What kind of

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsmoree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Mississippi
    setup do you all recomend for concealed carry? I am 5'11" tall and weigh about 220 lbs. I am an outdorsman and live in rural mississippi, so I want something that can be used for protection,snakes,etc. I have a ruger LCP 380. I also have a S&W M&P 9MM. What would be the best all around set up for me? The M&P is actually the wifes. LOL:D

Thanks ,Scottie

rsmoree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Mississippi
    Well since no one has chimed in, what do you think about a Ruger SP101 in 357 mag ? I think it is a 5 shot and I could shoot 38 rat shot for snakes etc. Verses a compact 9mm.

Scottie

rob52

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Well, I'm not much into killing snakes, for the most part they just don't really bother me, but if and when I do I use whatever gun I happen to have at the time. Since I carry for self protection instead it's usually my 40.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    Nothing wrong with the SP101. I have one myself and would recommend it to anyone. It’s a good, strong revolver that will do anything you need and last longer than you

For me, it’s a little heavy for CC so I use a light weight S&W snub nose
    If you’re going to be shooting it a lot, the SP101 would be the much better choice

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Use the right tool for the job. You wouldn't chop a tree down with a hammer.

Find an adequate handgun ( revolver or auto ) and become proficient with it. This will be your choice for concealment. Then find a trail gun, preferably something you are willing to expose to the elements and have the ability to shoot shot shells out of. A judge would suit your needs just fine. Carry both when in the trails and your CC piece when out and about.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Xdm compact 40, its a great gun really accurate holds plenty of ammo no annoying safety just a grip and trigger safety that would be damn near impossible for it just to go off, loaded chamber indicator, reasonably priced. Great overall gun, easy to break down and clean! Which is a must for a edc.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    setup do you all recomend for concealed carry? I am 5'11" tall and weigh about 220 lbs. I am an outdorsman and live in rural mississippi, so I want something that can be used for protection,snakes,etc. I have a ruger LCP 380. I also have a S&W M&P 9MM. What would be the best all around set up for me? The M&P is actually the wifes. LOL:D

Thanks ,Scottie

1. No offense, but at this juncture your wife has shown remarkably better judgment than you (M&P vs. LCP) :D

2. The "Judge" that was recommended would probably be a decent weapon for snakes --- and perfectly lousy for hogs or feral dogs. You can always run from a snake.

3. The simple, logical choice is another M&P. Because (a) it's a very reliable weapon and (b) you'll have two "go to" guns that both of you can (hopefully) shoot under stress and/or under stringent time constraints. Both of you will (hopefully) be intimately familiar with the manual of arms --- so no fumbling around or checking to see which gun you picked up. With practice and enough repetitions, it'll (hopefully) be instinctive.

4. Or sell the M&P (and of course dump the LCP) and get two SP101's ........ or two Glocks. But pick a reliable make of gun and maintain a high level of consistency in your weapons platform.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Use the right tool for the job. You wouldn't chop a tree down with a hammer..

1. No offense, but at this juncture your wife has shown remarkably better judgment than you (M&P vs. LCP) :D

2. The "Judge" that was recommended would probably be a decent weapon for snakes --- and perfectly lousy for hogs or feral dogs. You can always run from a snake.

3. The simple, logical choice is another M&P. Because (a) it's a very reliable weapon and (b) you'll have two "go to" guns that both of you can (hopefully) shoot under stress and/or under stringent time constraints. Both of you will (hopefully) be intimately familiar with the manual of arms --- so no fumbling around or checking to see which gun you picked up. With practice and enough repetitions, it'll (hopefully) be instinctive.

4. Or sell the M&P (and of course dump the LCP) and get two SP101's ........ or two Glocks. But pick a reliable make of gun and maintain a high level of consistency in your weapons platform.

BINGOoooooooooooooooooo

I wouldnt go for the SP101's though, but thats a personal preference, the M&P sounds more logical and its MY weapon of choice, KUDOS to your wife for picking a good defensive weapon, provide her with LOTS of ammo so she becomes comfortable with it and is able to manipulate it with her eyes closed.

I would keep the LCP as a backup in the pocket but not as a primary .......

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    LCP in desantis nemisis. Carrys easy in whatever you decide to wear in public. The gun you have with you is infinitely better than the one that was too big or bulky or uncomfortable to carry and got left in the truck.

Whatever you carry, practice with it and become proficient with it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^ +100000

A 1911 is certainly better protection, but a 1911 at home or in the car does not beat a .380 or even a .22 in your pocket.

Take a look at k&d holsters.

rsmoree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Mississippi
    Thanks guy's for the input. My wife has alway's had good taste in guns and men. LOL .My friend tells me I am looking for the perfect all around gun that don't exist. I just want my money to count when I buy my next pistol. The LCP is my primary carry now due to it is really all I have other than 2 - 22's and a old bulky Ruger security six 357.The M&P is the best feeling gun I have ever put in my hand. I am just worried that it will be uncomftorble to carry daily in tight jeans. The LCP concerns me due to rusting if I sweat,even when cleaning daily and the fact it is a 380.

Scottie

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    .The M&P is the best feeling gun I have ever put in my hand. I am just worried that it will be uncomftorble to carry daily in tight jeans. The LCP concerns me due to rusting if I sweat,even when cleaning daily and the fact it is a 380.

Scottie

1. It's probably just an internet rumor, but I was told that you can buy holsters for the M&P pistols.

2. Yes, you're correct to be concerned about carrying a .380 as a primary weapon -- despite what some well-intentioned (but uninformed) people will tell you.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    What kind of holster do you recomend for the M&P?

Scottie

As was noted, leather vs. kydex is your first "decision." I don't use leather, so I can't help you there.

If you are considering kydex holsters, Comp-Tac is always a good starting place. (www.comp-tac.com) Wide selection of styles, and their reputation is outstanding.

There are plenty of other kydex holster manufacturers, and I'm sure some of them are excellent. I'm just not familiar with many -- after I began carrying in a Comp-Tac, I quit looking at holsters.

I will say that despite what you see on internet forums (and you'll probably see some squirrelly dissenting opinions as a result of this comment) you need to avoid Fobus holsters. And you need to avoid retention holsters (for CCW), especially the Blackhawk "Serpa."

If you are on a tight budget, Blade Tech makes a somewhat decent kydex carry holster, as does Uncle Mike. Neither conceals as well as the Comp-Tac.

SendITDownRange

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    My Town
    I carry a g30 full size it's a little bulky for me and you and I are roughly the same size. I am about 10lbs lighter. I am getting a G19 soon and will carry that. The g30 and 19 are about the same size length wise in the grip but the 19 is thinner higher capacity and fells like it weighs half of what the 30 weighs. It's all about comfort and location of shot placement that counts anyways. So find something that is comfortable for you to carry and feels good in your hand and the get good with your tool. We can all offer an opinion on what tool to use and some may be better than others but what matters most is what your comfortable with in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    The M&P 9mm is an excellent choice for defensive carry, I don't know if you said it was full sized or not, just get it in a size you are comfortable carrying. IMHO, the LCP is better than no gun, but that is about as far as it goes. I would choose something with more bang and more BB's. Can't help you in the snake department, I've always seen that as an avoidance issue or shovel work, but I think you will be challenged to find a gun that can excel in both roles.

Top Bottom