What's wrong with these 2?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    What's your best guess as the cause and problems with these 2 deer?

Both are Beauregard deer if that helps.

Lets see if my picture posting Fu is still game on.

Attachments

• IMG_20231121_070410.jpg
      IMG_20231121_070410.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 201
    • IMG_20231023_082350.jpg
      IMG_20231023_082350.jpg
      34.8 KB · Views: 197

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I hate to say this but CWD may be the culprit on the first one. Hard to tell with the blurriness. Second buck just looks like a birth defect. Bottom of the stumpy leg appears to have hoof growth. I'm unsure what the states laws are on ethical culling but in my opinion they're both prime candidates for it. I'd hate to waste a tag on deer I couldn't eat but I also wouldn't want CWD or whatever genetic nonsense that is spreading.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Anyone know how to get pictures to the LDWF about these 2?
    This is inside the Lake Charles district.
    It's gonna be a frustrating experience but I'd check their website or give them a call. Here the link

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    No way to tell what's wrong with number one without an autopsy. If I saw this deer I'd shoot it and call a game warden. Second deer looks like an injury. I killed one like that several years ago. Plenty of ways for a deer to lose part of a leg. As mentioned above, it explains the lopsided antlers. The deer appears to be otherwise healthy.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Why
    Call Jonathan Bordelon. He is the Deer Program Director. He will not blow you off!
    318-487-5885
    jbordelon@wlf.la.gov

I hope that is not CWD! If that disease gets within 100 miles of East Baton Rouge; I will be done with deer hunting!
    Why would you stop deer hunting with cwd being found? There have been zero accounts of it crossing over to humans and we would need more hunters at that point to manage the population more tightly and to cull some . If you respect the animals don't give up when the healthy ones need ya more

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Call Jonathan Bordelon. He is the Deer Program Director. He will not blow you off!
    318-487-5885
    jbordelon@wlf.la.gov

I hope that is not CWD! If that disease gets within 100 miles of East Baton Rouge; I will be done with deer hunting!
    From what I'm reading its in Tensas parish so far? These are Beauregard deer probably pushed out by the fire?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    318-487-5885
    jbordelon@wlf.la.gov

His guess is its a viral hemorrhagic diseases such as blue tongue.
    They want the head if possible if I decide to pop the thing, but then again with the large cougar out and abouts I doubt I'll be out there by myself since my test***ls seem to have shrunken as I get older?
    Thanks

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    They want the head if possible if I decide to pop the thing, but then again with the large cougar out and abouts I doubt I'll be out there by myself since my test***ls seem to have shrunken as I get older?
    Thanks
    You've got cougars there, too? So strange. I'm constantly getting pop-up notices about cougars in my area looking for young guys. Who knew the population of large cats was that high?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    You've got cougars there, too? So strange. I'm constantly getting pop-up notices about cougars in my area looking for young guys. Who knew the population of large cats was that high?
    Look around man, This is also called a Pavement Princess.
    Good news though, these are easier to pick up than dry dog s**t so some of you boys are in luck!

Attachments

• stifflers mom.jpg
      stifflers mom.jpg
      105.6 KB · Views: 44

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Why

Why would you stop deer hunting with cwd being found? There have been zero accounts of it crossing over to humans and we would need more hunters at that point to manage the population more tightly and to cull some . If you respect the animals don't give up when the healthy ones need ya more
    I realize that is the case as of now, but I don't want to be a test subject either! Animal neurological diseases that are found in spinal cords, brain stems, and lymph nodes, ain't for me. If I need to keep shooting them to manage them, I will; but I am not going to gut them or clean them! I will keep shooting them in the necks, and give them away.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks
    I've had a few deer with blue tongue on my place over the years, but they never looked as emaciated as the one in your picture. This one below that my son killed, had it. Other than the deformed hooves, he was very healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_8736.JPG
      IMG_8736.JPG
      253.4 KB · Views: 43
    Top Bottom