What I think of the S&W40SVE I bought for $300.00 "Real World"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Before buying any gun I do a little reasearch on that particular weapon. When I saw a S&W selling for $300, it peeked my interest. My reasearch led me to many pros and cons about this weapon. One in particular was the long trigger pull. This is indeed still a problem on this gun (even though the S&W rep said it was fixed from earlier versions). I hate to think how bad it used to be.

At the range I fired it against Glocks & Sigs. Though the accuracy is ok when you get used to the trigger, you have to get used to the trigger.

Next to my Sig P229, it took an eternity to pull that trigger. Glock came in right after the Sig on pull/discharge time.

Although it is not expensive it at least seems to be well made in the S&W tradition, but it is slightly lessor workmanship than other S&W's I have.

Everything else about this gun seemed ok to me, no problems firing, ejecting, etc.

If you need an inexpensive quality gun, this is not bad, but it won't be one of my first picks out of the gun safe on the way to the range.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Despite it's pitfalls,the Sigma series will do the job. Don't put it up against Glocks,XDs or M&Ps but it will get you out of a jam if need be. You can be fairly accurate with it as long as you don't complain much about the long,creepy trigger. In a fire fight,when your life is at stake and that's all you have,you'll do fine as long you do it smart,and I don't have to elaborate as to what that means. It's a tool,like a hammer. Wether your swinging a Walmart special hammer or a nice balanced Eastwing hammer,they both will do the job. One is just going to be alot more comfortable and efficient than the other.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    A Sigma 9mm was the first handgun I bought... It was also the first I sold. I swear my aim with a handgun is still screwy from learning to shoot on that damn thing :mad:

That said, everyone else here is right- it does serve its purpose. For someone who doesn't have a lot of money, it's better to have a $300 Sigma than nothing.

tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    I'm with olivs260, first gun I bought; first gun I sold. I'm also with the camp that agrees they're a solid handgun that gets the job done. If you need an extra go-to gun, this will fit the bill. I had one of the earlier triggers, though and... Well... If they've improved on them at ALL, consider yourself blessed.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I'm with olivs260, first gun I bought; first gun I sold. I'm also with the camp that agrees they're a solid handgun that gets the job done. If you need an extra go-to gun, this will fit the bill. I had one of the earlier triggers, though and... Well... If they've improved on them at ALL, consider yourself blessed.

Yeah, the trigger was garbage. I would have kept it, but three different gunsmiths told me there was nothing they could do to improve the weight or travel distance. The actual ergonomics of the gun were fantastic for the price.

Mexi_Can116

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    I had a .40 and I've got nothing truly negative to say about it except I couldn't hit a bus at 10th feet with and I thought I was just terrible shot until I bought my fist hk then I found out I am almost a marksman;)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The Sigmas serve a purpose. It's not a fine peice of machinery, but it's not a Hi point either.

Best summation I've heard to date on this subject.

If you're on a supremely fixed budget and can't find a good deal on a used firearm, it's about your only option. (I'd save a bit more and get a Ruger of some kind, personally.) If you're looking for something to toss in a boat or truck or something of that nature, it's a prime candidate as well. If you run into one at a great price, there's certainly no harm in picking it up-- provided you're not costing yourself another deal that's just around the corner.

I'm sure a professional shooter could put up impressive groups with it, given enough trigger time. There's nothing inherently inaccurate about the design, until you add the human element of trigger press. I also don't think it's much of a problem for your (typical) inexperienced shooter, either. A "shotgun grouping" is a "shotgun grouping", regardless of what pistol it's fired from...

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have had 4 of the sigma 40s, from very new to very old. Trigger was the same on all.

I did everything I could to make the triger better. Alot of polishing and some spring mods make it better, but the long travel (not a huge concern) and the long reset ( the part I could not stand) cannot be fixed unless the entire trigger action is redesigned.

I picked most of them up for around 200 bucks used. For that price I cannot complain. If I was going to spend 300bucks I would prefer a ruger, or a well used glock. While the sigma may be a glock knock off, it does not use as good material or finishes, and the crap trigger puts the last nail in the coffin for me. Still alot better than a hi point, all of mine functioned perfectly as far as going bang and reloading everytime. Conisdering you would spend another 100 bucks to get a nice used glock, I really cannot see buying a sigma for 300 bucks.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I also don't think it's much of a problem for your (typical) inexperienced shooter, either. A "shotgun grouping" is a "shotgun grouping", regardless of what pistol it's fired from...

I don't think you're giving shotguns enough credit.... The groups I see at the range make shotgun patterns look damn tight.

Top Bottom