What gun belt would you recommend?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    if youre looking to purchase at a brick and mortar shop, go to br police supply and buy the 5.11 operator belt. Essentially the exact same as wilderness, both are fine belts and make a world of difference in carrying comfortably

Last edited:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    My leather belt is from the belt man. Comfortable and has held up well so far. Looks nice too. I also have a reinforced nylon 5.11 that I use. Has taken a ton of abuse and still in good shape. Probably more comfortable than my leather belt.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have made the switch to cobra belts, I find they are not only much cooler looking but also much stiffer to carry the weight, the only down side is getting your gear on them BUT its about the same as getting your gear on any other belt if you are running holsters with loops instead of snaps.

One advantage from cobra belts is the ability to come off from it in a rush, just like a race clip

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Wilderness. Because it's cheap, it always fits just right, and doesn't wear/stretch like my previous leather belts did.

These look pretty reasonable. They have a few models ... Instructor, Easy Fit, Frequent Flyer, and Wilderness Ring. Anyone in particular that you like?

if youre looking to purchase at a brick and mortar shop, go to br police supply and buy the 5.11 operator belt. Essentially the exact same as wilderness, both are fine belts and make a world of difference in carrying comfortably

Good idea, I'll try to drop by to at least take a look.

I have made the switch to cobra belts, I find they are not only much cooler looking but also much stiffer to carry the weight, the only down side is getting your gear on them BUT its about the same as getting your gear on any other belt if you are running holsters with loops instead of snaps.

One advantage from cobra belts is the ability to come off from it in a rush, just like a race clip

These seem pretty nice. But on their website I see this message: "Due to demands, orders can take up to 7 weeks before shipping". I have a couple of friends signed up for the Travis Haley carbine class in 3 weeks that I'm trying to equip so 7 weeks won't cut it. :(

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Holla at Jones Tactical or John Willis with OSOE, eventhough their website says long turn around time they usually keep things in stock and I have NEVER waited more than two weeks to get stuff from them.

In fact I know they are both still open today working and sewing gear.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I picked up a 5.11 dress belt off ebay, I think it was discontinued, for $25ish. Great belt so far. Only thing is that the 'finish' or whatever on the material seems to rub away in some areas.

Makes me not want to use my other regular belts ever again.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I like the EDB myself but its stiffer than the shooters belt which some people dont quite like , so it would be a personal choice

Either way hard to go wrong with any of the two and IIRC he is the only one in the industry who offers one in 1.5" everybody else has them in 1 3/4" which SUCKS if all your gear is already running 1.5 loops

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    j - I use the Instructor belt. The steel buckle is a little heavy, but I still like the idea of it over the plastic one (Flyer). I bought this one to try before investing in the fancy titanium one, but it doesn't seem to be wearing out so I don't imagine that'll happen any time soon.

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Do you want a casual or "tactical" belt?

I'm leaning towards "tactical"... only because you can make more precise adjustments instead of using the closest hole in the belt. I also rarely tuck in my shirt, so the general public won't see the belt.

I took a trip over to BRPS and my brother picked up the 5.11 belt there. Seems like a pretty good belt for 40$. They make some really nice casual ones too.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the cobra because of the "quick" release. It's a nice feature to have during lunch/breaks in classes, and bathroom, etc...

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    One I make....

I'm leaning towards "tactical"... only because you can make more precise adjustments instead of using the closest hole in the belt. I also rarely tuck in my shirt, so the general public won't see the belt.

I took a trip over to BRPS and my brother picked up the 5.11 belt there. Seems like a pretty good belt for 40$. They make some really nice casual ones too.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the cobra because of the "quick" release. It's a nice feature to have during lunch/breaks in classes, and bathroom, etc...

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...f-Belts-I-made-for-Christmas-Gifts&highlight=

I was going to put some up for sale, but my machine is down. One little part only available from two places on the planet kinda sucks when it takes out your machine, but at least the warranty is Dillon like, and no questions asked, only problem I can't sew until it gets here Monday.

I have changed my belts up a little since I sewed these. I am now using 6 stitches per inch to get a better back side stitch and the front stitch still looks not so gunbeltish.

I need by some dang nylon webbing. It would be a whole lot cheaper and faster to make a wilderness style belt than to make a leather belt, but I bet not as fun.

Top Bottom