What do you use to clean pistol magazines?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Well, like the title says. What are you guys using?
    I've never cleaned the four that I have before. I usually just wipe them down with a damp cloth. After I left the range today, I noticed that two of them are dirtier than the rest and a damp cloth just ain't cutting it. Just curious as to what everyone else here is using. If it matters, I am referring to steel S&W 9mm magazines.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    An Ammonia based glass cleaner works on most and CLP for more difficult cleaning. Wipe down with paper towel or cotton cloth.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    An Ammonia based glass cleaner works on most and CLP for more difficult cleaning. Wipe down with paper towel or cotton cloth.

Never thought of using a glass cleaner. I may try that in the future before they get real dirty again. I have some CLP somewhere around here, just have to put my hands on it.
    What about the plastic followers? Do you think the CLP is too strong for plastic?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Never thought of using a glass cleaner. I may try that in the future before they get real dirty again. I have some CLP somewhere around here, just have to put my hands on it.
    What about the plastic followers? Do you think the CLP is too strong for plastic?

CLP is fine for the plastic/polymer parts.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I disassemble & toss the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner with a solution of Dawn Platinum Power Clean. Give them half an hour to an hour, depending on how dirty they are. Dry completely, oil, and reassemble. Dawn does a great job cleaning & degreasing, is cheap, and safe for the septic tank. Doesn’t do so well on powder residue or carbon.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I use a product called Plexus. It's sold in motorcycle/atv shops but it works amazingly well on my Glock magazines.

PlexusPlasticPolish_531100-531101.jpg

SemperTy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2014
    Slidell
    I like to put CLP on a magazine then wipe it down, which usually leaves just a very fine coating of preservative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I've hit the inside of mine with a little bit of compressed air too. I never clean the insides though besides that. I don't shoot enough :(

Top Bottom