what rnd is this.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZombieHuntr

Out the box....
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    East Baton Rouge
    . Been cleaning through old **** in the house i just moved into and found a few of these rounds. Im not familiar with them cuz ive never had anything that uses em. It says 6.5 284. And lapua on it.

IMG_20121218_204107_780-1.jpg

Last edited:

La Rebel

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    I'm no expert but, the 6.5/284 started out as a wildcat round used by benchrest shooters. It is a .284 Win necked down to 6.5 mm. Since then, it is now commercially loaded and I know Savage chambers rifles for it and I'm not sure who else. Lapua does make brass for the round.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    It's hard to tell from the photo, but if it is as La Rebel said a 6.5/284 it will have a rebated rim case. This means the rim is a smaller diameter than the case body. When Winchester developed the .284 cartridge, the idea was to use a standard .473" bolt face and a short action, but increase the case capacity by making the case body a larger diameter. These were wildcated to .25 and 6.5 that I know of, maybe others. The brass has been made by Lapua, Norma, and Hornady. I'm not sure if they all still do though.

Last edited:

tashle1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Pointe coupee
    La Rebel and highstandart40 are right on. DO NOT TRY AND SHOOT THAT OUT OF A MAUSER!! More than likely it was hand loaded for a custom rifle chambered in 6.5x284 Winchester/Norma. I had one built a while back and it is a smoking lil round!!

Top Bottom