What loads for NRA High Power?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    My grandson and I are hoping to shoot the High Power matches at East Ascension and Palo Alto next month.
    Years ago were were shooting 77 grain SMK. We have a limited supply of the 77s but have a decent supply of 55 grain FMJs. I'm thinking these would be fine for the 200 EAP shoot. Would 55 grain be unworkable for 600 yards?

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    55's will shoot 600 no problem. They will likely not be very consistent depending on the weather. G1 BC .224 vs .372 for 53 compared to 77gr matchking's. You will be shooting from an extreme handicap for sure, and if the wind is not consistent, your shot groups will suffer more than others using high bc bullets. Also there is the issue of load development, and can you get the oal your rifle likes? If you have been shooting 77 vs 55. there is quite the difference between the two. Best way to see is to load up some rounds, and see if they perform.

Depending on how your rifle likes them at 200 you should be able to work up a load that groups fine. 200 and 600+ are totally different creatures.

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    55's will shoot 600 no problem. They will likely not be very consistent depending on the weather. G1 BC .224 vs .372 for 53 compared to 77gr matchking's. You will be shooting from an extreme handicap for sure, and if the wind is not consistent, your shot groups will suffer more than others using high bc bullets. Also there is the issue of load development, and can you get the oal your rifle likes? If you have been shooting 77 vs 55. there is quite the difference between the two. Best way to see is to load up some rounds, and see if they perform.

Depending on how your rifle likes them at 200 you should be able to work up a load that groups fine. 200 and 600+ are totally different creatures.

I’ll work on the on the load and see how it goes. I’ll also start looking for more 77s.
    Thank you.

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    I found SMK 77s in stock at a few places. Got more on the way. I'll definitely try and make the 55s work at 200 but if they don't, I should be good for a while with 77s. At least we have enough to get a good start.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    55gr will work great at Gonzalez. I would recommend saving the 77gr for 300-600 at palo alto. Good for you getting back out and getting the kids involved. Grandson may qualify for the Louisiana Shooting Association Jr. program. They have guns equipment and ammo for kids to shoot these matches. All you need to do is join LSA for 5$. Contact the match director for more details.

For the rest of you reading, please consider joining the LSA at https://louisianashooting.com/ to help support the kids and keep your rights safe in Louisiana.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom