What fixins do you put in your crawfish boil?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I went to a crawfish boil last weekend, and noticed that there were pork chops that were thrown into the pot to cook with the crawfish. I had never seen that before, and am curious about what other people put in their pots when they boil besides the standard corn and potatoes.

What else do you put in your pot while boiling?

MRBULLRED

Psalms 27: 1-3
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Garlic, potatoes , corn, onions, hot dogs, sausage, and mushrooms. I've seen other folks put celery and lemons...

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Mushrooms, garlic, and your favorite smoked sausage....YUM!:)
    (It's a given on the ear corn and taters.)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    whole raw mushrooms in a lingerie bag, link sausage, whole garlic cut across the cloves, whole onions and cut lemons. I've also taken canned corn, removed the label and poked holes in the can to drain the liquid, the tossed the can in so as not to burn one's lips during consumption.

when I boiled crabs once, we had also caught a couple sheephead and a small red while crabbing. I cut the filets off skin-on, and after the boil was rolling, I placed the filets skin side down on top of the crabs and covered the pot. it was the best fish I had eaten in a while. it was hard to tell it from lump crabmeat!

Last edited:

Buck8Point

Geaux Tigers
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Plaquemine, LA
    Over the years we have put everything but the kitchen sink in a crawfish boil, and this might sound strange, but some of my favorites are, cans of string beans or artichoke hearts. you just poke a buncha holes in the cans and drop em in the boil... another favorite is drop egg. When you turn off the burner crack a few raw eggs and gently drop the raw egg in the boil water. It almost instantly cooks into all kinda strange shapes, and sucks up dat seasoning... mas dat some good yea.... whoooooo.

Buck8Point

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I did that with catfish once but just let it soak in the hot water after. :drool:

That can corn thing is a great idea.

I can't add much to what hasn't been said except I like sweet potatoes (cut in half long way)

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Good suggestions, keep em coming. I am competing in a little crawfish boiling contest at my buddies bar in a few weeks, one of the categories is best meat. I may try a tenderloin tail, and see how it comes out.

He said one of the competitors boils an entire log of bologna, and it is really good.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have been to boils where they put it all in a mesh bag.. to boil.. I also have been where they throw it all in the pot..

I prefer to have it all in the bag.. leave out the sausage.. makes everything too greasy..

Do ya guys throw ice in, or frozen jugs of ice... to keep from diluting the boil??

Speaking of which.. I am going to one, starting tomorrow night, ending Sunday... 1200 lbs to start :)

number1roadie19

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Marrero, LA
    we hanve done rhubard to sweet potatos, Bologna to Roast cut up in little chunks. The roast is good but is like eating a boiled piece of meat. Its not very tender if you catch my drift. I have always wanted to try doing it with alligator.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would add Oranges or any Citrus, cut into half its not meant to be eaten but my X brother in law claims it helps to peel the crawfish easier and every time he does it seems to work

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Italian sausage.

I bet that is good. We're doing one before long....I'm putting that on the list. :)

Oh- and if you ever have enough potatoes left over (as we sometimes do), they make a really mean-ass potato salad....

Last edited:

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Potatos, garlic, link deer sausage, whole mushrooms, onion, asparagus, hotdogs, lemons this is my standard boil. I do keep frozen 2 ltr bottles of water after cut off heat, wash and refreeze!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Potatos, garlic, link deer sausage, whole mushrooms, onion, asparagus, hotdogs, lemons this is my standard boil. I do keep frozen 2 ltr bottles of water after cut off heat, wash and refreeze!

Good to hear that. Now load up all that stuff and come to the camp this weekend.

Oh- and pick up 3 sacks of crawfish on your way up. :D:rofl:

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    Fresh green beans and carrots. Put 'em in right after you kill the boil and let 'em cook while the crawfish soak. They don't get too mushy that way.

Next boil.. I'm cracking me some eggs.. never seen that one before.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Andouille, lemons, mushrooms, hot dogs, corn, garlic, potatoes. Ice after.

Or at least that's what I used to do..... I'm now allergic to onions of all things :(
    I miss crawfish boils...

Top Bottom