What to do

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    I did work at a company that did government contracts under the ISO certification program. My job along with other things was a welder. I was asked by their QA/QC person while I was there if I was certified, and I told them I was not. thwy were going to get my certification because we were working a contract that required a lot of welding on critical vehicle components. When they found out how much it would cost for it they opted to not go through with it. I did 99% of the welding on the contract involving 39 vehicles and the other person who did the 1% was not certified as well. While I was there we had an ISO audit and I was questioned by the inspector. The QA/QC person was there and tried to answer the questions for me. The inspector finally told her to be quiet. I was able to not tell him I was their welder and there was not a problem. I found out later that on each vehicles welding procedures document they used a persons name that did not even work there at the time.

What would you do?

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    I did work at a company that did government contracts under the ISO certification program. My job along with other things was a welder. I was asked by their QA/QC person while I was there if I was certified, and I told them I was not. thwy were going to get my certification because we were working a contract that required a lot of welding on critical vehicle components. When they found out how much it would cost for it they opted to not go through with it. I did 99% of the welding on the contract involving 39 vehicles and the other person who did the 1% was not certified as well. While I was there we had an ISO audit and I was questioned by the inspector. The QA/QC person was there and tried to answer the questions for me. The inspector finally told her to be quiet. I was able to not tell him I was their welder and there was not a problem. I found out later that on each vehicles welding procedures document they used a persons name that did not even work there at the time.

What would you do?

That's a tight spot to be in!!

Blowing the whistle on fraud may cost you your job...but ethically it's the more right thing to do. Perhaps you can do so anonymously. But then again the contract may be lost when the truth comes out. However the truth will likely come out eventually anyway.

I'd contact the ISO audit people and tell the truth.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Do you have a future with this company either way? If they aren't willing to invest in a good welder they rely on to help him get certified, that's a big sign, to me.

It's still a pretty good market for welders, right now, isn't it?

How would you like it if you were the guy whose name was on the paperwork, and something went wrong and had to defend yourself? I know it's as easy as proving he didn't work there at the time those vehicles were done, but it's probably no fun to be under the microscope.

Tough call but so long as food is kept on the table, I'd try to do the right thing, even if it meant calling up people I know for a job elsewhere.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Not a welder but familiar with the ISO certification process and believe someone should be notified. If your company was concerned about your future and their contract, I would think they would have found a way to get you and the others certified to maintain the contract. Sounds like a company I would not want to work for as they clearly don't have your interest at heart. Find another job and then contact the auditing party. Shitty position to be in for sure. If they are scrimping on that where else are they scrimping??

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    I know there are ways around everything but I thought there was a law protecting whistle blowers? I would also consider how much time has passed i see contractors screwing the government a lot and usually the contracting officer knows. Before you hang yourself out there I would ask myself if anyone would even react to the info

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    They obviously are not looking out for you so I wouldn't put myself at risk to cover their ass.
    If they won't cover 100% of getting you certified ASAP I'd be looking elsewhere and move on and that would still be questionable. Then if you feel the need to further cover yourself from what happened there you could make some contacts and be upfront about the roll you played by doing what you were instructed to do by your supervisor.

Last edited:

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I don't think anything will happen accept possibly you loosing your job. As long as some one who was certified signed off on it then it's covered. They put there name on it, so that makes them liable somewhat. No connection to you means also no liability to you also. Was it inspected and then certified by the certified welder?

Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    I don't think anything will happen accept possibly you loosing your job. As long as some one who was certified signed off on it then it's covered. They put there name on it, so that makes them liable somewhat. No connection to you means also no liability to you also. Was it inspected and then certified by the certified welder?

When I say the guy did not work there it was because he was on workmans comp which adds a whole new spin on things in my opinion.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    I tell new employees that the hardest thing to do is: The Right Thing When Noone is Watching. All most of us bring to the table is our integrity; lose that & you may never get it back.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Iso is bs .

If you did your job, thats all you can do.

I will say it again ISO is ********.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

+1 iso means a whole lot of nada. its nice on paper but really doesn't count for much of anything and there will be no finding out later. the rest is your choice on how you want to proceed.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Once a company reaches a certain size, I actually like ISO. While it's a PITA (I've had to be the bitch in an office who took care of the ISO paperwork and inspection crap before) it helps accountability, consistency, and create a system to help reduce "monday morning specials" so to speak.

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Does the company owner know about this? If not, you may have a chance to make this right by going through him/her. If they do know about it, you have found out a lot about the level (lack) of integrity of the ownership. If that is the case, look for another job.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    If you wish to be respected in your skils and integrity, you will look for anothr job ASAP and get out of there.

Several major ethical issues with your employer here:

1.) Committing Fraud by allowing you to do the work under false pretenses.

2.) Committing Fraud by using an alias for contract certification.

3.) Workers Comp. Fraud by using the alias for contract certification while on benefits.

4.) Breach of Employment Promise to you for not paying for your certification.

I know this happens everday somewhere, but you have to ask yourself, "Do you want to be a part of it"?:puke:

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    If you wish to be respected in your skils and integrity, you will look for anothr job ASAP and get out of there.

Several major ethical issues with your employer here:

1.) Committing Fraud by allowing you to do the work under false pretenses.

2.) Committing Fraud by using an alias for contract certification.

3.) Workers Comp. Fraud by using the alias for contract certification while on benefits.

4.) Breach of Employment Promise to you for not paying for your certification.

I know this happens everday somewhere, but you have to ask yourself, "Do you want to be a part of it"?:puke:

There is also the not so small legal problem of the fact you KNOW these were fraudulent acts and could land your own tail in some hot water if someone else decided to blow the whistle.

Top Bottom