What size groups are yall shooting with off the shelf ar-15's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Like the title says, with good ammo and capable shooter/optics, what size groups are you guys shooting. I'm talking about with .223/5.56 with off the shelf average ar-15's from various brands.

I'd like to have a rifle that is capable of 3-4" groups at 300 yards(with good ammo) but i will never put a scope on my current DDM4. I just feel my 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider looks a little silly with that and a bi-pod and scope. Plus i want to keep it to a 75 yard and under good for use with a Eotech in the near future.

I looked at uppers(with longer barrels) and they go for damn near close to a whole rifle from Daniel Defense. Id assume for 200-300 yards, a longer barrel isnt needed for punching holes in paper. Also, i dont want to change anything on my current rifle. I rather keep her as is. She runs great as is.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Like the title says, with good ammo and capable shooter/optics, what size groups are you guys shooting. I'm talking about with .223/5.56 with off the shelf average ar-15's from various brands.

I'd like to have a rifle that is capable of 3-4" groups at 300 yards(with good ammo) but i will never put a scope on my current DDM4. I just feel my 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider looks a little silly with that and a bi-pod and scope. Plus i want to keep it to a 75 yard and under good for use with a Eotech in the near future.

I looked at uppers(with longer barrels) and they go for damn near close to a whole rifle from Daniel Defense. Id assume for 200-300 yards, a longer barrel isnt needed for punching holes in paper. Also, i dont want to change anything on my current rifle. I rather keep her as is. She runs great as is.

A good rack-grade M4 carbine is capable of 1-1.5 MOA 10-shot groups with a 20X scope and someone who knows what they are doing pulling the trigger from the bench using quality ammunition that the weapon likes.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I ahve a Olympic arms16" with a eotech that shoots 1moa at. 100yards, you don't need a lot of power in a scope, a1-4 compact would be fine and look cool also
    I have a 1-6 on another rifle that I just shot from 200 300 400 500 and 600 yards, 5 shot groups and kept them under 1moa
    I think small groups can be shot with any AR, tee tiny groups is something else, you need quality!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I ahve a Olympic arms16" with a eotech that shoots 1moa at. 100yards, you don't need a lot of power in a scope, a1-4 compact would be fine and look cool also
    I have a 1-6 on another rifle that I just shot from 200 300 400 500 and 600 yards, 5 shot groups and kept them under 1moa
    I think small groups can be shot with any AR, tee tiny groups is something else, you need quality!

Indians not arrows

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    As far as optics go, if your an older cat you will need the magnification...some of our younger members may not need that at all. You don't state how old you are but believe me, personally I went a 2X to needing more as I got older from say 40 to 50.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    My DPMS shoots just over 1" at 100yds. I had been using a 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff. I found I usually set it at low power, so in the interest of simplicity, smaller size and less weight, I recently changed to the Nikon P-223 3x32. Doesn't hurt none that it looks better as a result.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    16" CHF BCM upper shoots just under 1-MOA, with called fliers, prone @ 100 yards with an Aimpoint 4 MOA and Federal/Wally World 55 grain bulk pack.

Over the past couple of years, shooting pistol groups and such with "less than stellar" loads, I've come to realize that most guns are a lot more accurate than we give them credit for being. Any decent quality AR you pick up will almost certainly achieve your desired results, with any ammo that it doesn't absolutely detest.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    My 20" Bushmaster, which I sold, shot 1/4" groups with my hand loaded ammo. The 24X scope and JP trigger did help

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Aero precision upper
    Surplus arms and ammo lower
    CMMG gov't profile mid length 16"
    Using an aimpoint red dot

100 yards