What is your next training class?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    DO they have any classes on being shot from 368 yards with a 338 win mag
    to the forehead? They may need to start a class on that,cause I sure wouldn't
    do it any other way......

In other words,training doesn't mean a hill of beans if you don't have other things,
    such as instinct,,mobility,able to adapt,good eyesight,hearing,understanding of
    surroundings,people,etc...

Most of the folks Ive seen at classes couldn't outrun a turtle,so in a real life
    situation,I just don't see them winning:(

Last edited:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

In other words,training does mean a hill of beans if you don't have other things,

Most of the folks Ive seen at classes couldn't outrun a turtle,so in a real life

There are precision rifle courses and there are courses on understanding how people act.

Phobos has taught precision rifle and William April has a good course on people and surroundings.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

In other words,training doesn't mean a hill of beans if you don't have other things,

Hitting a moving target at 368 yards in a 3x3 inch square is going to be tough. I don't think there are too many shooters in the world capable of doing that.

We must not be in the same classes. Almost all of the guys in the classes I have been to have been in pretty decent to amazing shape. Just saying.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Hitting a moving target at 368 yards in a 3x3 inch square is going to be tough. I don't think there are too many shooters in the world capable of doing that.

Come on austin,you've never seen a steven seagal movie lolol

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Remember though that Steven Seagal has that "be the bullet. You have to BE the bullet.." thing going on for him though. 357mag foo. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

Training is about being better than you were yesterday. And I've met some 'turtles' as you put it that are very accurate. There's something to be said for manning fixed defenses and protecting the homestead. Not everyone is an Army Ranger, Navy Seal, Scout, or Force Recon... but all have worth...

I want to do a pistol class. I have to wait a bit... I screwed up my trigger finger (chopped through the nail actually) and it has everything on hold for a few more weeks.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Training is about being better than you were yesterday. And I've met some 'turtles' as you put it that are very accurate. There's something to be said for manning fixed defenses and protecting the homestead. Not everyone is an Army Ranger, Navy Seal, Scout, or Force Recon... but all have worth...

I want to do a pistol class. I have to wait a bit... I screwed up my trigger finger (chopped through the nail actually) and it has everything on hold for a few more weeks.

Perfect example.Your finger is messed up in say a brawl,now you cant shoot nothing because you didnt
    train to shoot with both hands,,behind the back,,with a mirror...They did it on top shot,,

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I renewed my CCW back in October if that counts.

I took the Advantage Group Gunfighter 1 class about 4 or 5 years ago and have thought about taking it again. I only go shooting 3 or 4 times a year so I am sure it would be a good refresher/start over. I am currently in a training class at work that lasts until the end of July so any other classes would have to be after that. Probably into fall when you think of our weather in the July Aug Sept timeframe.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Perfect example.Your finger is messed up in say a brawl,now you cant shoot nothing because you didnt
    train to shoot with both hands,,behind the back,,with a mirror...They did it on top shot,,

I can shoot, but it hurts. I'm not spending time, money, and ammo on a sucky day... And I have shot off handed before. I can practice that on my own time.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I renewed my CCW back in October if that counts.

I took the Advantage Group Gunfighter 1 class about 4 or 5 years ago and have thought about taking it again. I only go shooting 3 or 4 times a year so I am sure it would be a good refresher/start over. I am currently in a training class at work that lasts until the end of July so any other classes would have to be after that. Probably into fall when you think of our weather in the July Aug Sept timeframe.

You should take GF1 and GF2. They are typically on a Saturday and Sunday...and you get a discount from taking both as far as I know.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    For those that have yet to take a class this year, you missed out on two excellent days of training with VATA this past weekend. Shooting in a downpour really makes you focus on fundamentals.

Multiple humble pies were served all weekend.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    For those that have yet to take a class this year, you missed out on two excellent days of training with VATA this past weekend. Shooting in a downpour really makes you focus on fundamentals.

Multiple humble pies were served all weekend.
    100% agree. Will definitely be attending more classes with them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    I've got a CQB Instructors Course coming up with Dan Brokos I'm really looking forward to. Mike Green is coming down again this year so I'm jumping on that. Hopefully another Shivworks class this year too.

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    Well I guess we'll do this like the OP.

I have Vata Pistol Tune-up Scheduled in August.

Also, trying to make the Intro Carbine and Carbine I in October. This will more then likely round out 2018 for me.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    Well I guess we'll do this like the OP.

I have Vata Pistol Tune-up Scheduled in August.

Also, trying to make the Intro Carbine and Carbine I in October. This will more then likely round out 2018 for me.

I'll most likely see you in August.

I'm planning to take Tac Pistol 1 again from concealment.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I've been looking at the VATA tactical pistol courses, does anyone here have experience with them?

BDill and I both do, as well as many others. We shot with them in a thunderstorm recently :rofl:

40770411111_febc0b6cec_b.jpg

Top Bottom