What do you carry for CCW?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedster

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    HK P2000SK LEM 9mm with 13rd mag, in a Don Hume for now until I get around to ordering a Comptac MTAC.

How are you liking the P2000SK? I was torn between that and the XDm. Went with the XDm mainly due to the price and because I heard there was a slide rusting issue with the SK.

I also use a Comptac MTAC and love it. :thumbsup:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Looks like most carry not so small firearms. Although they are labeled compact, its not small
    Ain't no reason to go smaller than I need to. I found that a standard full size was too hard to conceal in a tuckable holster, but the "compact" model sized grip was good, and found my perfect in-between.

Holster is a MTAC/Minotaur, fwiw. Belt is a Ranger belt until I get around to buying a nice leather gun belt for office wear.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    How are you liking the P2000SK? I was torn between that and the XDm. Went with the XDm mainly due to the price and because I heard there was a slide rusting issue with the SK.

I also use a Comptac MTAC and love it. :thumbsup:

Never have seen an HK P2000/SK slide with any rust. Only one I've seen with slide finish damage was an HK45 that was tossed in a river only to be found 3 months later, and HK replaced all of the internals for free. There was an issue with some of the P2000 fullsize that were issued to squids, but it was a springs, and few and far in between, minor corrosion while out to sea from what I understand. I carry mine daily, I never clean it, and it looks fine. I'm used to my USP Hybrid fullsize, so I still don't shoot this one quite as well, but it's not a steep learning curve.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Ain't no reason to go smaller than I need to. I found that a standard full size was too hard to conceal in a tuckable holster, but the "compact" model sized grip was good, and found my perfect in-between.

Holster is a MTAC/Minotaur, fwiw. Belt is a Ranger belt until I get around to buying a nice leather gun belt for office wear.

I figured a compact would not be as easy to conceal. I'm thinking since I wear dress clothes buy them a little larger and get a holster that will wear the gun along my ribs. I may look into ankle carry as well, I just don't see hip carry being comfortable enough

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I figured a compact would not be as easy to conceal. I'm thinking since I wear dress clothes buy them a little larger and get a holster that will wear the gun along my ribs. I may look into ankle carry as well, I just don't see hip carry being comfortable enough

The waist is more comfortable than the ankle for a compact size pistol. Most ankle carry sub compacts and some do not find them comfortable.
    Unless you are physically fit you will probable have to bend over to draw from an ankle holster which is not a good thing.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I wore my M&P (full size slide with compact grip) in a Comp Tac Minotaur holster with my dress shirt tucked into my slacks. I wear it at 2'oclock, thereabouts, to prevent a bulge at my hip (because there's only one bulge the ladies should focus on M I RITE?) and if I'm wearing a blazer/jacket, I wear it about 4'oclock.

Never been a problem. That goes for polos, too, on more casual days. Ankle carry is a no-go for me. Ever have your slacks ride up when you cross your legs during a meeting? Yea, one slip up and BAM, you've got an exposed gun basically flagging people despite the holster. Plus I believe it's a tactical FAILURE if it's your only weapon. I've seen guys get faster split times drawing from an ankle holster than many people I know could do from an OWB holster, but these are guys who are pros, that practice it that way.

FWIW, I'm about 6'3" and 250lbs, down from 310, and through that varying size, concealing the pistol has never been a problem. I buy pants that fit me well because I'm also a bachelor, and I don't usually have trouble putting a gun holster in there. So I never buy pants bigger, to suit a gun. It can be a bit tighter at first, but even jeans will stretch enough after a few minutes, and slacks definitely so.

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    kahr cm9,raven holster and spare mag. sometimes while around house my lcp, but always rule #1 in gun fight, have gun.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Glock 19 Gen 4 in a shielded holster. Looking to get a SIG P938 for summer carry. Might even try a belly band if I have to dress up. Just pull a superman shirt open.

Top Bottom