What Self Defense ammo do you carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My ammo choice depends on my carry weapon. I lean more to light and fast loads in the pocket pistols and heavier loads for the bigger pistols.
    I carry both 9mm and .40 S&W.
    I've been a fan of Corbon +p ammo since the 90's and still have a lot of it in both calibers that I purchased many years ago.
    The 9mm load is equivalent to .357 knockdown.
    My other choices in .40 include Winchester bonded or SXT in 180gr

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My ammo choice depends on my carry weapon. I lean more to light and fast loads in the pocket pistols and heavier loads for the bigger pistols.
    I carry both 9mm and .40 S&W.
    I've been a fan of Corbon +p ammo since the 90's and still have a lot of it in both calibers that I purchased many years ago.
    The 9mm load is equivalent to .357 knockdown.
    My other choices in .40 include Winchester bonded or SXT in 180gr

Modern 124gr. 9mm ammunition such as Gold Dot works well in short or long barrels.
    Does your 9mm load have 584 lb ft of energy and velocity of 1450 fps like .357 Gold Dot?
    Pistols do not have knockdown power.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm curious as why you are rotating ammo?
    That question is very vague?

I do the same, especially in hot summer months. Since I might have to depend on every shot to save my life, I don't wanna keep ammo in my carry that might be degraded in any way. Primers and powder can be affected by extreme heat and moisture. I usually keep a pistol in my car so it gets cooked near daily during summer. Guns I carry on my person get subjected to high doses of sweat and condensation that will find it's way to the ammo.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I run federal hst, buy the 500 round cases when it's available at decent prices.

I have Speer gold dots also but usually keep that in case something doesn't feed hst's but I haven't run across that problem

DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    357 magnum hand loaded with a 141 gr. cast wad-cutter bullet and 9.0 gr. of Hodgon HS-6 powder. Estimated velocity from a 2 inch barrel is about 1000 fps.

youcarrya.40?

No longer carrying a .40
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2017
    Amite La.
    Federal 124gr HST standard pressure in 9mm. I like the ballastic test results.

I agree, the cavity created in the ballistics gel test video I just watched on Youtube was impressive, and I've always been a fan of Federal ammo

Lucky Gunner performed what I consider the most impressive testing in 380, 9, 40, and 45; draw your own conclusions at:

www.luckygunner.com/labs

That is some great info - thanks for the link!

Common practice for LEA's and not a bad idea for anyone that carries a pistol daily.

Couldn't agree more, as others have said, ammo can degrade over time, I'm not willing to take a chance with my life....
    Years ago while out hunting I realized I had forgotten my new box of .30-06 at home, so no biggie, I reached into my hunting bag to find a couple of old rounds from 'who knows when' and loaded my rifle....a few hours later out walks a nice buck, rifle up, safety off, crosshairs on target and then....click....no bang, no deer in freezer.
    Unless I'm target practicing, my ammo will always be less than a year old.

Top Bottom