What guns should a beginner C&R collector have?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Of course, just like everyone warned, I buy my first 91/30 and now I have to have every WWII era rifle. I blame this obsession on everyone here, thanks. :D

What are some cheaper of the WWI & WWII era rifles (or pistols) to be had? I'm trying to stay in the <$250 range for now. (Although I'm saving every penny I find on the street for a Garand) I'm getting a collection started and I'm hoping to pick up the cheaper & more easily found guns first.

So far I have acquired a 91/30 and a Steyr M95.

Currently on my list are the K31, Mosin Nagant M44, and the Enfield.

I do not need a perfect example of each as I would like to shoot them occasionally & show them off to friends. They will not be safe queens but they will be well maintained. In fact if it has some dents & dings I think it adds to the character of the rifle.

Let's hear the suggestions guys!

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Money will get ya. When you get into the US rifles the best prices seem to come from CMP. I know my dad and I have purchased a lot of M-1 carbines and even a garand from them for way cheaper than they retail.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Enfield No4, Type 99 or Type 38 Arisaka, Carcano, MAS-36. If you shop around, keep ears to the ground, go to collectors forums all can be found under $250 if you're willing to work. I think Allans Armory is selling some Enfield No4's for around $250. But his stuff sells pretty quick. Typically nothing American or German can be had for under $250 if you want quality.

Dave

dbolemiss

Rebel Fan
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    New Iberia,LA
    Anybody seen a price on a RC K98 unpeened? I've been sitting on one for a while now and was woundering if the price has moved any on these,I know I dont see them as often.Mine has the eagle with the swastika on it in a few spots.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    An RC 98k mixmaster with unmaked waffen chickens was about $315 depending on bore condition. The bore really makes or breaks those rifles since they're total mix masters. Some people have begun "collecting" the RC's as separate rifles in their own right. I don't agree since that version was never used except to hold a place on an arsenal's shelf some where.

Dave

flammatrix I just scored my first Arisaka Type 99 Nagoya 1st series with intact mum all matching parts except the stock and that's being taken care of now.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    Carcano 6.5

carc735.jpg

Last edited:

Jughead

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Well, if you are going to collect WWI and WWII rifles and pistols and only have your first and want to stay under $250 you have an almost impossible task ahead considering the number of countries involved, the number of different weapons, with few if any going for less than $250. I would suggest you select one country and one type weapon(pistol or rifle) and try for a nice set of variation representative examples. This will focus your interest and search and limit the number of reference book(s) you will need. In addition you will get a lot of satisfaction
    DSC03951.jpg
    from being somewhat knowledgeable or maybe even expert in a particular area. It will likely move you into other related weapons as you gain knowledge in your focus area. Good luck.

Sputnik

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Cody,
    Mil-surp prices swing with availability. What is easy/cheap to find today(nagant), suddenly becomes rare and expensive tomorrow. The reverse is also true. Some weapons seem to hold their value(Garand). Some weapons that are relatively rare(M95), can still be cheap. Do your research!!! Buy quality. Buy the weapon, not the story. I've heard some real winners. Do your research!!!

Top Bottom