What gets the vote to go

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    Well some of you may and some of you may not do this but for me it is something I plan for quite some time. Especially if I have a new stand or something changes. And the dilemma I’ am referring to is rifle selection. This year the list is a Browning BAR 7mm Rem Mag with a 4.5 X 14 Simmons ATV load is a Nosler 150 grain partition with 66.5 grains if IMR 4831 for my long range work the close in work will be done with a Marlin 336 30 - 30 with a 1.5 X 5 Simmons Pro load is 150 Hornady with 27 grains of Reloader 7 and last the back up will be a Browning BBR in 7mm 08 with a Leupold 3 X 9 load is 145 grain Speer hot core with IMR 4064 pushing it out. The last time any of these has been out has been over 8 years for the BAR, 10 years for the BBR and 15 for the Marlin. Quick run down last year main gun was a Savage 110 E in 7mm Rem Mag load is a 154 grain SP Hornady pushed by IMR 7828 with a 4 X 12 Leupold and back up was a Winchester M70 Classic in 270 Win using a 130 grain Nosler Partition with IMR 4831with a 3.5 X 10 Simmons and no short range gun last year. The lease we 6 members have is 770 acres of clear cut that range from 4 to 5 years old to 10 to 12 years old gas pipe lines and gas well sites its either thick or long and open for a box stand I have a shot out to about 400 yds. But this year I put a ladder stand on a old logging road we bush hogged and have about a good 60 yards with a food plot on it. The planning for next year guns food plots and new stands will be done in the stand this year it something I like to think about and it passes the time waiting for the deer to appear. I would enjoy to here about any planning anyone else does.An what makes the deciding factors.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I, too, got lost somewhere in that jumble....

as for my lease:
    685 acres, 5 members this year
    Hilly terrain, logging roads a plenty

Some fresh logging occurred this year, I have a new box stand on the main loading site that is a plateau on the ridge top, about 1 1/2 acres, planted with a corn feeder near the far side. we also exploited a few deer trails and set up 2 new stands, switched around some etc. This is only our second year having the lease.

as for shot distance available, we've got everything possible from bow range to OMFG a .308 can't reach that far!, but most shots are easily within the 100 yd range with a few possible shots ~200 yds.

There's still some areas of our lease we have yet to penetrate, but if we do like we did last year and concentrate on one area we can break through pretty good on ATVs right after season and see what there is to see.

Top Bottom