What would be the best way to tone up, not necessarily build muscle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I'm just curious as to why you can't do P90X...I just started it last week, so I haven't been through all the discs yet, but so far, there really isn't anything that is going to be bad on the knees. On top of that, I've actually read threads on the Beach Body message boards about people who had bad knees or bad backs and did P90X and it actually HELPED their knee/back.

Anyway, congrats on the weight loss! That's a HUGE accomplishment and you should be EXTREMELY proud and happy.

Oh, and I also gave up pretty much all drinks that don't begin with either a W- or M- and end with -ater or -ilk. I just started taking One-a-Day Men's Pro Edge, and I've been taking a whey protein supplement for a good while, but just started taking a 2 scoop serving per day since I just started exercising. I keep track with MyFitnessPal, but I do not do the no meals for 3 hours before bedtime, but I'm also looking to GAIN muscle mass, so I typically eat dinner about an hour before I hit the sack so my body doesn't metabolize everything and burn it off before I get to use it.

And, definitely, the low weight/high rep is the way to go in your situation. Me? I don't get the luxury of low weight until I'm already worn slap out from doing higher weight/low rep with P90X. It's fun, but it's tough.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    biggin215, if you dont mind me asking, what was your starting weight before you lost the 60lbs. I've been working on it since June, and have only managed to drop from 306 to 282. Feels good losing what I have, but I know I could have worked harder and progressed further. I have a hard time working out consistantly, but thankfully I've been able to stick to clean eating and counting my calories.

I started at 240 lbs and got down to 180... lighter than I was in high school. I kind of had a boost from depression because my girlfriend of 3 years broke up with/cheated on me but that is neither here nor there and I came out benefitting from that.

As far as my diet when I was losing most of the weight, I ate grilled fish/chicken and greens and very very very little carbs. When I did eat carbs, they were in the form of fruit or whole wheat. I didn't drink anything carbonated, all water for the most part. I never ate dessert.

It can seem pretty miserable, but you get into a routine and it's not that bad. Now that I am at a weight I am comfortable with I will diet just like above during the week, then allow myself a treat on the weekend like wings or a steak or somewhat less healthy meal at a restaurant. I hover between 180 - 185 which is a good weight for me. I am just trying to workout more now.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I'm just curious as to why you can't do P90X...I just started it last week, so I haven't been through all the discs yet, but so far, there really isn't anything that is going to be bad on the knees. On top of that, I've actually read threads on the Beach Body message boards about people who had bad knees or bad backs and did P90X and it actually HELPED their knee/back.

Anyway, congrats on the weight loss! That's a HUGE accomplishment and you should be EXTREMELY proud and happy.

Oh, and I also gave up pretty much all drinks that don't begin with either a W- or M- and end with -ater or -ilk. I just started taking One-a-Day Men's Pro Edge, and I've been taking a whey protein supplement for a good while, but just started taking a 2 scoop serving per day since I just started exercising. I keep track with MyFitnessPal, but I do not do the no meals for 3 hours before bedtime, but I'm also looking to GAIN muscle mass, so I typically eat dinner about an hour before I hit the sack so my body doesn't metabolize everything and burn it off before I get to use it.

And, definitely, the low weight/high rep is the way to go in your situation. Me? I don't get the luxury of low weight until I'm already worn slap out from doing higher weight/low rep with P90X. It's fun, but it's tough.
    plyo can screw up your knees if you don't know how to land properly (i.e. not on your heels).

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    plyo can screw up your knees if you don't know how to land properly (i.e. not on your heels).

I suppose. But, you can do Cardio X in place of it, but I have exactly ZERO clue what that workout consists of. It may be more high impact than Plyo, for all I know.

Anyone have info on Cardio X?

johnnyb333

vermicious knid
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Mandeville, La
    I agree with plyo being a bit rough on the knees. Even landing "softly" it still is a lot of jumping etc. I think its one of those things where if you don't have a knee issue, you will be fine. If you do, then it will find your weak spots for sure.

Cardio X is just a little bit of everything. It starts with yoga, goes into some kenpo, then some plyo and then finishes up with "superman" type core stuff. Its been a while, but I think that was the order. Its only 45mins. but it will still get you going if you go all out on every move.

clay7160

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    Abbeville, LA
    thanks for the suggestions....a coworker gave me some info from six week body makeover course that showed using resistance bands...but allot of them require you to secure bands to a door...my doors are hung too tight to the door jamb, making it more difficult than it should...so i am going to try a trial gym membership, and use the same exercises that target the areas that i want to tone, but use the machines at the gym and try to match them.....since the start of my 6th month, i have also added "burst training" = 3-5 sets of 30-60seconds bursts at 90-100% effort, it is supposed to burn fat for 24-48 hours after due to the release of growth hormones, (don't quote me on that ), according to studies i read online...what is nice, i alternate between my mountain bike and treadmill and my average workout time doing that style is 12-18 minutes every other day.

joey9139122

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    German volume training is great for your situation. It consist of 10 set of 10 usinng 60 percent of your max. It is easier on the joints and will build lean and tight without getting swole. Take Ono more than 45s breaks btwn each set and no kore than3 min between each exercise. It will keep tour headrests up and keep you loosing weight. You will also bbe surprised by your increase in strength through the program.

Check out bodybuilding.com for more info on this program.

deepsleep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    I do resistance bands in the back yard using an old post that the satellite dish was hooked up to . We got rid of the dish and got direct TV , but the post is still in the ground . I bought a strap type thing and hook the bands through it . I was afraid of damaging my doors by using the door stop devices . ( My husband would never forgive me for pulling the door off the hinges in the name of exercise .) Can you go to maybe a park that has either a vertical pole or horizontal pole that you could affix the bands to ? We have jungle gym type exercise equipment at a park in Metairie , and it occurred to me that I could affix the straps to some of the poles and workout there . It also gives one a change of scenery too !

Top Bottom