Then a couple Olympic arms and more Colts and Colt GI parts kits, Eagle Arms receivers and then I broke into the AR10 game with some Panther arms which became DPMS. Then suddenly there were some untold number of AR rifle and parts manufacturers jumping on the AR train and with them came the self proclaimed aficionados who assembled 10 or 30 or 50 AR rifles and decided they knew more than people who were building them in the 1980’s. Mine range from what many here consider the elite of all AR rifles to the lesser and even budget brands. Many are those I’ve built using parts from various manufacturers that somehow came together and wound up being some of the longest lasting most problem free rifles I’ve shot to date. I’d rather hand pick a few primary parts and assemble exactly what I want than buy a prebuilt AR from a manufacturer because of their name. I stick with what I know after more than 35 years of building and shooting these guns and I fully understand that the vast majority of everything AR these days is....hype.
    Hype that I see right through. Hype that makes a lot of new AR owners believe they are ready to be a commando and their AR is the best and no rifle anyone could build for less than $1000 could possibly fire and function and hold up to the combat conditions that they will never see...
    If you treat the new purchase of an AR like buying a car and worry more about resale value or bragging rights than the purpose for buying it, then go spend those dollars and pimp that bad boy out until it’s so heavy and customized that you’re the only person who will actually want it for the money and when you want to move on or pay your bills you can part it out, but for about 2/3 or less what you have in it.
    So, what brand is my AR? What brand do you wanna see? Daniel Defense? Stag, Sig, BCM, Yeah, I have it and some you’ve never heard of. I enjoy them all.
    Because I know.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    All of my AR's are built on Poverty Pony or 80% Receivers.

In the past I have disposed of a few.

I generally list the major components, Receiver, Upper, Barrel, BCG and FCG.

I don't get into any great detail, as the audience here is easily bored.

For instance, I don't list maker of gas tube, buffer assembly, or furniture unless it is something out of the ordinary.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    If upper and lower are not by the same company then it is not that type of rifle. For example if you have a BCM upper and a PSA lower then it is a frakenbuild and should be sold as such and maybe the WTS thread title should say so...... But it is up to the buyer to read the post also. I did see one on here where they said it was one brand but only the upper was that brand and the lower was another brand but at least it was listed that way in the for sale thread and was not trying to be pawned off as the name brand upper.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    I got mutts and factory guns, Colt, DPMS and Ruger. Took one of the Ruger's out yesterday, SR7.62. Was impressed using GI ammo with the hit ratio out to 300 yards with a 1-4 Viper LPVO on steel down to a 6" plate. Just a bipod and a 8# stock trigger. :)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My post was inspired by some ads but was a general question.

It would be no different than any other firearm.

If it’s factory, mark it as such.
    If it’s factory with modifications, mark it and list the modifications.
    If it’s assembled with random parts, mark it and list the parts as well as other relevant info.

I see what you see. A lot of people slapping a complete upper on a complete lower of differing brands and calling it X branded rifle. I also see a lot of homebuilt junk that people neglect to list components used and still seem to believe it’s X brand factory rifle.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Colt M4 LE 6940, Aim Point PRO red dot, Surefire light, Geissele SSA trigger, Rogers super stock, BMC Gunfighter vertical foregrip, Magpul MOE-K2 pistol grip,
    home made 2 point sling with QD swivels similar to the Vickers sling.

Took a while to get to this configuration but it's perfect for me.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I kinda like how Armalite does it. If they sell a complete rifle the lower is branded Armalite. If they sell parts then the parts are branded Eagle Arms. Probably the same parts, but they just want you to know what you are getting.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    It would be no different than any other firearm.

If it’s factory, mark it as such.
    If it’s factory with modifications, mark it and list the modifications.
    If it’s assembled with random parts, mark it and list the parts as well as other relevant info.

I see what you see. A lot of people slapping a complete upper on a complete lower of differing brands and calling it X branded rifle. I also see a lot of homebuilt junk that people neglect to list components used and still seem to believe it’s X brand factory rifle.

Dont leave out the upper, lower and bolt all being different manufacturers and tolerances. That's a wonderful trifecta. Only to be eclipsed by adding "Custom trigger job" to the listing. Then you KNOW you are getting the scariest rifle possible.

I have to have the same explanation with my customers that cannot comprehend why their "custom" Aero, PSA, or other hobby brand rifle is not the same as a Colt, LWRC, BCM type rifle.

I usually go with the Nissan GT-R explanation. There is a reason a stock GT-R motor can take 1,000hp without flinching, and a Nissan Sentra cant. Metallurgy is a big deal in cars and rifles. There is a reason a rifle costs $799.00, and others cost double that.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dont leave out the upper, lower and bolt all being different manufacturers and tolerances. That's a wonderful trifecta. Only to be eclipsed by adding "Custom trigger job" to the listing. Then you KNOW you are getting the scariest rifle possible.

I have to have the same explanation with my customers that cannot comprehend why their "custom" Aero, PSA, or other hobby brand rifle is not the same as a Colt, LWRC, BCM type rifle.

I usually go with the Nissan GT-R explanation. There is a reason a stock GT-R motor can take 1,000hp without flinching, and a Nissan Sentra cant. Metallurgy is a big deal in cars and rifles. There is a reason a rifle costs $799.00, and others cost double that.

Glad to see you are one of the few people who actually read the OP and thread, and are not just posting your favorite rifle :rofl:

I saw a few rifles not long ago that were listed as X brand simply because they bought a barrel and poorly assembled a cheap upper. Word of advice to anyone reading, even with all the correct parts, the rifle needs to be assembled properly and I don't see that very often with these Bayoushooter home builds.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Glad to see you are one of the few people who actually read the OP and thread, and are not just posting your favorite rifle :rofl:

I saw a few rifles not long ago that were listed as X brand simply because they bought a barrel and poorly assembled a cheap upper. Word of advice to anyone reading, even with all the correct parts, the rifle needs to be assembled properly and I don't see that very often with these Bayoushooter home builds.

Guess the title could be a little clearer. Maybe “what do you call a mixed matched AR”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Guess the title could be a little clearer. Maybe *what do you call a mixed matched AR*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree the title is a bit misleading.

The title could be "How do you label a mismatched firearm when selling it?"

But the point stands. Even if you had a BCM stripped receiver, barrel, and MCMR, it's not a BCM rifle.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    I agree the title is a bit misleading.

The title could be "How do you label a mismatched firearm when selling it?"

But the point stands. Even if you had a BCM stripped receiver, barrel, and MCMR, it's not a BCM rifle.

What's even more strange I've seen are Boutique manufacturers that use other components. A buddy of mine just bought a premium priced AR-15, brand new, "manufactured" by Fostech. Came with a Fostech Binary Trigger pre-installed, now I didn't inspect most of the components of the gun but I handled it briefly and saw that the handguard was a Midwest Industries handguard..... I wonder how many other components were other brands... It was sold as a brand new Fostech Rifle from a retailer, Not saying anything is shady about that or anything, Midwest is a reputable brand, It was just a little perplexing and this thread reminded me of it.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    What's even more strange I've seen are Boutique manufacturers that use other components. A buddy of mine just bought a premium priced AR-15, brand new, "manufactured" by Fostech. Came with a Fostech Binary Trigger pre-installed, now I didn't inspect most of the components of the gun but I handled it briefly and saw that the handguard was a Midwest Industries handguard..... I wonder how many other components were other brands... It was sold as a brand new Fostech Rifle from a retailer, Not saying anything is shady about that or anything, Midwest is a reputable brand, It was just a little perplexing and this thread reminded me of it.

Agreed. Was approached by a local "manufacturer" to engrave their lowers with custom markings. I'm not sure what was more humorous that he wanted 77% off my usual prices, or that when I went to see his "custom" guns for sale they were literally manufactured guns with different rails, and his markings. I mean it was like Aero or some other low end stuff with a aftermarket rail, some Cerakote, and his name on the receiver, and he was charging north of $2,200 for them and the uninformed were buying them like hot cakes.

That Guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2021
    South of Houma
    My favorite rifle has a WOA barrel, spikes gas tube, WOA gas block, G MK7 rail, colt flash hider, JP crush washer, toolcraft bolt, BCM upper, LMT lower, Colt fat grip, UBR gen 1 stock assembly, sprinco spring, brownells h1 buffer, Aero Precision lower parts kit, and a RRA national match trigger. Oh, and a psa charging handle.
    When asked I just say it’s a mutt

Top Bottom