What's the word?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Buzz words...the media uses them, oh boy do they. The firearms industry and community has their share of these words as well.
    Some are well worn, like the song you used to like to hear, but gets way too much airplay and you find yourself sick of hearing it. I find some of these buzzwords have reached the end of their usefulness with me, but I'll recycle them for this thread:

TACTICAL
    Lol, you can sell almost anything to a large corner of the market if you call it tactical. Rubber bands for holsters, those leftover widgets can find new life in the market if you can find a way to attach it to a firearm and add the word... Tactical

I'm fighting the urge to go further because I'd like some participation, but someone please cover "full auto fully automatic", "high capacity", "spec ops" and "clip" for sure.
    Please share with us those words that drive you crazy, get on your nerves or just make you laugh and shake your head.
    Have fun!

Last edited:

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    "Sniper Rifle"... That one always gets me turned sideways.

It's got a black synthetic stock and a scope, ITS A SNIPER RIFLE!!

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Meh... I know "clip" isn't technically accurate, but I don't let it bother me in regular conversation. I also refer to manual transmissions as "standards," though, so I'm probably pissing plenty of people off.

But I did win a 5.11 hat from a Hardee's cup that I'm pretty hesitant to wear because it says "tactical" on it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just a few buzzwords:
    High Capacity
    Ghost Gun
    Assault Rifle
    Assault Weapon
    Assault Clip
    Gun Violence
    Military Style

Then they inform the public that you can "Just go online and buy a fully automatic military style assault weapon with no background check!"

deleon-meme-2.jpg

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    "AR stands for Assault Rifle doesn't it!?"

I have had this conversation with too many uninformed folks.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    "AR stands for Assault Rifle doesn't it!?"

I have had this conversation with too many uninformed folks.

I've heard them say Assault Rifle and Automatic Rifle, but my favorite was someone giving another guy the lesson that "AR-15 stands for Assault Rifle Model 15."

What about "Gun Show Loophole"?

The Gun Show Loophole and the Internet Sale Loophole are my favorite.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    HA!! You guys are awesome.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Dave is killing me. And I had almost forgotten about the loser in the pic. I should keep that bit of video on file for future laughs.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Meh... I know "clip" isn't technically accurate, but I don't let it bother me in regular conversation. I also refer to manual transmissions as "standards," though, so I'm probably pissing plenty of people off.

It should! It is not a correct identification of the part. To me, it makes the person using that verbiage look uneducated. So in regular conversation (about firearms per se), I would tend to dismiss (either consciously or subconsciously), the thoughts of a person incorrectly describing that item in that way.

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    It should! It is not a correct identification of the part. To me, it makes the person using that verbiage look uneducated. So in regular conversation (about firearms per se), I would tend to dismiss (either consciously or subconsciously), the thoughts of a person incorrectly describing that item in that way.

Well then Tack driver should make you feel the same way :mamoru:

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC

I always assume they're talking about a M1 Garand or other clip fed gun. Like on the news when a witness describes a shooting and say stuff like "sounded like they emptied the whole clip!" I'm like "man that really narrows the gun down."

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Gen. Mills beat me to it. Now you got to splain it to the youngsters.
    The words that grate on my nerves start with obama, hillary, feinstein nbc...
    As far as Clip goes, blame the U.S. Military. I've watch a no. of videos from WWII were the instructor interchanged the words Clip & Mag. And I am not going to correct my Dad or any other Vet when they say Clip.
    Time to get out the fire suit.

chainsaw30

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Lafayette area
    " redouble our efforts" burns my ass no matter which lying p.o.s. says it, the muslim in chief seems to have wore it out though. Every time I hear it I know nothing is being done because the initial effort was `0 .

Top Bottom