What makes a dish Cajun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Since there is a dearth of really good food up here in the BlueGrass, I was thinking of crawfish etouffee.

My mind took it and ran with it and I ended up wondering if it is considered a Cajun dish, Creole, or something else?

When I think of Cajun, I think of Mama taking a little bit of meat and making it go a long way. Etouffe wouldn't fit here.

So, all you out there, what makes a Cajun dish Cajun?

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    Tom, your question has merit. The only word that comes to my mind is Heritage. Cajun, is the style of cooking named for the French-speaking Acadian or "Cajun" immigrants deported by the British from Acadia in Canada to the Acadiana region of South Louisiana. It is what could be called a spicy rustic cuisine; locally available ingredients predominate and preparation is simple. An authentic Cajun meal is usually a three-pot affair, with one pot dedicated to the main dish, one dedicated to steamed rice, special made smoked sausages, or some seafood dish with flavor.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Onion, peppers, celery, protein of choice along with roux garlic, butter, salt and red pepper, some form of tomato will get you off to a good start.

Similarly with most Mexican food your protein of choice, onions, peppers, tomatoes, cheese and tortillas with a side of rice and beans will describe 90% of the menus you will come across.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    The Cook/Chef lol

Especially if he or she is a true Cajun

akhsrtrq9cko6h62d949.jpg

i_10928_1_letter_0.jpg
    [/url] imag[/IMG]

Last edited:

pawpaw131

Old School
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Lafourche
    Momma said, "What makes a dish Cajun, is seasoning, not heat as some Cajun imitators do. It's onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, parsley, et al, all slow cooked with love. You can't rush it. Need a roux? Again, slow. You can use one of the ready made, but it "ain't" the same.

petingrass

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 20, 2013
    New Orleans area
    In addition to the above, its thrifty. Nothing wasted wherever possible. I suppose it many cooking traditions share the same characteristic, but that part of it does seem to jump out.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree with most everything I've seen above.

Coming from a really rich Italian and German heritage, I was very excited to learn the Cajun heritage and cooking when I moved here. The trinity (celery, onion, bell pepper) and using roux in everything, and the specific spice blends scream Cajun to me. I also agree with the use of tomato in Creole style food. My family is all based out of Jennings/Duson and I have yet to see a homemade family heirloom recipe made with tomato. When I started my current job, I made some close friends who all had family based out of the New Orleans area, and got introduced to the tomato based gumbo, court bouillon, and other such dishes. Equally tasty in their own right, I was just a little tomato-ed out from the Italian part of the family and never got a good grasp of the Creole cooking heritage.

It's been a very enlightening half a decade, full of loads of cooking gems of knowledge, and I can safely say that I'll be bringing all the goodness back to Colorado with me. They won't know what hit 'em.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Thanks all who answered.

What Ijaw said pretty much is what I have come to believe along with waste not, want not.

I appreciate the feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom