What would have happen if I had been approached?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    Last Saturday night, I was carrying concealed. I had my Texas and Florida CHLs with my Texas address and found out I did NOT have my Texas DL with my Texas address.
    I forgot DL was at home on the copy machine as I made several color Xerox copies of it (front and back) as I am planning to change to Louisiana fairly soon and will have to turn the Texas DL in.

I happen to have one of those Xerox copies in the car with me in the back. When I realized my DL was not in my wallet, I took the letter sized sheet of paper the DL was copied onto (front and back) and folded it up and put it in my coat pocket.

Would that, along with my insurance and all have been sufficient to prove I had a DL.
    In LA do you have to have a DL along with your CHL?

What would have happened if I had been approached and produced those items without the physical DL?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Well when I rolled up on a road block a few weeks ago when the northshore robberies were going on, the deputy asked for my license. I opened my wallet to see my CHL staring at me through the little ID window. At that point i'm thinking SHITTTTTTTT. My license which is usually on top of it was sitting at home on the copy machine. I handed him my CHL and asked if this would suffice. He asked if I was carrying and where. I informed him I was and he said just dont go for the gun :D. He asked to look in my truck which I allowed him to do because i'm not a robber, then he told me to have a nice day.

But then again, I was polite, and this isn't 3rd world New Orleans. Being polite goes a long way when dealing with the Po-lice.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    :eh:

You sure about that? I thought it didn't.

Not always. never could figure out why some did some didnt.

If you need a DL to back up your CHP, make sure you are not from out of state. I can get a LADL# confirmed by name and DOB in a minute if you are from LA. Out of state, depending on the state, can be impossible. Memorizing your DL number helps out a lot.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not always. never could figure out why some did some didnt.

If you need a DL to back up your CHP, make sure you are not from out of state. I can get a LADL# confirmed by name and DOB in a minute if you are from LA. Out of state, depending on the state, can be impossible. Memorizing your DL number helps out a lot.
    That's interesting. I know in OH, MI and PA it's true though I may have overspoken it SHOULD show up.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Would that, along with my insurance and all have been sufficient to prove I had a DL.

What would have happened if I had been approached and produced those items without the physical DL?

Does the TEXAS CHP has your DL# on it? The one in Louisiana lists on the third line underneath expiration date the DL# and then fourth line has what state it was issued on.

Also all the way to the bottom it lists my Louisiana Address which is obviously the same as my DL address.

On the other hand I have seen it when they run your DL through the system where it says GP Y/N so in a way its linked but it doesnt show on everybody.

Top Bottom