What's the deal on Permanent Muzzle breaks?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Is this muzzle break permanent?

Does the 16'' SBR rule apply to the barrel only or the barrel and muzzle break/compensator/flash hider or whatever?

It doesn't look permanent.

muzzle001.jpg

muzzle002.jpg

muzzle003.jpg

na006.jpg

na004.jpg

Thanks for playing :D

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If the muzzle break is permanently attached it counts as part of the barrel and is included in the length. Usually they are welded/soldered on.

Is that AR sparkly? :hsugh:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If the muzzle break is permanently attached it counts as part of the barrel and is included in the length. Usually they are welded/soldered on.

Is that AR sparkly? :hsugh:

That's what I figured, but does this one look permanent ? How can you tell ?

I think the flash makes it sparkly :rolleyes::confused:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Only way to know for sure is if you did the work yourself. You can't tell by looking at it. If you want to feel safe, remove the upper and bring it to someone who will remove it and reattach per ATF guidelines.

number1gilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Lafayette
    You see that off color spot in the fourth pic? That looks to be where the pin was inserted and then welded in place, thats why the finish looks different. The only way to get that off is to cut it, then unless you have a registered sbr you will have to have another re-attached permanently.

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    Usually permately installed muzzle devices are "blind pinned" and often welded over but not always. You could find out by trying to remove it, should be impossible without some destruction. I think I see where your pin was welded over.

Btw, barrel length is from bolt face to the end of the muzzle not including any non-permanent muzzle devices. So stick a cleaning rod down the barrel against the bolt and mark the end of the barrel on the rod then remove the rod and measure from the end of the rod to the mark you made. Should be 16" for rifles.

-James.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Usually permately installed muzzle devices are "blind pinned" and often welded over but not always. You could find out by trying to remove it, should be impossible without some destruction. I think I see where your pin was welded over.

Btw, barrel length is from bolt face to the end of the muzzle not including any non-permanent muzzle devices. So stick a cleaning rod down the barrel against the bolt and mark the end of the barrel on the rod then remove the rod and measure from the end of the rod to the mark you made. Should be 16" for rifles.

-James.

Could you link me to where you read that?

That measurement BTW is 16 1/2''

missingAZ

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Morgan City
    Sorry Hitman, I can't link my statement to anything as it is just something I have learned over the years. I am certain that is correct and I would imagine the ATF might have something to that effect on their website, maybe under NFA FAQs.

-James.

UNIQDEFTECH

Camp Slayer,Iraq
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    Kandahar ,Afghanistan
    Keep it light on the swing...correct the buffer spring that will not "bang ya"...lighten and smooth the trigger action with a freshly dropped trigger group..a choice 4x9 varible scope with a 45 degree docter red dot for tight work...

Top Bottom