What is this on the back of a semi tractor trailer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    TSIA. See pic below. Seems to me it's something to do with the aerodynamics. There was a similar piece of material along the left side under the trailer and presumably on the right side as well. Thanks.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Those along with the sheet metal under the trailer from the landing gear to in front of the trailer axles is for fuel mileage. Some companies are reporting as much as a 10% increase in fuel mileage with both devices.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Those along with the sheet metal under the trailer from the landing gear to in front of the trailer axles is for fuel mileage. Some companies are reporting as much as a 10% increase in fuel mileage with both devices.
    I was about to comment about it being sad when someone is willing to spend like $1,500 to save $100 per year on gas, but... wow.

That's one helluva good ROI, if they get 10%. I was just noticing on my trip to/from Missouri last week that I was seeing a lot more sheet metal contraptions on trucks than normal.

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    Being a trucker I get to see alot of these. Some trucks have the wind skirts on the sides and the "deflector" on the back. I've even seen some trucks with a hubcap like cover to make the wheels as smooth as possible. Some companies are even going about making the undercarriage of the trailer as smooth as possilbe. I read an article once where NASA was helping to research in wind tunnels the best way to make a truck and trailer more aerodynamic. Its crazy to think how much fuel is being consumed by big trucks. My tractor is a 2010 International with a ten speed manumatic and I tow a 32 ft trailer with on average about 12,000 lbs and I only get about 7.5-8.0 on average. Every little bit helps and you can belive Wal-Mart is behind alot of this research.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom