What is the legal situation here (video)?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This was posted in the Off Topic section, and it made me very curious about the legal situation here. Synopsis: home owner's security camera records three armed would be intruders outside a glass door, barking dogs inside the house keep them from entering. Nobody is in the home.

Here's the video:

http://www.wwltv.com/video?id=134623348&sec=554827

Say, hypothetically, the home owner had been inside the house. Barking dogs alert him. He grabs a weapon and goes to investigate. Enters room and sees clearly armed guys outside his glass door. Would he be in a self defense situation at this point? Would he be justified in opening fire?

I just don't know the answer, maybe some of you folks knowledgeable in the law could comment on this.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    RS 14:20

§20. Justifiable homicide

A. A homicide is justifiable:

(1) When committed in self-defense by one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger.

(2) When committed for the purpose of preventing a violent or forcible felony involving danger to life or of great bodily harm by one who reasonably believes that such an offense is about to be committed and that such action is necessary for its prevention. The circumstances must be sufficient to excite the fear of a reasonable person that there would be serious danger to his own life or person if he attempted to prevent the felony without the killing.

(3) When committed against a person whom one reasonably believes to be likely to use any unlawful force against a person present in a dwelling or a place of business, or when committed against a person whom one reasonably believes is attempting to use any unlawful force against a person present in a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), while committing or attempting to commit a burglary or robbery of such dwelling, business, or motor vehicle.

(4)(a) When committed by a person lawfully inside a dwelling, a place of business, or a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, or who has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, and the person committing the homicide reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or to compel the intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle.

(b) The provisions of this Paragraph shall not apply when the person committing the homicide is engaged, at the time of the homicide, in the acquisition of, the distribution of, or possession of, with intent to distribute a controlled dangerous substance in violation of the provisions of the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances Law.

B. For the purposes of this Section, there shall be a presumption that a person lawfully inside a dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle held a reasonable belief that the use of deadly force was necessary to prevent unlawful entry thereto, or to compel an unlawful intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle, if both of the following occur:

(1) The person against whom deadly force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcibly entering or had unlawfully and forcibly entered the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle.

(2) The person who used deadly force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry was occurring or had occurred.
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78338

:)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If they were inside, it's justified. If the homeowner was outside, it's justified. I don't see why a 1/4" piece of glass would make a difference. A threat is a threat, and a glass door is shitty cover.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    (4)(a) When committed by a person lawfully inside a dwelling, a place of business, or a motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1(40), against a person who is attempting to make an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, or who has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, place of business, or motor vehicle, and the person committing the homicide reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry or to compel the intruder to leave the premises or motor vehicle.

Seems pretty clear to me.

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    What if the good guy shot the bad guys and the BG's only had water guns?

IMHO if the BG's are carrying water guns in such a way that they could be perceived as lethal weapons, sucks to be them. I would... and to paraphrase some of the law here.... reasonably believe that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the entry and compel them to kick rocks down the road, as was previously mentioned, a glass door makes for shitty cover and if you try to come into my home even with water guns, shame on you, in a high stress situation, a water gun can easily be mistaken for a lethal weapon, and if someone is going to try to break in a house, in south Louisiana, using water guns as intimidation well some people just need to be taken out of the gene pool, just my .02

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What if the good guy shot the bad guys and the BG's only had water guns?

If they were presenting them as deadly weapons, doesn't change anything. Police have been justified in shooting perps pointing cell phones, water sprayers, etc at them.

Which in this case is actually irrelevant, since it doesn't matter if the intruders have ANY weapon at all.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    ".......one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger......."

Seems to be the operative phrase.
    A credible threat of harm is assault.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Step out and let them see the muzzle of your 74 and if they start to do anything but flee do a bumpfiredump........Just kiddidng Id call 911 and hope the dogs were enough to keep them out.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    ".......one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger......."

Seems to be the operative phrase.
    A credible threat of harm is assault.

yesir..thats always the bottom line, and is it reasonable to others, IMO CHP classes could just teach this and leave all the legal hoo hah lie.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Once the perp pointed his weapon at the dog, I thought he was going to shoot it. Homeowner shouldn't have to wait until perp acutally fires into home, should he ?

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Which in this case is actually irrelevant, since it doesn't matter if the intruders have ANY weapon at all.

Really? You would be justified shooting unarmed guys looking through your glass door? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just wanting to understand/learn.

As far as "intruders", were they? They didn't break it.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Legal? Yes, according to RS 14:20. Smart on the side of the would-be assailants, especially in Louisiana? Heck naw.
    Doesn't castle doctrine cover this as well?

1911defender

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Let's first define "legal" vs "practical."

In this case, a District Attorney might want the homeowner to prove intent if the homeowner engages the BGs from cover, without a declared verbal warning, since the BGs were just standing around the door looking in. I didn't see the BGs rattle the doorknob, smash glass, etc. All are actions that would display intent. So... if you were to engage from cover, it's wise to shout something like..."I'm inside this home and I'm armed. I WILL shoot you unless you leave NOW!" This covers you from the "legal" and "practical" standpoint. Without the warning, firing from cover complicates your situation.

Now, lets take this a step further. If, as you say, you arm yourself and appear at the door, and the BGs don't flee, you can reasonabaly assume they intend to engage in combat and you have the right to protect yourself. With or Without the verbal...fire away.

However, keep in mind that a left leaning, bleeding heart DA can cause you all sorts of legal grief whatever the situation. So...choose your words carefully when dealing with the investigating officers. Also remember the old addage...."Dead men tell no tales"

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    However, keep in mind that a left leaning, bleeding heart DA can cause you all sorts of legal grief whatever the situation. So...choose your words carefully when dealing with the investigating officers. Also remember the old addage...."Dead men tell no tales"

Yes, your carefully chosen words should be this exact quote. "I am eager to cooperate with your investigation with advice of my Counsel."
    Any lawyer, including 1st year law students (even including the DA, if he were to speak honestly) will tell you. Do not speak to the police without representation. They have practice with these situations; you DON'T.

Top Bottom