What else Should I do for competition?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    hey everyone! I just wanted your guys' opinions on USPSA stuff. I competed in Amite this november, and LOVED IT. (for those of you who may have been there, I was the only idiot who brought a drop leg holster.) I ended up scoring well with my USPc .40, but decided I would really go for it in limited, so i got a G17, put a 3.5lb disconnector, extended slide stop/mag release, and a Hogue PowerSpeed Holster. I have some trijicon night sights on it atm, any ideas on better sights? and I think I can still compete in limited, anything else I can/should do to it to improve things?
    Currently rebuilding my firing range on my farm to accomodate a small pistol bay (was just a berm), got some official targets and am building stands for them so I can really practice movement while shooting ( I tend to circle step from the army, instead of linear heel-toe lol). Anyone have ideas suggestions?

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    The Dawson rear adjustables with a fiber optic front are really nice for the Glock but there are plenty of other options. Just know that you will be at a disadvantage, scoring wise, but other than that you might want to get some magazine extenders to get a couple more rounds on board.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I think he is stating you will be shooting minor with a 9mm in limited it is a power factor thing. Of course I don't know much so that could be completely wrong. I know your not penalized for 9mm in production however maybe you ought to think about shooting production. Also there is a calendar button in the brown toolbar at the top of the screen it has all the match dates and stuff. (It took me 3 months until someone told me that) Three gun involves rifle, shotgun, and pistol and is a freaking blast. You can be making 10 yrd rifle shots than walk 10 feet and be shooting 150 yrds then drop the rifle and shoot your pistol and shotgun all in the same stage.

Last edited:

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    Sweet thanks for the calander info! I appreciate it lol, I had no idea. As for the minor in limited, you may be right, but I dunno, maybe using a fiber optic sight changes your division or something. We should probably wait until someone who knows what they are talking about clues us in lol.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Yah I looked it up the 9mm puts you in the minor division. Minimum bullet caliber for major is .40 cal/10mm. You can have a fiber optic front site in production. I know this because I watch you tube videos of Spanky tearing it up using a glock 34 with a fiber optic front site. You should go to the USPSA website and download the newest rule book in .pdf format. Look through the appendixes. They even have rules on holsters and stuff.

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    ya i've got it and read it, but it still doesnt make a whole lot of sense, I'm more of the "do" kind of learner. And I knew I was going to be switched into minor, but I'm totally ok with that since I should be a lot more accurate and the score will hopefully even out lol. I'm pretty sure my holster works, the requirements aren't all that bad on a holster. I just wasn't sure on the fiber optic part. what's that youtube feed, if i can ask? I've been watching a few to learn more, but mostly they aren't very helpful since they just show "highlights" and stuff.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    The G17, or any 9mm, in the Limited division will be scored minor, but do not let that stop you. The G17 as you have it now is good to go in the Production division with no scoring disadvantage. The G22 or G35 would have been a better choice, competatively speaking, if you are set on shooting Limited. But anyway, since you are just starting out, I recommend that you do not worry about the scoring and just shoot and have fun. You can spend alot of money playing the equipment race game (I am sure someone will tell you you should have bought a STI to start with), or you can go with what you have, and have fun, and then upgrade if you stick with it.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't subscribe to Spankys Videos just do a search in the competition forum. Only guy I watch on a frequent basis is this guy [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ze9I6viqc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ze9I6viqc[/ame]

He is on this site and shoots at the 3 gun matches. He is pretty bad ass and I usually don't stare at him directly in the eyes. Then again asians have that effect on me. They are extremely quick and can smell fear.

Last edited:

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    I actually got the glock from my brother, so i didnt end up paying for it (whew!), just traded him some stuff that I fully intead to steal back ; ). So i figured it was free and I might as well add some stuff to it that makes it feel better and go faster lol. And I found out very quickly what you mean by the money thing, I priced out everything I wanted and it totaled up to WAY more than I could spend. so I thought I should stick to doing little, cheaper things, and focus on making up any lapses in equipment with enough training and eventually skill. That being said, just going out there running and gunning was probably the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I thought I should stick to doing little, cheaper things, and focus on making up any lapses in equipment with enough training and eventually skill. That being said, just going out there running and gunning was probably the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

I subscribe to the "practice, rather than products" school of thought, although I tend to stray from my own advice from time to time, I believe most folks will benefit from buying ammo rather than $100's in gear and custom guns. Your own advice is good; practice plenty and have fun.

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    Ya, the idea of gear making up for lack of skill is never a good or true thing, no matter what you are doing. But, there is certainly something to be said for having the right tools for the job lol.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    The reason you shot your USPc .40 in Limited was because it was a .40 cal and you were at a disadvantage in production since all scoring is minor. If you are going to be shooting a G17, you'd be better off in Production where everything is scored minor anyway.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    In the near future as the ground drys up, we will be doing carbine/rifle side matches in Amite after the IDPA matches, there will also be some tactical shotgun mixed in, if you search the videos on this site, you will find some old videos from last year, for some true 3 gun matches, go to the calendar and look for Poplarville and Woolmarket matches on the MS Gulfcoast

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    Cool! thank you guys :) especially to spanky for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it guys.
    And, (ground permitting, my farm is a damned swamp too) will Amite be doing the rifle match next month?

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    all depends on ground, our 3gun group is training for a big match in April in KY, so I am sure we would love to schedule a rifle side match after the IDPA match next month, all depends on the condition of range, we will post the info as it get closer, AR's preferred, and no steel core ammo permitted due to steel targets

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    You probably can't do any worse then I did last fall. Last match I attended I came in last but no one gave me a hard time or anything.

Last edited:

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    Lol I actually came in 2nd in the limited 10, but i think there were only 3 of us ;). It really doesn't matter to me what place I get for the near future. I plan on being a real competitor eventually, but Rome wasn't build in a day, and samuri's take a lifetime to train : P. I think it's a lot like golf, just getting out there with a bunch of really fun guys is really the main reason to go.

Top Bottom