What Gauge Wire?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    So I'm going to make a pig-tail to connect my 5kw/6.2kw Briggs & Stratton generator into my electrical panel. I have a workshop separate from my house that has its own electrical panel, and a 20amp 220v breaker with an outlet connected to it. My home is old, and it has a main fuse that I can pull to disconnect the house from the external grid.

What I'd like to do is to set up a platform under a roof overhang, and use it when I run my generator. I'd like to run a pig-tail from the single 20amp 220v four-prong twist-lock connector on my generator into the shop and plug it into the 20amp 220v 3-prong plug in order to back-feed the house. I'm figuring that should make the majority of my generator's power available to the whole house.

My question is what gauge wire should I get to make this connector?

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I'm not an electrician, so take my advice with a grain of salt. More than likely your line from the panel to the outlet is 12AWG solid wire. I would suggest that your pigtail (if stranded cable) be at least 10 AWG, and 8 AWG would be better. I personally have the same setup but use a pigtail from an old welder that is probably 4 AWG. Your type of connector will limit your wire size. Might I suggest that you use welder or dryer outlets and plugs, as they are generally heavier duty than twist lock and capable of attaching heavier wire.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm not an electrician, so take my advice with a grain of salt. More than likely your line from the panel to the outlet is 12AWG solid wire. I would suggest that your pigtail (if stranded cable) be at least 10 AWG, and 8 AWG would be better. I personally have the same setup but use a pigtail from an old welder that is probably 4 AWG. Your type of connector will limit your wire size. Might I suggest that you use welder or dryer outlets and plugs, as they are generally heavier duty than twist lock and capable of attaching heavier wire.

Thanks. The generator has only one 220v connector, and it's a 20amp twist-lock. On the other end of the pigtail I plan to use a drier-style 3-prong connector. The nice thing about the twist-lock connector is this pigtail's going to have two male connectors on it, and if someone trips over it and unplugs it from the wall there's going to be a live male connector laying on the floor.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Man, go on the interent and go look at the resistances each wire guage can handle. Google "wire gauges". I would bet they even have sites that will tell you exactly how to do it.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    As long as you are not making an extremely long pig tail, 10awg will be sufficient for the 20A circuit. I have a 6.8Kw/9.2Kw JD portable generator with a 30A twist lock that I use a 15' 8awg pigtail to feed into my 50amp welder circuit in my shop to supply power to the house.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Since it is a 20amp 240V circuit, assume you are making a 20 foot pigtail:

From http://www.southwire.com/support/voltage-drop-calculator.htm

1 conductors per phase utilizing a #12 Copper conductor will limit the voltage drop to 0.58% or less when supplying 20.0 amps for 20 feet on a 240 volt system.
    For Engineering Information Only:
    20.0 Amps Rated ampacity of selected conductor
    1.9029 Ohms Resistance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
    0.054 Ohms Reactance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
    7.199999999999999 volts maximum allowable voltage drop at 3%
    1.389. Actual voltage drop loss at 0.58% for the circuit
    0.9 Power Factor

and maximum distance on 12awg:

A maximum distance of 103.677 feet will limit the voltage drop to 3% or less with a #12 Copper conductor delivering 20.0 amps on a 240 volt system.
    For Engineering Information Only:
    20.0 Amps Rated ampacity of selected conductor
    1.9029 Ohms Resistance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
    0.054 Ohms Reactance (Ohms per 1000 feet)
    7.199999999999999 volts maximum allowable voltage drop at 3%
    0.9 Power Factor

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If it's a short run , 10 awg is fine . The plug is only rated for 20 amps , so #8 is a little overkill , unless you get it cheap ( or free ) .
    Hell , #8 might not fit into the terminals of your 20 amp plug . Check before you spend the money .

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Thanks Dan, I didnt think about the #8 not fitting into the terminals on the plug..!
    If it's a short run , 10 awg is fine . The plug is only rated for 20 amps , so #8 is a little overkill , unless you get it cheap ( or free ) .
    Hell , #8 might not fit into the terminals of your 20 amp plug . Check before you spend the money .

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    So I'm going to make a pig-tail to connect my 5kw/6.2kw Briggs & Stratton generator into my electrical panel. I have a workshop separate from my house that has its own electrical panel, and a 20amp 220v breaker with an outlet connected to it. My home is old, and it has a main fuse that I can pull to disconnect the house from the external grid.

What I'd like to do is to set up a platform under a roof overhang, and use it when I run my generator. I'd like to run a pig-tail from the single 20amp 220v four-prong twist-lock connector on my generator into the shop and plug it into the 20amp 220v 3-prong plug in order to back-feed the house. I'm figuring that should make the majority of my generator's power available to the whole house.

My question is what gauge wire should I get to make this connector?

Basicaly what I did, works great...the power co. guys even looked at it after an outage and they didn't run off screaming. I used a 50 A breaker to backfeed buss and I turn off the 200 main to shed the utility.

Remember to turn off your WH and Condensor before you fire up the house on stand by.

Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    For 20A at ~20' #12 AWG wire is all you need. I am an electrical designer and until recently, a licensed electrician.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    With a generator rated at 6KW, you will not be able to run all the circuit in the house, especially the central A/C, if applicable. If I were you, I'd limit the load on the generator to a 120-volt window A/C unit, refrigerator, TV, and a couple of lights. Trying to run too many appliances at once is a recipe for disaster. Please be careful and make sure you have a good earth ground connection. Also, I would advise connecting the pigtail from the generator directly into your electrical service fuse box, below the meter, and make the pigtail as short as possible to minimize overheating. 10 feet or less, if possible.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    With a generator rated at 6KW, you will not be able to run all the circuit in the house, especially the central A/C, if applicable. If I were you, I'd limit the load on the generator to a 120-volt window A/C unit, refrigerator, TV, and a couple of lights. Trying to run too many appliances at once is a recipe for disaster. Please be careful and make sure you have a good earth ground connection. Also, I would advise connecting the pigtail from the generator directly into your electrical service fuse box, below the meter, and make the pigtail as short as possible to minimize overheating. 10 feet or less, if possible.

Yeah I know about the central AC. I've already run a load test for six hours using the 2 6amp fridges and the two 6amp and one 8amp A/C units. I shut down the central AC. That left plenty of power for lights and one computer running on a UPS. The generator is made to take a starting load up to 6.5kw. We've replaced most of the lights in the house with fluorescent bulbs, so they draw almost nothing.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I really wish I could wire it directly into the panel, but I'm not looking to pay some electrician a couple thousand dollars to wire this thing. I'm looking for a solution I can install myself. Every time I pass a glance at a plumber or electrician I get a $1000 bill for it.

Top Bottom