whats the survival plan for folks up north when they get snowed in/no power?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    im told oil furnaces need electricity to work. whats the point of that? i never see them on tv gathering supplies for the snow storms.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I talked my ole Army buddy in Pittsburgh to get a whole house generator so that his 90+ year old parents don't freeze. I told him he'll be real popular in the neighborhood.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    If no one to spoon with, or no generator to plug into, we hitch up the trailer and drive to Brownsville, TX.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    I just got out of a very warm bath and while in there all I could think of are those guys up north with no warm water. And its actually cold up there!!!

Shikkapow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Lake Charles
    A 1500w honda will more than take care of the furnace problem. food storage is not an issue, and all you need is a grill and a small generator to keep the furnace hot.

if you run out of fuel, you get blankets. its not nearly as bad as post-harrycane

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I worked with a guy that transferred from New York to Baton Rouge and he was shocked everyone here didn't have a whole house generator. He says every new house built had a whole house generator when he was looking in New York.

Takuan

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    NOLA
    Growing up, we never had any whole house generator, and I don't think many people do now, either. We did have a kerosene stove if the furnace went out.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A 1500 watt generator will run the blower for a heater, but not run an electric heater. What if the natural gas supply or fuel oil is cut off? ( insert SHTF scenario of your choice) When I was a kid we lived up north (Canadian Rockies) and it stayed below 0F for a month! It got down to -40F without the wind chill! No heat = freeze to death.
    A typical home fireplace (24" or so) is not enough to heat even a 1500 sq ft home.

This is my first house without a fireplace. I really miss having one. Actually, I hardly used the things, but I miss having the option of having a fire inside.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd you're healthy the cold offers little issues... at least from MY experiences. Being on the road is an entirely different matter, however.

I've got a Wiggy's Sleeping Bag that's good for -40 degrees. I've kept the heat turned off and opened the windows in the dead of winter and STILL could not sleep inside the thing. Yea, it seemed like a gr8 idea at the time - but it's a keeper. I keep charcoal and a personal-size grill, firestarters are "all over the place" and I keep hotdogs and buns in the freezer plus other foodstuffs plus high quality protein mix and plenty of water.

The REAL challenge is when driving. What if your vehicle stops running? Gets real interesting real fast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom