What guns do you bring to the range ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunshow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Westwego
    I think I done buying collectable guns now looking to buy guns that is fun to shoot at the range. Can you give me your top five list of guns that are fun to shoot at the range

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    There are rimfire days and centerfire days, with the occasional shotgun excursion.

Rimfire. Everybody comes out of the safe to play. Usually the most fun trips.
    Centerfire. My current go to include Sig 938 & 229, Bushmaster Predator and soon to be completed DD .300blk with the occasional Garand, 1911, lever gun, S&W500 sprinkled in.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    A range trip usually centers around one or more of the following.

Garand
    M1A
    K98
    Some flavor of AR or AK
    FAL
    1876 Winchester
    M1 Carbine

With a few rimfires and handguns thrown in.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    AR
    M1a
    Garand
    K98 and/or M91 Mosin Nagant
    Remington 550-1

Will usually bring my Ruger Mk II and CZ SP-01 along if I have time for pistols. Its rare that I carry all of that at the same time though--thats a lot of iron to haul around with ammo. Usually 2 or 3 long guns and 2 pistols

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Five is too limiting:
    1911/Semi-auto pistol day at the range
    AR day at the range
    Lever action day at the range
    Single action revolver day at the range
    22 day at the range
    Begin anew and sneak some shotguns in as betweeners.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There are rimfire days and centerfire days, with the occasional shotgun excursion.

+1

Any time I'm firing a handgun, it's a carry gun, and it's practice. Shotgun and Rimfire days are for fun, unless I'm defending my home against clay pigeons or steel squirrels :rofl:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I just finished an AR build that will probably go on every rifle range trip. The big dogs are nice. I prefer my Garand over the bolt action rifles. The S&W 500 goes on every outing where more than paper can be shot. The most fun for me is fast operating, low recoil centerfires. A 30 carbine, and a VZ-2008 (Century version of the Czech VZ-58) are at the top of the rifle list and pistols in 32ACP (Czech VZ 50/Walther PP). I always bring and shoot carry guns.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    "The S&W 500 goes on every outing where more than paper can be shot."

Sure is fun to shoot a 2 1/2 gallon jug full of water with those beasts!!!

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Every gun I own has a purpose and always in use. My carry guns (642, G26&19) are the only handguns I own, carry and shoot. The long guns I own and shoot are the Marlin 60 and the Mossberg 500 with both long and short barrels.

I've recently liquidated every firearm I owned, except for the above mentioned and my wife's Bersa 380, in lieu of buying a house. I own doubles of what I have now but these are the guns I trust and use often. I don't have collectibles or range toys. My guns are fun to shoot and serve a purpose. That is it.

Last edited:

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I go to the range with specific goals of things I want to work on. Such as sighting in a rifle, or working on learning to shoot my bolt actions better, to drills with the AR, or just general marksmanship with my pistol...just depends.

but I generally bring:

Glock 17
    AR15
    Savage in 308
    Ruger 10/22
    Ruger Mk 3

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    You have to ask yourself why am I going to the range? It should be to practice, check out a load, sight in a new rifle, or bring a new shooter into the system. Too many people I see at the range go there to make noise. Many can't hit what they aim at, and too many have no idea what they are doing. No one is born with the ability to be a great shooter it's not in the human DNA.

So when I go to the range it is to test a new load, sight in a new rifle and to practice with something I can't shoot at my home range. I bring at most 2 rifles, my pistol is always with me, and have a real plan for why I'm going there.

Top Bottom